Struggling to get over glandular fever after 8 months:(

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was diagnosed with GF in august 17 and only gave myself 3 weeks to recover before college started (stupid idea) relapsed at the end of october and i was more ill than before! I had tonsilitis 3 times in 5 months and suffered mostly with fatigue, nausea and terrible headaches. I was basically in bed until feb. I went back to college about a month ago, but the GF has left me in this wierd state, i cant concentrate on anything even having a conversation is impossible. My eyesight is really funny like im stoned and i feel like im not really here. Im having trouble eating which isnt helping my energy levels or brain function which means i cant do my college work because i cant take anything in or remember it! My memory is terrible. I feel like my brain isnt really theresad

Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any advice for me?

I just need someone to relate to, i feel so alone in this because no one gets what im going through.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there,

Sorry you’re going through this. Just wanted to let you know I completely understand how hard it is when others can’t understand what you’re going through. Keep reaching out here for emotional support, I think it’s hard for people to try and understand something like EBV or Mono. This is no normal virus. Hugs to you. 

• Posted

Hugs to you too Van, I know it's been an awful time for you - I can really empathise and feel the hurt you've been going through come across in your messages. Just to let you know that I'm rooting for you and I totally believe you are going to come through this, a healthy, happy, strong person. Just go slow for now and be kind to yourself, ask God for His help. Thinking of you.

Craig

• Posted

What a tough time you’ve had and are going through. I think GF is especially cruel when you try and push through it. Try and rest more if possible. 

My eyesight changed and I’m 9 months in now and only now can I wear my contact lenses - it’s funny after having an eye test it showed My eyes had changed shape. I wonder if that’s GF.

Brain fog and lack of concentration is hurrendous. Mine was really bad but over the last 2 months I’ve changed my diet to whole foods and can see huge improvemts my clarity is so much better.

If you would like any advice on this I’m happy to help.

If your based in the U.K. you could refer your college place and be able to access it free before the age of 19.  

I hope you start to feel better soon. I find that surrounding yourself with positive thoughts people and having something nice to look forward to help.

It gets better and easier it’s jusy sometimes we forget as it’s a slow recovery

Take care x

• Posted

Thankyou so much for replying! I would love some advice on what to eat, im having so much trouble eating. Every time i eat i feel really nauseous and i get a strange headache, and im not eating anywhere near enough. Im going to the doctors today and hopefully i can get something to help. But like you said diet makes all the differencesmile
    • Posted

Hi Maisie,

I found that if I had cut up melon, honeydew, watermelon and cantaloupe it was easy to eat. I also ate a lot of soup.

• Posted

Hi Maisie,

So sorry to hear you've been having such a hard time with GF, really empathising having gone through it myself many years ago. It is such a horrible and debilitating virus, I just want to encourage you that it does get better despite it taking such a long time. For me it took about 10 months to start to see a real turning point, I know it's different for everyone, but just want to reassure you that it is normal for you to feel this way and still normal for you to go on and make a full recovery - without any doubt I believe that you will, even though it may not feel like that now.

The brain fog and memory trouble can be a very common symptom I believe. If not already doing so, it can really help to take some vitamins and herbs to help with this - a good strong multi-vitamin per day, a B complex / co-enzyme Q10 vitamin per day (this is really good for brain function), high doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echinicea.

Hang in there Maisie, just want you to know there is hope and that you are BY FAR through the worst of this after so many months - don't panic if full recovery still takes a little while, that can be normal but things do get better and from here on in I believe things will move in the right direction. Hoping you are able to manage with college and stuff, just remember your health comes first and if you need to take time out it's so hard to deal with I know but please look after yourself and take the time you need.

Thinking of you and remember you WILL get through this and return to FULL health. Trusting God with that.

Craig

• Posted

You're welcome Maisie - hang in there and remember things WILL get better in time. Absolutely they will.

Craig

• Posted

Hi all, I know we all suffer from almost the same symptoms. Do you have specific localized symptom that never leaves you. Most of the symptoms I have experienced so far are on and off. But right sided throat pain for me is always there. I have developed also nose pain. I have difficulty of swilling hard food, My throat is always red and irritated. This is what annoys me most of all.

And I have another question. Did you have any major stress in your life before the onset of these symptoms? 

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Just speaking from my own experience, yes I had quite a stressful couple of months before the onset of glandular fever. There definintely is a connection between stress and the intensity of how it hits you I think. But it's not just stress of course, it's a real virus, it's just your body seems to be more susceptible when under stress.

Really hoping these horrible symptoms settle down for you Christine - still thinking about you and believing that you wil get through this and be back to full health again, given some recovery time - and each day is a day towards recovery, even though it doesn't always feel that way. The further you go away from the day of infection, the less power the virus has to harm you, until your body has it under control thanks to God's healing in Jesus' name.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.