success of ablation??

Posted , 12 users are following.

how many out there have had ablation, repeated ablation, and how many has been successful, and for how long?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had mine at Barts London in February 2011. And worked great apart from a few short blips, until February 2015 when I had an unrelated heart attack that required a stent. The AF started about 3 weeks after the attack. I get them roughly once a month lasting 12 hours, mine make me feel rough and unable to do anything physical.

Waiting for another ablation.

• Posted

Am only nine weeks into my first ablation, but sos far, so good, no Afib at all during the 'blanking period' let's hope it stays stays that way.

• Posted

Had 4 over 2 years for Flutter and Tachycardia. Unfortunately none were successful. Meds work better for me.
  • Posted

Three sets of ablation over 18 months. First one at St Mary's Paddington then the service transferred to the Hammersmith Hospital. 

First one very long and under sedation not GA. Ghastly - kept coming round from arthritis pain. 7 hours on the table all four veins/arteries ablated. So drugged up I didn't come round until the early hours of the morning. Very bumpy period afterwards where GPs kept sending me to hospital to see cardiologists who said oh dear and consulted the electrophysic team. First 3 months should be "blanked" to allow scar tissue  to repair. Pity no one else let alone me knew. 

Ended up on amiodarone until the 3 month mark consultation. Taken off but soon had renewed problems but a different type of arrthymia - not the orginal.

Ended up in A&E multiple times:  more than one sent by GP because of high BP and very fast heart beat 180 to 200 range which I couldn't feel.

After a 3 month wait and encountering the docs who had carried out the orginal ablation during my A&E / overnight hospital visits to slow down the heart, I was told I needed another ablation by the rather cold fish consultant.

3 months later another ablation was carried out under GA (much better - felt human afterwards) 5 hours on the table. Unfortunately I developed a urinary tract infection, treated by GP with antibiotics, once and then twice stronger dose but started developing arrythmias - different again. Sent by GPs to A&E/ hospital twice and by myself twice.

Ended up in a cardiology ward where after repeated attempts to sort out the arrythmia: intravenous drugs, cardioversion more drugs I developed Sepsis, which presumably had been the underlying cause of the continued problems after the 2nd ablation.

Sent home after 11 days taking amoidarone again and eventually after waiting for appointments I was told I would need a third ablation. I promptly went in to work  the next day and announced my forthcoming retirement! Trying to work through bad AF episodes (A uni lecturer) had become impossible. I was not going to do it anymore...

The third ablation was pleasant compared to the first two and worked and is still working after over two years. I'm so much fitter (thank you dog) and have moved into the countryside. My quality of life is much better, just have to contend with the inflammatory arthritis ah well cant have everything. I did ask my London GP for a prescription for a new body - after a stunned moment she laughed - not yet available she quoth. Here endeth my AF epistle! 

• Posted

You have been through the wars and I commiserate with you!

I have had two ablation and suffer from arthritis in my hips and back. I had a total hip replacement last December and the next one is booked for August.

Of course, these operations depend on the condition of my heart which hasn't been great and I had to have two previous dates cancelled because I wasn't strong enough to go through the trauma.

I'm miles better now and beginning to enjoy life again.

All the best to you.

• Posted

you sound like a real character and a great sense of humor- especially after all u have been through. i know eveeyones experience and risk factors are sifferent, but i appreciate the feedback.

my decision is i am not going to have an ablation--yet! and if u get

that rx for a new body, ill come to london and see your doc.

carol

• Posted

Dont wait too long! Paroxysmal AF can easily turn into permanent and ablations are not very succesful then. But you will know the point when your quality of life becomes jeopardised. If you cant do what you used to do - Act!
  • Posted

First ablation December 21st 2015 at a local hospital.  Results much worse than before.  As a consequence I went from occasional to permanent afib and (new) atrial flutter.  had to stop going to work for two month.  Became cardiac cripple.  Rest heart rate never went below 85 and often went to the 160s.  Local EP unhelpful.  I contacted Brigham and Womens hospital in Boston.  They graciously scheduled me for a second ablation on April 14th.  As of last Friday, my cardiologist pronounced me cured.  No afib, no flutter, PACs subsiding.  Moral of the story: avoid local practitioners.  Have it done at a nationally recognized center.  The EP at Brigham and Womens saved my life!  I shall always be eternally grateful for this second chance.
    • Posted

P.S.  I have not been on any antiarrhythmic drugs since the second ablation!
    • Posted

wow! mine is occasional( 3 short episodes in 40 days. and i just dont feel i am mentally ready for ablation.

i started out 4 episodes in a week, lasting all day, but now have spaced out with 2 hours being the average.

i believe mine started because of a reapiratoey infection that lasted about 5 months and a cough u could shake down the house with.

thanks for your input and hope u continue to improve.

• Posted

Last night I had my first glass of wine in 11 years.  Result: no afib or palpitations.  (Any) alcohol used to trigger afib attacks, so I avoided it.  Apparently, I no longer need to do so!

Ablation by a skilled practitioner really does work.  Ablation by a less-skilled practitioner can leave you far worse off than if you did nothing at all.

• Posted

Yes, skill level of the practitioner is very important Mike.

There are also a number of other factors that come into play as well though.

Addressing your risk factors is also right up there as well.

just been 'stalking' my EP online again and found a fairly recent interview he'd done at a conference for the JACC 

If you do a Google search for 'Prash Sanders and JACC', then click on 'videos' (to the right of 'images' on the results page) it should be the only thing there on the page.

Well worth a look in my humble opinion. 

I'd curious to know what others think.

• Posted

Hi Mike, I had my first ablation on April 20 this year. Had a Medtronics loop recorder put in at the same time , so have 24/7 monitoring. Like you, no Afib so far.

Had the ablation because  I went into Afib 3 times in 6 weeks earlier this year and had to be cardioverted each time.

Have addressed all my addressable risk factors now (can't do anything about genetics!).

Have lost a lot of excess weight(104kg down to 88kgs since the end of Feb.), which  Research suggests enhances the effectiveness of the ablation.

• Posted

I had my first ablation September 2014 and almost immediately I went back into afib.

My second one was March this year and although it was 7 hours long and quite unpleasant, so far I have had just a couple of short episodes of afib and I feel like a new woman. I have had an ECG recently and I have minor heart valve damage but my cardiologist is not too worried about it. He is hoping to get me off all meds with the exception of blood thinners over the next 12 months.,

Sometimes one ablation is successful, but two is usual.

• Posted

was the heart valve damage from the ablation? did u have your ablation done at a large facility? mine will be done( if i have it) in ky. the doctor has done a lot and has a good reputation. i am a nurse and my experience is working in a large medical center is great, but they also use interns and others with not so much experience. of course they are supervised and have to learn, but i am skeptical and scared. wish this thing would just go away.

wishing u the best, and hope u continue to improve. thanks for responding.

carol

• Posted

Sorry for the delay, I've only just seen your reply.

I don't know where the heart valve damage came from, but it's a minor problem and not causing any bad effects so I'm not too bothered.

I had my ablation done at a hospital in La Rochelle, France which contains a very large heart facility and I was operated on by one of the leading cardiologists.

I am just out of my blanking period and so far so good!

Unfortunately these things rarely just go away and it might be worth your while gritting the teeth and going for it.

Wishing you well whatever you decide. Xx

• Posted

I talked to u about a month ago. I had my ablation July 11. Changed meds 5 days ago to toprol and still on eliquis. So far so good. Occasional single skipped beat. But hiping for the best. Feel much better and more energy even after 3 weeks.
    • Posted

Good to hear. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I'm nearly 5 months after my second ablation and so far so good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.