Stubborn Men or Pushy Doctors

Posted , 9 users are following.

Good Morning all.  I am pist off today and I just have to write this because I hope no other men go through this. It is a mans right to have any procedure he picks if he is well informed.  Well I have a friend that he daughters boyfriend is having surgery on Tuesday.  I ask her what kind is he having she told me I think it's called a TURP.  Well you guys know me Not a fan but if that is what you deside go for it.  Now he came in and he is about 60.  Had to have a catheter put in because he can't pee.  I ask him if a Turp is what he is having he said yes  I ask what did the doctor tell you about it.  He told me that he is going in with a little toll and make a small hole.  I ask him if he looked at the video.  He told me no.  I said that they are going in and are going to cut out at lease 80% of his prostate.  I ask him if the doctor told him about the side effects leaking, bleeding. incontinence pain and retro ejaculation.  He ask me what was that.  He then told me that the doctor told him that all will be the same and there will be no change   I told him that he should  have ran for the hills.  I ask him what type of test the doctor gave him to determine that his prostate is the problem.  I ask how big was it.  He said none and he has no idea.  He just had a catheter for 2 weeks because he could not pee.  I ask him did you get a second opinion he told me no.  He is taking this doctor word that he has only seen for 2 weeks.  I told him and his girlfriend he is rushing into surgery because he does not want to were a catheter and he is in pain.  He is letting the symptoms push him into surgery.  I think his prostate is fine and he has a problem is his bladder.  But you can not tell him anything.  I wish him well but he deserve anything he get.  I feel sorry for his girlfriend because she is going to have to put up with him.  My reason for writing this is that please men don't get pushed into any surgery without having all the test to determine what the problem is because once you start cutting away at the prostate there is no getting it back..  There are so many other procedures out there that may work just as good.  Even CIC can help.  Many men have healed there bladder and did not have to have surgery. Thank you all and I hope you have a very nice and healthy Easter  Ken 

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well, if you  told him what you know, you've done your part. Mind your  own business. I was almost pushed into surgery. By the  grace of God I couldn't do surgery the day I was scheduled. I started researching TURP and realized what a bad  decision it would have been. Your friend should at least look intp less invasive surgery like HOLEP or GL

• Posted

Yes I tryed.  Sometime you can't tell some people anything.  The doctor did not tell him a thing   I asked him how big is your prostate was I got I don't know.  He also told me his friend had a turp 2 years ago .  I told him your not your friend what worked for him may not work for you.  He did no research on turp so let him deal with it.  Have a happy easter to you and your family..Ken

• Posted

So no testing just go in and cut? And what if it's something else and he can get in to cut? Wow.

• Posted

That what I said.  He has no information about anything.  He never went to a office to see a doctor.  The second time he went to the hospital and they put a catheter in the doctor told him he would set it up.  No test no information no nothing.  I told his girlfriend that he is doing this because he does not like having a catheter and he thinks this  is a quick fixs.  She agreed with me.   He going to get a surprise.  He deserve everthng he gets.  I still think it is bladder.  I did my part I told him all that I can  Take it easy  Ken  PS  I told my doctor and told him what hospital.  All he said was that he was not surprised. 
    • Posted

Wow. A second opinion wouldn't hurt or take long. How can a doc do that. That's crazy. So he convinced him his prostate grew over night? Feel sorry for him. He's gonna find out a couple days after surgery that his problems are far worse and the surgery was for nothing. Then what? He's still gonna need the second opinion but it will be to late I think. I am speechless man. That's not right.

• Posted

As you know I'm not a fan of the Turp procedure but if that is what you want go for it. But after you have the test to find out if the prostate is the problem.  He will find out today that the pain from the catheter is nothing compared to having the prostate cut out. He just took that doctor word in the hospital not even seeing him at a office.  No man like a catheter but sometime is has to be done.  My urologist is a good guy and would never rush anyman into a procedure.  He make sure there is no other hope.  He does very few Turps only as a lasted resort after all other opinions.  He feel that they are barberet now with all the new procedure.  Take care While I have you on  How are you doing   Ken  

• Posted

I'm doing ok.  Just got back from by heart doctor and he took me off another pill.  I just got back from Las Vegas  I never know a five hour fight would mess up a prostate.  Could not do what I was looking forward on doing .  My urologist told me that sitting on your prostate irritate it and cuts off some of the circulation to it.  Learn something new everyday.  I will be doing alot of travel this summer going to make sure I get up and move around.  It's hell to get old.  We never had that problem when we were younger. Anytime you wanted to when we were young we were ready to go.    Take care  Ken  

• Posted

Lol when we was young they always said getting old sucked. They never said it would be so bad. Lol. TC man
  • Posted

Wow. My superb Uro first did an instant TRUS on the couch. It took 10 minutes and showed my prostate was really large, showed the rough shape with a middle lobe protruding and that my bladder was greatly enlarged. All useful information done with an ultrascan unit he had in a carry case. He sent me for urodynmaics testing to check my bladder wasn't dead; it proved OK but he thought it might not be. I was given self-insert catheters in the meantime but one day they wouldn't work. He did an instant Supra-pubic catheter lasting 3 months which was fine. He offered me a choice of prostate ops but suggested his colleague was an expert in HoLep so sent me to him. Yes, he was also a real expert and the HoLep was totally successful. There are good uros around and to do no testing and just dive striaght into standard TURP is ridiculous.

• Posted

Yes before picking a procedure you should have some kind of test to see what is wrong.  But some people don't listen.  There are many other doctor do around the same thing.  There is a man on here now that the doctor talk him into having a Holep and a bladder neck incesion for prostatitis.  That was wrong It did no good and he is in worst shape they he was.  No trouble going to the bathroom just could not deal with the pain.  He is in the UK.  I hope me men that are reading this will think before they do anything and get a second opinion. Take care  Ken

• Posted

Dear Kenneth  ,                  

You have  informed your friend ; Its upto him  now .   Perhaps You may like  to  inform him about  alternative ( Less Invasive)  Procedures  : HoLEP, PAE ,Green light  etc .

Best Wishes :  Jagdeesh, 

• Posted

I tryed he would not hear of it.  He thinks this is a fix all and sometime t work ut sometimes it causes more problem then good.  My doctor did not say to much about the hospital he is having this at.  No test never been to the doctor office.  He is going to be sorry.  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.