Success Story: Stopped Olanzapine (Zyprexa) Cold Turkey

Posted , 50 users are following.

First off thank you for this wonderful forum.  I looked long and hard for success stories of people who came off Zyprexa cold Turkey successfully and was unable to.  I took zyprexa for 2 months (started at high dose foolishly by psych doctors @ 30 mg) and then self lowered to 10 mg once I got out of there 1.5 weeks later.  Abruptly switched to abilify (10 mg).

The withdrawal was hell on earth.  I thought it would not get better.  After about 3 - 4 months off zyprexa and 1.5 months off abilify, I am much better and feel much like normal self again.  My sleep still needs some work, sleeping 5 hours now, from zero sleep once I stopped taking zyprexa.

So I wanted to start this thread to let anyone stopped zyprexa cold turkey or plans to stop cold turkey, that it can be done. Most people on the forums warn against it however due to difficulty of withdrawal I think.

I will post more details on how I did it soon.

7 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

horrible medicine about 4 moths to be almost normal never more in my life

• Posted

What were your symptoms after being off for 4 months?

• Posted

Hi pelota how long were you on this stuff for and tauper down I've been off it 5 months and got no apatite still nausea in mornings

• Posted

What type of withdrawal symptoms did you have?

• Posted

dizziness,headeache,fatigue,vomit all the time ,tummy problems ete... god was horrible still not 100 % good but a lot better ☹☹

• Posted

thank you all for sharing your experiences. I have been off olanzapine for almost 2 weeks and am starting to feel some side effects (dizziness, headaches, fatigue and low mood). I really appreciate your messages of positivity and hope as there is lots of reports of fear and despair out there when it comes to coming off olanzapine. I think the more we can offer support to one another the more likely we will be successful as transitioning into a drug free life. If you can, keep your attention in the present moment, see is as temporary discomfort. Be brave. You can do it. xo

• Posted

Hi georgia how are you now? please let me know , i am on the same condition like you 5 months ago. please let me know.

• Posted

Hi Kate.

Did you get any sleep when you stopped?

I tried stopping twice but couldn't asleep AT ALL so I went back on it

• Posted

These stories are inspiring. I've taken Zyprexa for over 20 years. I'm going off myself with little support. I went cold turkey for two weeks, then took half the dose occasionally. The first five weeks were the worst. I'm up to week seven, and I'm seriously beginning to wonder my brain will be normal again. I've wasted so much time believing this garbage was helping. I am sad and terrified.

• Posted

These stories are inspiring. I've taken Zyprexa for over 20 years. I'm going off myself with little support. I went cold turkey for two weeks, then took half the dose occasionally. The first five weeks were the worst. I'm up to week seven, and I'm seriously beginning to wonder my brain will be normal again. I've wasted so much time believing this garbage was helping. I am sad and terrified.

• Posted

Are you sleeping ok Gary? Was your sleep disturbed when you first came off the drug?

• Posted

Hardly at all. And the hallucinations are actually getting worse.

• Edited

if you're having hallucinations then you might have to go back on the meds and taper down rather than go cold turkey.

I've tried going off cold Turkey and it didn't go well every time.

• Posted

Hi Gary

I have taken this poison for over 12 years, for ANXIETY, what a mistake! I am at the moment in week 6 of withdrawal after a very very slow taper over the years, jumped of at 1.25 mg. First 10 days ok. After that, diarhea , headaches, flu like symptoms muscle and body pain, etc. For me the most bothersome symptom is diarrehea.

Please share me your symptoms.

Cheers and good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.