Struggling to cope with ibs

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, new to all this so bare with me.I have just recently been diagnosed with ibs after having blood test, stool test and ultrasound done, quite a shock to suddently be dealing with this, i'm 26 and feel my life is now on hold, I was put on mebeverine for a month and didnt stop the pains, so now on amitripyline for a month to see if this helps. Last month i was doing the low fodmap diet but as i was convinced i had an ovarian cyst i wasn't 100% strict with it, so started it properly now, I have been told to keep a food diary but my pain is constant i don't know how i can track this properly sad, since last November I have had constant pain, seems to travel all over, felt it in my thigh, and all over my back, upper and lower stomach, my ribs feel achy to touch, i find bending over i feel pain more, and when I am on the first day of my period it is very bad, had diarrhea with it, but calmed down to just once in the morning on most days, I worry about things like going to restaurants, and exercising again, i've read exercising helps i just worry it will make it worse, been advised by my doctor to go to holland and barrett and see what they have for ibs, anyone able to recommend anything?, I feel people arent taking me seriously like they see ibs as nothing and i'm always being asked why I am so quiet at times  sad 

1 like, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was just put on amitriptyline for my IBS havent taken it yet so it has not helped you at all 
    • Posted

I have only just started taking amitripyline as off last night, been told can take a while to work 
  • Posted

Amtrypolline does help to relax muscle spasms. After a week of starting to take it I felt much better. My advice is to be really vigilant in reading the ingredients of food products when on the Low FODMAP diet. I discovered that one particular supermarket own brand of tomato ketchup contains onion ( which is a trigger for me) whilst the leading brand doesn't. It's not something I would have realised simply by keeping a food diary unless I had  been meticulous about recording brands as well as foods. You might also want to cut down on the peppermint tea - any kind of herbal tea tends to react badly with me. Worth a try. 

Jan

• Posted

I tried peppermint tea but it gave me heartburn and did nothing for my pain.  Buscopan, painkillers, and plenty of fruit, particularly oranges help
    • Posted

I find the low formap diet isn't very helpful, I still don't really know if i am doing it right, i have the fruits i am allowed for breakfast, lunch been scrambled egg with lettuce, cucumber and tomato.Although yesterday for lunch i had gluten free beef noodles, today I had gluten free soup so i hope thats ok to have.  then dinner i have either fish,lamb or chicken then i have that with carrots,brocoli(don't have much), green beans and gluten and milk free gravy. i really like gammon so im allowing myself that tomorrow night and see what happens with regards to spasms. it doesn't say i can have that but make my meals easier as only meat i will eat hot and cold so i could use that with lunch too. i am thinking i have a problem with wheat and dairy, as started feeling better when i stopped having greek yoghurt and lacto free cheese. but then I had a few takeaways so can't confirm if its that, i mean i only find out a week ago that it was definately ibs so i wasn't being 100% with it, and last Friday i had a subway and had just ham and turkey with lettuce and cucumber and plan italian roll then i had some spasms which lasted about 30 mins. 
    • Posted

Ok I will lay off the peppermint tea for a month whilst on this detox, I know some people with ibs it has helped them, but then different for everyone I dont feel it always works for me, luckily I really like fruit, i tried ibuprofen and it flared me up. I will try buscopan see if that helps 
    • Posted

I too found herbal teas an issue. Many contain liquorice, which is high FODMAP, but I found even those that didn't a problem. I'm OK with one cup now though.
  • Posted

Where are you getting your low fodmap info from? Because broccoli is a big no for fodmap and ibs, and you can't rely on gluten free stuff unless you have checked all the ingredients first. Fodmap and gluten free are not very related.

Thigh and back pain are not related to ibs, and you said everything is worse on your period- has anyone ever investigated endometriosis?

Do try exercising, it's good for relieving cramps and reducing stress, which is a big factor in ibs flare ups.

• Posted

Back pain is related to IBS because the colon runs around your back.  IBS can also affect your period.  I have had both these symptoms and I was diagnosed with IBS.  I was initially confused with why IBS affects your period and I wrongly assumed I had endometriosis.
    • Posted

I had a sheet on fodmaps given to me by my doctor, says broccoli is a moderate fodmap and can have like half a cup of it, but i'm not having it every night.I was only getting gluten free stuff as i think i might have an allergy to wheat and gives me more freedom for my lunches, most days im having scrambled egg and salad for lunch. 

My doctor has told me back pain and leg pain is related to ibs, he has never suggested endrometriosis, I have had an internal exam on my ovaries and all came back fine, as i was told it was either an ovarian cyst or ibs. 

The first day of my period is worse, then it settles down. 

I am definately going to start exercising again, do some swimming at first. 

• Posted

You are supposed to be able to have half a cup of broccoli, but it's easier just to cut it out. Agree on the gluten free, plus I found that some of the wheat substitutes were even worse for me. What was best, if I could find it, was Spelt Sourdough, but I couldn't find it very often! For some reason I had much less of a problem with pasta than bread/cereal etc. But always YMMV.
    • Posted

That's interesting, all the fodmap info I was given said no for broccoli but anyways anything from that family (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage etc) can cause a lot of gas and definitely does for me!

I too find pasta less of an issue than bread. I think I have an intolerance to yeast.

• Posted

I agree, broccoli, cauliflower and any cabbage other than a small amount of kale aren't good for me apart from in the smallest amounts such as one floret of cauliflower or one floret of broccoli. Home made gluten free bread doesn't give me any problems but just because something is GF doesn't necessarily mean it is low in FODMAPs. 

Jan

• Posted

The absolute best place to go for FODMAP information is the Monash University website. These people have done most of the research on FODMAPs and have more up to date information than anyone. They even have an app.
    • Posted

Of course most shop bought bread contains all sorts of junk.
    • Posted

I am wondering what is the fodmap diet like?  What does it compose of?  I do not have pain, only ongoig intermittent diarrhea, unexpected, causing problems.  My MD recommended no dairy (hard cheese and greek yogurt is OK).
    • Posted

Put simply, it means avoiding foods which are high in FODMAPS. Lists of foods high and low in FODMAPs are readily available on the Internet. I would recommend you look at those from Dr Sue Shepherd - she did the research into the links between IBS and FODMAPS. The idea is that you start off excluding all high FODMAPs from your diet then gradually reintroduce foods so you can identify your triggers. It doesn't work for everyone, but worth a try. If you follow the eating plans given in Dr Shepherd's books then you will be having a nutrionally balanced diet. 

Jan

• Posted

Hard cheese (i.e. most cheese except cream cheese types like Ricotta) and greek yoghurt are supposed to be OK, because the lactose is removed in the making. Personally I found that too much could cause mild symptoms, but I suspect that I am more sensitive to lactose than some of the other sugars.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.