Struggling so bad right now.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I was swapped on to mirtazapine from amitryptyline. I had taken amitryptyline 50 mg for 20 years. It stopped working to help me sleep so doctor did straight swap on to mirtazapine. Something I had taken for 20 years was stopped in the space of 5 days. I trusted her judgement but I was very wrong. It's 4 months now since I stopped the amitryptyline and I seem to be feeling more ill as the time goes on. I know people say its out of your system but my nervous system is constantly jumping. I'm hot then real cold my heart is beating to fast more often lately and my head doesn't feel right. Right now I feel horrendous that's putting it madly.is it normal still to be feeling like this 4 months later from withdrawal or is it the mirtazapine causing me more of the problems. I've taken 15 mg now for 4 months and not once has it helped me sleep. No appetite at all and no. Interest in doing anything. Feel like I've run into a brick wall and don't know what to do for the best. Any reply would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh this sounds tough!  If you were put on mIrt to help you sleep 4 months ago and it’s not working it sounds as if you need to see the Doc again, soon. I take Mirt 15mg at night for anxiety and depression and it’s helping

me, although sleep is up and down. I am so sorry that you’re struggling so much  ! I hope you have support get back to the Doc when you can.

• Posted

Thanks for reply Barbara. Ive got docs appointment in the morning. I'm not holding my breathe though as I don't think they know how these medications work and the affects they have on us. Its a different doctor this time so I'll hear what he thinks.

• Posted

Sounds like withdrawal to me. These doctors have no idea. I ignore them and follow the 10% reduction rule and that is often too fast. Maybe try and ask to see a psychiatrist.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Sarah so you think more problems I'm getting are still from withdrawal.?

When I start to taper it will be 5% every 2-4 weeks.

• Posted

Let’s hope a different Doctor will be able to see the bigger picture and give the help you need. Be kind to yourself. I hope you can post the result of your appt with the Doc on this site 
    • Posted

Im not a doctor but they sound like withdrawal. Also i would expect you to withdraw after 20 years with no slow taper
    • Posted

Think. I'm mixed up Sarah. I'm not sure what your saying.

• Posted

Im saying your doctor should have tapered your amytriptaline.
    • Posted

Hi Neilninja, 

This sounds like withdrawal symptoms from Amitrypt, definitely.  You don't need a p.doc, you need a functional doctor who can see through this unhealthy maze that your original doc' has caused by STOPPING a psyche med' without a taper.  Of course you should have tapered it slowly, Sarah is right, 5% every 2-3 weeks and if OK then maybe a little increased in % next time ... doctors have little training in AD's or Benzo withdrawal advice, its a great shame because we end up sicker than we did in the first place - rant over ...

Neither Mirtazapine nor any other AD can cover the WD symptoms from Amitryp, only Amitryp ... and then it may not work, or may not work immediately.  I would ask if there is another doctor who understands how these meds work within your practice.  

I'm sure you will recover in time, meanwhile think carefully should you want to quit Mirt', do it slowly, the 5% - 10% - so sorry you have had to go through this.  I wish you well, stick around and get support from these folk here who understand what you are going through.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hi Calmer went to see doctor yesterday. I went to see if he could give me any answers. He said to me there's no way I would be suffering withdrawal from amitryptyline 4 months later. He also wanted to put me back on it 4 months after taking it last which I told him no. Told him I didn't want my brain being messed about any more. He couldn't see my concern and thought it would be OK to do that. I take 15 mg mirt and he told me if I wanted to come off to cut 7.5 out and I would be fine doing that. I told him that is way to fast and he said to me by doing 5-10% every 2-4 weeks like I told him would take way to long.Everything I told him he dismissed like I was making it up he was useless and that's putting it mildly. I went to ask him what is causing me the racing heart being hot and cold head in a whirl etc the withdrawal 4 months later or the mirtazapine. He didn't even know that mirt came in liquid form I had to tell him thing thing he said was how expensive it was. I told him I could do my own when the time is right. He looked at me and said what do you want me to do I said to him I've come to try and get some answers why I'm feeling so unwell. I will not go and see that doctor again if he's the only one on duty I was fuming when I left as I'm irritable as hell. Anyway thanks calmer for your reply much appreciated. I just don't know if it's the right time to start tapering the mirtazapine? I don't want the timing to be wrong in case I'm in even

a worse mess if that's possible.

• Posted

Sorry Barbara I forgot to post. The doctor was a dead loss one of the worst I've ever come across. He dismissed everything I told him how I was feeling. I gained nothing at all from going just more useless and wrong information.if I'd listened to his advice God knows how I would end up.

• Posted

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re not getting the help you need. I have just started using lavender oil to help me sleep. 2-3drops rubbed between my hands then I take a few minutes to breathe in the smell as I sit in bed drinking a mug of hot milk, I have had 2 good nights sleep. Hope it helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.