Struggling so bad right now.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I was swapped on to mirtazapine from amitryptyline. I had taken amitryptyline 50 mg for 20 years. It stopped working to help me sleep so doctor did straight swap on to mirtazapine. Something I had taken for 20 years was stopped in the space of 5 days. I trusted her judgement but I was very wrong. It's 4 months now since I stopped the amitryptyline and I seem to be feeling more ill as the time goes on. I know people say its out of your system but my nervous system is constantly jumping. I'm hot then real cold my heart is beating to fast more often lately and my head doesn't feel right. Right now I feel horrendous that's putting it madly.is it normal still to be feeling like this 4 months later from withdrawal or is it the mirtazapine causing me more of the problems. I've taken 15 mg now for 4 months and not once has it helped me sleep. No appetite at all and no. Interest in doing anything. Feel like I've run into a brick wall and don't know what to do for the best. Any reply would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Neilninja - that doc sounds irresponsible. You might need a new doc. Mirt would be working after 4 months - but there are many who have negative effects from it. See another doc. You should be weaned off mirt and another med tried. So sorry to read what you are going through. 
    • Posted

Mist of them are wayne I've been to lots of GPS and there all the same. If you find a going one hang on to him or her because I'm having no luck.

• Posted

Amitryptyline is very effective for sleep. Unfortunately it typically can become ineffective after a time, typically not twenty years like yourself, so the withdrawal of it can be very extended considering the length of time you were on it. Mirtazapine is also effective for sleep, but not as much as amitriptyline. I'm not a doctor but I would stay on the mirtazapine for a longer period of time and 15mg. is typically a high enough dose to be effective. Actually, 15mg. is the appropriate dose when taken for sleep. Any more than that isn't effective for sleep and is effective for depression. Again, I'm not a doctor but I was on mirtazapine for sleep and it was more effective than sedatives like ambien. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi. Mirtazapine 15 mg hasn't help. Me sleep once on 4 months. Makes me wander If it's the withdrawal still. I'm still wifec314 hours after taking it.

• Posted

Still Wide awake 3-4 hours after taking it
    • Posted

I think the withdrawal symptoms are stopping the mirt working. After 20 yrs you would have extended withdrawal.
    • Posted

I was thinking that Sarah. Most people where I've read do sleep well on 15 mg. I want to come off the mirtazapine as I don't see the point in taking something that's not working. It's just knowing when I should start tapering off it. I don't want to be in more of a mess if that makes sense.

• Posted

Yes I can understand your fears about tapering Mirt' whilst feeling so messed up with stopping the Amitriip.  Maybe give yourself until the new year.  As long as you taper Mirt' very slowly, I would start with a 5% drop and just monitor any changes over a 4 week period to begin with, probably none will be felt, then you might feel confident to do another 5% for 3 weeks, tip toe slowly and you won't do any more hard to your CNS.  Think about it,  But no, your doc' is wrong to suggest dropping down to 7.5 ~ for the love of God above in heaven, why do doctors throw out such bad advice I'll never know.

Hope you get some rest if not good sleep, how many hours do you get on average?  

• Posted

Hi Calmer I get about 4 hours of sleep a night. Takes me about 3 hours to drop off. The strange thing Is I can drop off quite quick in the day. Do you think like Sarah said that the 15 mg of mirt probably isn't working because of the withdrawal off the amitryptyline? I've got everything ready to make the liquid when I'm ready.

• Posted

In reply Neilninja, its not that the Mirt isn't working exactly, its that no other AD can relieve symptoms of the withdrawal from the Amitrip.  So 4 hours sleep a night and how long do you sleep for in the day time?  Well at least its pleasing to hear you can sleep twice a day, not ideal I'll bet your saying.  I wonder if you cut the sleep down a little in the day time that you might sleep longer at night? 

It's hard to work the sleep when in WD, no hard and fast rules, but try not to sleep later on in the afternoon maybe.  I've been reading a lot about insomnia, its the worst wd symptom, I mean what do you do at 3 am when all you want to do is sleep ... ugh !!

• Posted

Hi Calmer it makes no difference if I don't sleep in the day it's still takes as long to go to sleep. If I do drop off in the day maybe 1.5-2 hours. But my head is so bad when I wake up in the day it's terrible.

• Posted

I see; oh well sleep is good, very healing, the fact that you are having a good sleep in the day time will really help you get through this.  Then the two sleeps will join up of course.  I hope you notice sleep improving little by little soon.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.