Stuttering or possible meningitis with mono?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm trying to stop freaking out in the forums so much, but this time I really feel like I should ask since the doctor's office isn't open on the weekend. My neck has hurt and been really stiff for two days now. I haven't had others symptoms of Meningitis (apart from a headache yesterday but it went away), but I've stuttered a few times today which I've never done before and it really worries me because I haven't seen anyone else mention this with Mono, but I have seen that Mono can cause Meningitis. Has anyone stuttered from Mono or ended up with Meningitis while having Mono?

0 likes, 72 replies

72 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I also forgot to add that two other Meningitis symptoms I've had are light sensitivity and sleepiness, but since those can also be from Mono I'm really unsure about those.

• Posted

Hi Ciela

Yes I have had the viral meningitis potentially caused by mono (docts suspect it was ebv but didnt catch it in a blood test). Ended up in er as I didnt know who I was, where I was etc. Had the stiff neck, light sensativity, shakes, migraine with aura and tingles down one side. I dont remember much of it really but I do remember being so scared. Unfortunatly for me, the doctor in er said I had gastro and sent me home. Didnt find out till 10month into suffering from mono that it was meningitis.

Im sorry I cant really give you much more reasurance than this, but if you are concerned that you are developing meningitis (and your docts are not open) then go to the hospital if you can. Where I live there are GPs which operate everyday out of the general hospital.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Sweebee,

Did you get a lumbar puncture at 10 months to determine it was viral meningitis? I have shakiness, headache and weakness for 9 months now and am getting a 3rd MRI (now with contrast) next week and possible lumbar puncture if anything of concern shows up. I am trying to be patient with my symptoms but it is hard not to catastrophise having been sick for so long.... 😦

I hope you are better now....and Ciela, hang in there!

Kiki

• Posted

Hi Kiki,

Oh goodness I do empathise so much it's hard not to catastrophise having been doing it so much myself lately when symptoms appear and with a cyst they have found in my psoas, going to see another consultant about that next week and it's got me kind of worried, just don't think I could cope with any other unsettling or difficult news or information at the moment.

Just hoping so much that your MRI scan can bring some reassurance and hope this time round Kiki. I've had I think 6 or 7 MRI scans on my back in the last 18 months and just want to stay away from hospitals and scanners now so much. Hoping we can all be well enough to stay away from those places!

Hoping Kiki that these have just been part of the symptoms of the mono and I know you also dealing with another virus too, I can only imagine how tough and low the experiences of this last year or so must have been for you Kiki dealing with so many things at once. Just hoping and praying for breakthrough and a turning point where all these symptoms cease once and for all and you start to get your health and confidence back again.

Still thinking about you and believing you are going to be FULLY over this and well again, and that 2019 is your year of total recovery. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

Thank you so much for your words and comfort and prayers at this very frustrating, lonely and bewildering time. I am trying so hard to stay positive but I worry about ME/CFS or other another depressing diagnosis. Worrying doesn't help of course but it is so hard not to. 2018 has truly been my 'annus horribilus' as I know it has been for you too. I am hoping that 2019 will be the year of FULL recovery for both of us.

Kiki x

• Posted

Hi Kiki,

Unfortunatly they didnt do a lumber puncture as it occured sept last year, so my GP said she discussed it with a neurologist and it wasnt worth going ahead with the lumber as the virus is long gone. It sucks because if it was handled better by the er back then (and did the lumber puncture), maybe I could have been signed off work for longer than 3 days and could have rested/recovered faster. This really does upset me alot but theres no point in dwelling on the past as it doesnt help the now.

I can sympathise with the shakes and neuro issues.....looking back these horrible symptoms were still present for me right up to around 10-11 months. Currently heading into 14 months and these symptoms have gone, although they sometimes come back when I catch a cold or do too much. So dont get discouraged. Having MRIs is a good idea to rule out anything nasty.

I do feel alot better than I did this time last year, but still along way to go. All one can do it look back and apreciate how far you have come, and try not to think about how far you have to go. One thing that I miss the most is being able to exercise. Will never take that for granted ever again. We will ALL get better! Its only a matter of time, however long that may be. Its funny but when you talk to people....theres alot of people who knows someone who has gone through this (or something simiular), and they ALL have made a full recovery although it took them over a year or two. Personally Im trying to think of this experience as something that happened fir a reason , where I need to learn something from it.

Sending love

Sweebee

• Posted

Hi Kiki,

Thanks so much for your encouraging and supportive words too, it always helps and warms my heart most definitely to read kind messages full of hope.

Oh I know I do wish we could stop our minds from worrying, God tell us not to worry and just take everything to Him but it's much easier said than done, worry and anxiety and stress are such awful and frightening things and I do hope that God can set us free from them as He brings about recovery in our lives.

Remember Kiki the first year of the virus is the awful and intense and scary bit - I know you're still in that but just want to remind you that it's very normal to be going through this in the first year and it doesn't mean ME/CFS, I absolutely believe that given my own experience and what I've come to learn about this virus and how recovery goes and how long it can take. The post viral stage of this virus is extensive due to the nastiness of the virus but it really does take your body proper time and space to recovery - but I still believe it's so important to remember and hammer home the difference between post-viral and ME/CFS which so many doctors don't seem to either take the time to consider or whatever - post viral DOES get better, it just takes time, and I know you must be so weary and fed up Kiki. Lonely and bewildering are words you've used but the pain and reality behind those things means words cannot do it justice how deep and awful the suffering is, especially at the worst and lowest moments.

I know that too from some of the awful moments have been through this year too Kiki and know you how it feels. Just want you to know I'm still thinking about you and I absolutely agree with you that FULL recovery is on its way, and it's not a matter of if but a matter of when - so hard to be patient and live through it I know Kiki but remember you are weathering the worst of this and the phase is coming where this loses is sting and can no longer harm you like it has done this year. Hoping and praying very much for 2019 to be a year where God can restore us and build us up again and give new life, hope, freedom and purposes for us! Hang in there and sending best wishes and hugs!

Craig x

• Posted

God willing 2019 is going to be one of hope and recovery Lori for you - I do believe that and remember there is hope!! Thinking of you x

• Posted

Hi Sweebee,

That's a beautiful message you wrote and words that should offer real hope and encouragement to everyone in the midst of trials right now, that everyone on the site will get over this and get there, even if it takes a bit of time. And I agree that God has a reason for these things, and the reason is not to crush us or beat us down, but for positive reasons in our lives in the longer term - sometimes it's not until much later on we can see and piece together how if this hadn't happened then that later blessing or good phase of our live may not have occurred. Hoping and praying for God's good plans to come to pass in your life and for everyone on the forum!

Definitely agreeing too that the nervous system can be shaken by this virus but that it is only temporary and things do settle down with these symptoms as time progress until full recovery is reached.

Hoping for a good and settled weekend ahead for you Sweebee and continuing to think about you and believe that you are going to feel MUCH better in the future and feel free, healthy and happy again, and a stronger person for what you've been through. I truly believe you will be fully well again, you WILL be!

Craig

• Posted

Hope you have a more settled day today Sweebee, still thinking about you each day, still needing lots of help and encouragement myself right now and grateful for your support too!! You hang in there and I still have tremendous faith in your complete recovery. Remember just take things at at pace that is good for you right now, no matter what others may expect or try to push you with, just listen to your body and do what's right for your recovery right now! x

• Posted

Hi Sweebee,

Thank you so much for replying. I just got checked by the doctor again yesterday, and while I didn't tell her about the stuttering, since I now suspect that may be caused by a mix of brain fog and anxiety, I told her about the stiff neck and she didn't seem very concerned so I'm hoping it's just part of the healing process...

• Posted

Hi Ciela,

Goodness so sorry to hear about all these horrible symptoms and worries you have been going through. It is so natural to go through worry and anxiety about all sorts of things and possible other illnesses when going through this, I remember going through that myself and it really is the worst feeling and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I do hope that these dreadful symptoms can settle soon and that maybe seeing a doctor or someone with good medical knowledge / insight can help put mind at ease somehow - definitely do seek out the doc that's what they're there for, no matter how many times you need to keep going or whatever. This virus is classic at being so horrible and intense in its symptoms and how it makes you feel that it can make you worry about all sorts of other illnesses too and I went through that horrible cycle too of googling things and getting myself into panic about all sorts of things.

Remember that the vast majority of people with mono get fully well again and recover, but that it can take time and so hard mentally and physically to go through I know. It always helped me to remember that they say 90%+ of the western world get infected with EBV (virus that causes mono) at some stage in their lives, many as a child when they don't get so ill for so long like an adult does from it, and that these people recovery and generally move on without other health issues or complications.

Hang in there Ciela - you will get through this and get better, I do believe that and will say a prayer for your recovery. And of course do see the doc if concerned and hoping they can offer some reassurance and good support.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

Thank you so much for your prayers and support, it's greatly appreciated. I went in for another appointment yesterday and told my doctor about my neck and joint stiffness along with my full body weakness and as it's only been four months of me being sick now. She didn't seem very concerned about my symptoms or do another blood test so that was a bit of a reassurance.

• Posted

yes sounds like my drs ....there is no cure so just keep doing the blood tests . i just did one to see where my levels were at ...thought if it was lower would cheer me up .... but unfortuntely not much difference.

• Posted

Hi Ciela,

Hoping so much that the blood test can offer some reassurance, just remember what you're going through most definitely can be classic mono, these awful multitude of symptoms and just generally not feeling well, but that it does get better with time and 4 months can still be very much in the eye of the storm so to speak, but that it will pass over and you will get back to full health and strength again - just take things in the present moment though and managing and coping with each day when going through this is by far enough and all anyone can do.

Thinking about you Ciela, I have a few doctors appointments / tests this week too so just hoping God can guide us through them safely and smoothly and without any harm coming to us.

And remember you ARE going to get through this and be well again - I truly believe that you will be Ciela, and don't panic if recovery isn't overnight or immediate, because it will definitely come and this doesn't last forever - it really doesn't.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.