Struggling to deal with constant infections

Posted , 15 users are following.

hi there I'm so glad I went on to this website and read everyone's stories.. I've had COPD for about 4 years now,, for the past 15 years there hasn't been a year that I haven't went down with plurisey and pneumonia,, last October I came down with my usual chest infection,, went to the doctors and got antibiotics.. 

Finished my course went back to my GP as there was no improvement,, prescribed another course,, again no improvement..

i was on my 6th course then he arranged for me to go for a CT scan.. I was diagnosed with Bronchiectasis in December,, was given doxycycline,, different inhalours and appointment to see chest physiotherapist who taught me how to clear my chest..

for the past 6 months there hasn't been a week went by without me catching another infection,, I normally get one sometimes two good days out a week

was at my follow up appointment last Thursday and told her that nothing seems to be working,, I got a letter from her to take to my GP to say I've to be prescribed Carbocistiene...

Today all I have done is cry,, I'm 52 I live on my own and I would be telling lies if I said I'm not scared cause I am as there's day's go by I  don't see anyone and there's times I'm so weak my temperature is so high I can barley lift a phone...

having this condition has made me feel so alone,,, I don't speak to my friends as much as I used to,,  who wants to hear someone say 

"" I'm not feeling good ""

i am a strong person though was starting to give up on fighting this condition...

reading your stories has gave me that fight back and I would like to thank you all for that

lorraine

3 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Lorraine

Gosh, I feel for you. I know in the past I've actually thought that being like this is not living, its hell. Have some faith in that you will feel better at some point and you will learn to take control and understand your body. You will try lots of different methods but you will find some that suit you. You will start to feel better than you do now and you will enjoy some of your days. You will get there. Just be a bit patient for now and look forward to a better future. Have you tried a salt pipe which I find does help you to breathe easier, which is a start.

Hope you feel a little better soon but don't give up on yourself.

• Posted

I think how you feel at this time Lorraine reminds us all how we felt in the beginning, stick in there and do your research. Maybe there is a self help group within your community, sharing helps, good luck and keep in touch with us

Madeleine

• Posted

Hello Lorraine,

Sorry to hear you are so low,don.t let it get you,stay strong by doing or at least trying some of the things we all have been saying we do,especially some of the alternative remedies to help with your Immune system.

As for the Antibiotics just ask your GP,by being on this site I kept hearing about Azrythromycin,alot and now I have been on it for 3 weeks and it has helped alot I take it Mon./ Weds,/ Fri. and it has made a big difference,but I also stay on courese with my Nebelizer.

Take your time and just see what works, but don't let this BX win,you will do just fine.

Best Regards,

Charlie 

• Posted

Charlie, I started the Mon Wed Friday Azth. after you said what your schedule was. Easier to remember. How you been doing?

Russ

• Posted

Hiya, Boy what a change taking this Med I feel 100% better then I have in the past 3 years just got back to the states going to see the doctors soon.

Best,

Charlie

• Posted

Hey Charlie, I've been out for the count with a virus since Thursday. Temp to 103.4.

I'm glad you are feeling better. In general I am also. I ve only been on it for a month so maybe the results will improv enve more. The last two illnesses I had were both viral, not bacterial. I haven't been on antibiotics for several months. So thats good. 

What diet do you follow, vitamins, immunce system repininshment?

Russ

• Posted

Hiya Russ,

Sorry to hear about that Virus,also sorry to say that I got those stomach cramps and bad diarrhea so I'm off the Azrytromycin unti l I see the doc,but I must say it did work well to suppress all the BX symtems.

As for Vitamins,Natural,B / C probiotic CQ 10 as for Diet Chicken and Fish lots of greens.

Charlie

• Posted

Charlie, I hope you are going to be ok. I know you were happy with the results of the Azithromycin as I have been. There are studies that find it helpful for BRX infections, which seemed to be your experience for sometime and mine at the present time. My pulmonaty doctor did not want to take the AZ, but the my ID doc said it would be worth the try and so far it has transformed my life. I'll have to see what the future brings.

Keep me posted.

Russ

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

As a COPD sufferer, I can fully understand what you are going through. The constant infections, breathlessness, sweats, weakness, fatigue, headaches, sleepless nights and emotional stress - awful. Unless somebody had experienced it nobody has idea how horrid it is.

Having been a ‘super fit’ sportsman it hit me very hard, especially as I also developed some serious spinal problems before the COPD.

Regretfully, I don’t think we can give out e-mail addresses, otherwise I’d be happy to offer you some obviously much needed support. Regardless, all I can say (which may be of little comfort) is that we are not alone (no, I don’t mean little green men)!, there are many others like us, and believe it or not some are far worse … yep it’s possible!

What I find helps is taking my dog for a walk over the fields (I live in the country), trust me walking is not easy for me, but it does seem to help my breathing …. despite feeling utterly shattered afterwards.

Keep your chin up Lorraine and don’t be fobbed off by your GP.

Regards.wink

• Posted

hello lorraine

You really sound quite awful, I feel for you.  I have had Bronchiatesis for just over 10years, as you will have read there are quite a few of us.  Hopefully their support will help you.  I must agree with oldbloke taking the dog for a walk is beneficial,  I actually bought a puppy who loves going for walks.  I dont always feel like it, but I find that it

helps with the lung clearance when I come home.  Do you manage to do the  clearance?  The Carbo really does help to thin the mucas.  I have also found that getting  the antibiotics does'nt work without getting the steroids on the same prescription.  Keep on at your doctor.  Also find out which clearance psisiton is best for you.  I was taught to lie down on the bed, but after reading from other sufferers, i have found the doggie posistion is very effective.. Not very ladylike but hey if it works then so be it.  Best wishes to you.  I am 72 and still going strong even although I'm always out of puff.

• Posted

I agree Marion, antibiotics and steroids are the best combination.  I'm struggling from a tooth abcess that has been draining for some months (despite the Dentist slapping antibiotics and mouth washes down me) it has infected my throat, oesophagus and stomach - thankfully the tooth is due to be removed on the 25th.! So I shall be one missing, at 71 it's not bad going eh!

Fresh air is wonderful, but takes a lot of will power when you feel so breathless and shattered, but it works, so do old fashioned remidies such as steam inhalation.

• Posted

Marion, I enjoyed your post. I have a little dog also and he is very insistent on my attetion in getting him the proper exercise which does for me what you have said about walking your dog. (Also glad to hear that your dog does not affect your BRX.

I'm almost 69 now. There is still a young man inside of me that keep saying, "who is this old guy that I keep seeing in mirrors all over the place". It seems like a cruel joke, then I remember how much better I feel about my life now that I can look back on it from this point of view. It's a trade off.and a paradox all wraped in a riddle, but gee it's great to be alive. Even with a mess of an illness, its still a wonder.

Glad you are doing well,

Russ

• Posted

Thank you Russ for your post.  BRX can be a horrible thing, particularly if you let it get to you.  It's there so I may as well accept it.  I do believe exercise helps a lot. I can't do any gym type thing, so walking is easier. Even if I have to walk slower than the people around me. My daughter is a runner and my grandchildren seem to walk fast.  It's quite hard explaining to them why I can't move as fast as them.  To me it's like running and getting out of breath,but then feeling like that all the time after any exertion .  Has your breathing gotten any worse over the years ?  I read a brilliant way to hide the wrinkles.  "When you look in the mirror take your glasses off" keep young 
    • Posted

Marion, thanks for the letter back. I am making a big effort to get back to my normal level of exercise jusr a few months ago. I have a stationary bike that is qit great and is right next to my bed, that make it easier. I can listen to Richard Attenbourgh on Netflix while I am evercising.

Sorry your grandchildren don't understand. I was talking to an old freind tonight and we both realized how much we did not understand what our parent's behaviors or illnesses ment. I had not realized that. Maybe it is the same for them. So far I do not have shortness of breath, knock on wood. How is your SOB? 

I have used the glasses off trick and works. I just want to reverse time.

I keep thinking of what it was like when I was even 40 or 50. Maybe I should where sun glasses in the house.

It was good hearing form you. Keep me posted on your progress.

Best

Russ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.