Struggling with diagnoses.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 27 I got diagnosed with ASD a couple of months ago I have kind of come to terms with the diagnosis but I hate who I am I hate how I act and how I behave ... I understand this is prob to do with the ASD but I hate it and this wish I could be okay with who I am and how I act.

I work full time but I am almost always pretending how I am at work I do find work stressful I pretend I am okay when deep down I am hurting so bad.

I pretend I am okay for so long that often I break down and then feel terrible afterwards much worse then how I felt before.

I was at work today and I had a breakdown things got to much and everything got top of me.

I spoke to my manager and he said he is going to speak to HR on Monday and try and see what they suggest as my manager doesn't really have experience with ASD or borderline personality disorder which I have been diagnosed with in the past I sort of think ASD and BPD are quite similar in themselfs.

My manager suggested I learn self help techniques so I am happier at work it isn't really that easy.

I'm concerned that after my manager has spoken to hr that I will not longer be able to work there as I didn't disclose the BPD when I got offered the job am I going to loose my job because of this ?

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, work cannot dismiss you because you have autism, as it is classed as a disability and disability discrimination is illegal in the UK. Also, there is help available on NHS, speak to your GP. If the first one won't help, make an appointment to see a different one and ask again, and again. You will lneed to be persistent. Is there anyone who can help you and attend the appointment with you?

Your manager sounds like he is doing his best - he's asking for guidance because it's a subject with which he is unfamiliar. How did it work out when your manager spoke to HR?

Do work offer counselling? Or have occupational therapists (often, only the big companies do).

​There is counselling available. Do look up Autism Westmidlands, there's lots of information on that site about autism. You need to know what your triggers are for meltdowns or shutdowns and what strategies help - the more you know, the better you will be able to spot when something is building up and be able to diffuse it. Sensory overload is often a trigger.

​A simple idea that might help...go for a walk outside on your own at lunchtime. Also, do you have the chance to book a study room at work to be?on your own when it all gets too much??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.