Subclinical Hypothyroidism?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all

I was recently diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism TSH 7.8 not sure what T4 is but think it may be in the normal range if this was the diagnosis.

I was told that i would not be treated if TSH is below 10. I have symtoms of tiredness, flat mood, really heavy periods, weight gain that wont be shifted, high cholesterol and can tick a few others off the extensive list. Im just trying to inform myself before going back to GP. I have read that it is at the doctors discression if a trial period of treatment should be given if TSH is below 10. (Apparantly the cut off is 2.7 in USA!)

Ive been looking at thyroxine tho and it seems people are having loads of problems with it. Weight gain etc..

I am a 43 year old busy mum.

Not sure if I should just put up with the symtoms I have now. rolleyes

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

Well my TSH is still suppressed at -1 well it was on Jan. My T4 was 10. My endocrinologist said regardless of TSH if my T4 goes lower they will treat. So I don't know why the rules seem to differ. From what I've been reading different endocrinologists seem to have varying views of when to treat or not. Maybe it's because my hypothyroidism..If I do have it..is caused by radioactive iodine treatment. Anyway..I don't think you should have to put up with symptoms. If they are bothering you. Your GP might let you have a trial to see if you feel better. I expect there are more knowledgeable people here than me though.

Good luck Taz x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.