Success Story: Stopped Olanzapine (Zyprexa) Cold Turkey

Posted , 50 users are following.

First off thank you for this wonderful forum.  I looked long and hard for success stories of people who came off Zyprexa cold Turkey successfully and was unable to.  I took zyprexa for 2 months (started at high dose foolishly by psych doctors @ 30 mg) and then self lowered to 10 mg once I got out of there 1.5 weeks later.  Abruptly switched to abilify (10 mg).

The withdrawal was hell on earth.  I thought it would not get better.  After about 3 - 4 months off zyprexa and 1.5 months off abilify, I am much better and feel much like normal self again.  My sleep still needs some work, sleeping 5 hours now, from zero sleep once I stopped taking zyprexa.

So I wanted to start this thread to let anyone stopped zyprexa cold turkey or plans to stop cold turkey, that it can be done. Most people on the forums warn against it however due to difficulty of withdrawal I think.

I will post more details on how I did it soon.

7 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My girl friend had an emotional breakdown and after a few days of her being so emotional she couldn't function and developed "psychosis" like symptoms, so took her to an emergency department and she was put in the psych ward involuntary.

While she was there she was given Olanzapine with doses up to 30mg within 2 weeks of starting (she's never had mental health issues before)

she's finally out after 5 weeks and she is currently on 20mg just wondering if she can stop suddenly without any long term effects?

• Posted

if shes on 20mg chances are she will need the med for a while while the doctor or psychiatrist monitors her. i was just on 10mg and ive been on it for a yr and just coming off it slowly. olanzapine is a strong medication.

• Posted

Make sure she tapers and does not cold turkey! 6 months later I still can't sleep, I have anxiety through the roof, and I have horrible IBS. Have her speak to her doctor about a slow taper. Has anyone come off this drug and felt better? When did the sleep issues and anxiety resolve? Thanks!

• Posted

im just on 2.5mg and having recurring thoughts from the past. i sleep ok as im still taking 2.5mg. today ive got a headache from these thoughts. i really hope they stop bothering me. when i was on five mg this wasnt happening. im trying alternative therapy someone here on the forum recommend. hope they help restore the brain chemistry

• Posted

how much were you on when you started ?how long had you been on olanzapine ?

• Posted

she's only been on it for 5 almost 6 weeks now.. hopefully it won't take that long to taper off it... i wish i could feed these to the psych's that forced fed them to her at the same dosage... i told them to do it... they all declined

• Posted

I am sorry that you and your girlfriend are having this experience. I am sending you positive thoughts and strength (if that is possible).

was your gf on any meds before this initial emotional breakdown? did anything in particular happen to cause it?

i would strongly suggest she does not stop suddenly, although everyone is individual and no one can say how her body and mind will react.

i was put on 10mg to counteract what i now know were discontinuation effects from my antidepressants. i went from 10 to 5 to 2.5 to nothing. i was on it 10 weeks at most. the withdrawal was hell. it upsets me now to remind myself of how it felt. i would not be alive today was it not for my mother and mother-in-law. i was on the verge of taking my own life as i was living in hell.

a few points i would give to anyone in my situation now

1. listen to your doctor but also make sure they are listening to you. if they are not ask to see someone else. and keep searching until you find the one.
      2. keep a journal, you're mind is in turmoil and you need to keep a list of symptoms and remedies
      3. get some exercise, walk and walk and walk out in the fresh air
      4. abuse the support of your strongest allies. dump anyone who makes you feel worse. (i lost my relationship with my sister but i had to put myself first)
      5. google the road back program

best wishes

linda

• Posted

great news reassesd today by doctor and after being on olazapine 2.5mg for 12 months i am ready to come off, such a massive releif so happy and overjoyed. good luck toeveryone suffering from this hell of medication should be banned.

• Posted

doctor has put me on three months supply , the 1st month 2.5 , 2nd month half a tablet , 3rd month half a tablet alternate days. Hope this helps you.

• Edited

I am tapering down Zyperxa from 10 mg per day to 4.5 mg per day since June 2019 .. what are the withdrawal symptoms of the withdrawal .. I donot want to stop cold turkey .. I want to taper off slowly .. what do you do for sleeping .. and how do you manage depression / anxiety attacks

• Posted

thanks for the interesting discussion most informative. I started out on olanzapine 15mgs for 20 yrs and am now gradually a few mgs every month getting weaned off it. in the process of the weanining i have suffered anxiety attacks some bouts of depression but thats about it. for insomnia, i tend to self medicate unfortunately, a few years ago i had a fractured and dislocated shoulder and was prescribed cocodamol 8/500, i take 2 0f these before i sleep, works better than any sleeping pill ive ever tried

• Posted

Hello,I am new here!. I just started taking olanzapine because my doctor prescribe it. Did you get diabetes. if yes how long are you taking it when you get it

• Posted

Hi KATE. Are you suffering any withdrawl symptoms after quiiting zyorexa cold turkey, i want off this,poison so,badly

• Posted

Dear All,

Thank you for this forum and for everybody's input. I've been on Zyprexa (5mg, went down to 2.5mg last month) for over a year and was misdiagnosed as bipolar. Life happened and I find myself inadvertently going cold turkey. I just forgot to take my medication. I actually cant remember when was the last time I took it, maybe a few days but not sure. I didn't even think about withdrawal symptoms.

Some triggers with life today and I had an "episode", I've been feeling sick and tummy issues, I threw up today and did not know what was wrong with me until I realised I had stopped taking my medication! Went online, everything checked out. I wasn't "crazy" after all.

I didn't plan to get off my medication and I'm not sure if I want to go back on it. Today was the first day that I asked my self, why am I on medication for a problem I don't have? Goes to show how "clouded" my head has been.

I've put on weight which is affecting my self esteem. My mood is affected in a big way but now I know why I feel less worried about it.

Thank you for the tips and success stories. Its given me strength since the unexpected "hard part" will hopefully subside from hereon. Looking forward to a detox in a major way.

Blessings

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.