Struggling to deal with constant infections

Posted , 15 users are following.

hi there I'm so glad I went on to this website and read everyone's stories.. I've had COPD for about 4 years now,, for the past 15 years there hasn't been a year that I haven't went down with plurisey and pneumonia,, last October I came down with my usual chest infection,, went to the doctors and got antibiotics.. 

Finished my course went back to my GP as there was no improvement,, prescribed another course,, again no improvement..

i was on my 6th course then he arranged for me to go for a CT scan.. I was diagnosed with Bronchiectasis in December,, was given doxycycline,, different inhalours and appointment to see chest physiotherapist who taught me how to clear my chest..

for the past 6 months there hasn't been a week went by without me catching another infection,, I normally get one sometimes two good days out a week

was at my follow up appointment last Thursday and told her that nothing seems to be working,, I got a letter from her to take to my GP to say I've to be prescribed Carbocistiene...

Today all I have done is cry,, I'm 52 I live on my own and I would be telling lies if I said I'm not scared cause I am as there's day's go by I  don't see anyone and there's times I'm so weak my temperature is so high I can barley lift a phone...

having this condition has made me feel so alone,,, I don't speak to my friends as much as I used to,,  who wants to hear someone say 

"" I'm not feeling good ""

i am a strong person though was starting to give up on fighting this condition...

reading your stories has gave me that fight back and I would like to thank you all for that

lorraine

3 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI PETER I IN SAME BOAT AS YOU LOL. JOIN COPD UK. ON FACEBOOK AND OTHER GROUPS  LOOK AT HERBS TO TAKE AS WELL AS MEDS. ALSO SALT PIPES --AND  ONE  HERB THATS INTERESTING IS ICELANDIC MOSS. !LUCK P!  KEEP FIGHTING LOTS OF INFRO OUT THERE  GOOD  LUCK PETER
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine,

So sorry that you are feeling this bad. I have read all the posts and what wonderful advice all around. I hope some of it can help you. Try to remember that everything always changes. So now that you are feeling so bad, you will eventually feel better. I am rooting for you and thinking of you.

All the best,

Ida

Ida

• Posted

Hi Lorraine! I hope by now you are feeling a little better. This is so frustrating and tiring to deal with. I have bx, pseudamonas and asthma for at least 2 years. There was a time I thought I would surely die a terrifying death but that did not happen. I am unable to work and that has really impacted my family. On days that are bad just try to get through it. Try to keep your brain on neutral if possible. Just try to get through the day. Sometimes the next day is better. We are here to encourage each other. I hope one day to maybe get strong enough to return to work. I wonder how many of us can work in this situation? Hang in there, you are REALLY not alone.

😊 Debi

• Posted

HELLO MY NAME IS PETER I FEEL FOR YOU. I AM IN THE SAME BOAT. ONE FEELS AT TIMES ONE IS SO ALONE AND THESE WIERD SENSATIONS ONE GETS AND THE  PANICS. HOWEVER THIS IS THE RIGHT PLACE FOR SUPPORT.AS WELL AS CARBOCISTINE -I TAKE HERBAL TEAS  WHICH CAN THIN THE MUCUS  TO HELP CLEAR IT . THYME HELPS AND THERE ARE LOTS OF OTHERS . A SALT PIPE ALSO. LIFE CAN BE GOOD.!STAY AS POSITIVE AS POSSIBLE..
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine,

The worse part of any illness is being alone, my heart goes out to you. There is nothing to take your mind off your breathing, so psychologically it will make matters worse. At least you can use this forum, there are some wonderful people on here, all having similar (and even worse) problems than you are experiencing.

As I commented recently, there are a few environmental things that can irritate our lungs – household dust, carpets that need a good vacuum (when you feel so shattered it’s so hard to keep up with housework), and of course pets, they have dust/dander in their fur which can be a huge irritant (I have 3 cats and a large dog – but will suffer the COPD rather than lose them). I point of fact a pet can be a great companion, I don’t know if you have a pet, if not it may well be worth considering getting one. There are cats and dogs that shed very little and do not carry much dust in their fur (poodles are a good example – although not a breed I’m drawn to, but they go from tiny to large). Dogs need exercise, I find myself putting the dog in the car (trust me at time I can just about put one foot in front ofthe other) and drive 1 mile to open fields, where I use a ball thrower to launch a ball 75 yards with little effort, the dog love to chase it, after 30 mins he’s shattered and I’m feeling far better after a good dose of fresh air.

What I have discovered is Manuka honey (it has to be rated at least 15+), this has a natural antibiotic agent and is used by the spoonful to help sore throats, also in drinks and can even be put onto wounds directly, all with great effect. It can be purchased over the net via Amazon or Holland and Barrett (they have an offer at the moment). Another good recipe is a tablespoon of Manuka honey in hot water mixed with cinnamon powder. Be careful, not any cinnamon is OK, it needs to be pure Ceylon cinnamon powder (available from the same places as mentioned above). It has a wonderful soothing effect. I expect you know about salt pipes, they are pretty good too at loosening and thinning phlegm, making it far easier to expel.

I hope this has helped you a little, please remember you are not alone.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Lorraine, Sorry to hear of your plight. I totally sympathise. I too live alone and have lived with bronx since I was a baby - I am now 68. I managed my condition quite well (not easy) until about 8 years ago when I got the pseudomonas (excuse spelling) bacterial infection which has made life much harder I bring much more rubbish up, and cannot tolerate the winter. I have friends and family who have no idea the extent of this condition. Its amazing reading all the replies on these forums, for years I thought I was on my own. Don't give up. It is a lonely condition but these forums make it a little easier to cope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.