Success with venlafaxine withdrawal

Posted , 77 users are following.

Hi guys,

After 6 long years on venlafaxine, I have finally gotten off the drug. I don't know if this will be of any use to anyone, but I wanted to share some hopeful words and tips for anyone trying to come off of this nasty medication. I should clarify, however, that I am not angry for having been put on this medication, as I am sure it saved my life. That being said, 6 years, 225mg/day and an additional 20kg later (!!! just awful !!!) I am so glad to be Effexor free.

The details:

I was taking Effexor XR and had been on my maximum dose for 3.5 years. Prior to that I was on 150mg for about 2 years. I took 3 x 75mg capsules every morning as a once a day dose. Taking three tablets was initially to save money (for some reason it was cheaper here in Australia to do it that way) but it ended up having the extra bonus of making withdrawal easier.

What worked for me may not work for everyone, but this is the approach my GP and I came up with. Most was my own plan, based on what I found worked, but my GP gave me the initial "tablet dropping" idea and trusted me to take it slowly, listen to my body and see her as needed. It worked very, very well, with minimal side effects. If it helps even one of you it will be worth having posted this.

First things first:

1. Make sure you are taking care of yourself and are in a good place emotionally before even contemplating withdrawal.

2. You are going to need supportive people around you- I don't know if I could have done it without my boyfriend. Tell your family/friends AND DOCTOR what you are doing. This is crucial. You may also want to tell someone you trust at work what is going on, so they know why you may seem a little dazed every so often.

3. Make sure you are eating really well. I switched to a vegan diet about half way through and, although this is not for everyone, this made withdrawal so much easier. I am sure the huge amounts of vegetables made a difference. I especially noticed that days when I ate lots of sea vegetables I coped best with symptoms, so consider working them into your normal diet.

4. Take a multivitamin and drink lots of water. At least 2 litres a day. This will help minimise the horrible nausea you will probably experience.

5. Drink ginger tea/use ginger. This is also for the nausea and I found it was essential in the days after stopping completely. It really does help. I also wondered if some people might find a prescription for maxalon or stemetil helpful, as the nausea and dizziness was the worst for me.

6. Get lots of sleep. I mean heaps of it. Anyone who has withdrawn from this med (or even skipped a dose!) knows how tired you will get.

Now the tablet reduction:

I started by reducing my total weekly dose by 1 tablet per week (taking 2 tabs one day and 3 every other day) for a few weeks. This sounds like nothing, but even this produced quite bad side effects at first (teariness, exhaustion, dizziness and nausea). Only when I was comfortable (ie no side effects) with this dose regimen did I move on.

Then, I took 2 tabs instead of 3 on two days a week for a few weeks until I was comfortable (making sure to space the 2 tablet days out, eg Sat and Wed). Then I got into the habit of taking tablets as follows. I made sure to plan/write all of this down on our calender beforehand, to use as a guide and make sure I didn't mess it up:

3, 3, 2, 3, 3, 2, 3, 3, 2 etc for about 3 to 4 weeks

Then:

3, 3, 2, 3, 2, 2, 3, 3, 2, 3, 2, 2 etc for about another 3 weeks to month.

Then:

3, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, etc for about a month. Then when I got to 2 tablets (150mg) a day on every day of the week I rested on that for quite a while (mostly as I was nervous about going too fast). Then, I did a pretty much similar thing to get down to one tablet a day. Then the same to get to 37.5 mg. I actually stopped pretty abruptly from the 37.5 mg stage, as I felt entirely ready. After that I had about 5 days of feeling pretty crappy, with symptoms as above, then I started getting better. Day 3 with no drugs was the worst for me.

So, in the end, it took me about 8 months to go from 225 to nothing. I know that seems an eternity, but I think that is why I coped so well. Five days after dropping from 37.5mg to nothing, I had almost no symptoms. Seven days later I had none. Even if you take nothing else from this, please know that it is possible to get off of this nasty drug BUT you must be careful, listen to your body, do it with support from those around you and in communication with your GP.

Good luck to all of you

xx

biggrin biggrin

17 likes, 204 replies

204 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Feeling really horrible.Don't know how much more of this I can take. 10 days of hell so far.

• Posted

Hi oz82, 

It's good to know you took a very slow and informed withdrawal. I agree, 'lex IS nasty, or at least trying to wean off it is.

I tried an approach similar to yours, cutting pills gradually but I got sick of it (literally and figuratively). So I went cold turkey.

It was one of my worst 2 weeks. Shivers, constant tiredness, muscle cramps, shortnes of breath. 

It is better now, but I am still feeling not very well - I do not know if it's cause of withdrawal still or the effect of other medications.

It was possible for me to quit suddenly as I was taking 75mg for 3 years only.

• Posted

Wow! Very brave to go cold turkey. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. I have good days and bad days -- tapered off very slowly and have been off Ven for just over a month. The first month was not so bad, but the past couple of weeks, not good, with depression. head-aches and upset tum. Will persist, however. When it gets really bad, take 2.5 mgs diazepam -- which my doctor does not approve of, but it helps. Hang in there and keep in touch!
  • Posted

Hi there. This is my first time on this or any forum. I have been on venlafaxine 300mg for about 8 years. Have probably been on most other anti depressants to for about 30 years on and off. About 3 months ago i decided I wanted to try to find the real me without drugs. Spoke to my doctor and family and received much support from all (at the beginning). My doctor advised me to take 300mg one day and 150mg the next for approximately 4 weeks and then to move on to gradually lowering  over time. Everything went really well and been really proud of myself. Am now at the stage of taking 75mg every other day and have been for about a month. I cannot seem to progress from this. By the third day I cannot take the pill quickly enough. When I try to go an extra day I am in bits. My body hurts all over, I feel sick and have upset tummy, terrible headaches, head zaps and literally cannot stop crying. My family as I say have been very supportive but I feel they cannot understand how I am feeling and I feel they are getting fed up with me. I keep feeling like I am failing and that I will never get off these damm pills. Not sure how to cope. I have felt so alone so its nice to read your posts and realise that its not just me.xx
    • Posted

Hi Roz. You might need to up your dose and taper off more slowly. I taerd off by 2 mgs a week until I got down to 4 mgs, and then stopped.Was fine for about a month but recently  started having upset tum + headaches as well as bad depression. I have been advsed by someone on this site to start taking the drug again and taper off even more slowly, but decided to ignore that and just tough it out. When it's really bad, I take some diazepam -- maybe 2.5 mgs. Yesterday had a good day, but didn't sleep well last night and today was not good. However, I am going to hang in -- really want to get off this drug. I am 71 and have taken every AD known to man, and the last year or so has been one horrible side effect after another. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.

• Posted

Thank you for the quick reply. I think your advice is good. I think because I did so well at the beginning I was expecting too much. I like you am so determined to get off this drug. I am beginning to realise that I am not imagining these withdrawal symptoms or going mad. It's good to know that how I am feeling is normal and I'm not alone. Will let you know how I'm getting on. Good luck in your quest to be pill free. God it's a lot harder to stop taking them than it was to start!!! Xx

• Posted

Good luck! But there is no guaratee that tapering off slowlywill prevent withdrawal discomfort, unfortunately. I offer my experience as an example. I have come to realiz that everyone is different when it comes to these accursed drugs! Hang in there.
    • Posted

Thanks Elizabeth. At the moment I'm sticking to the 75mg every other day. Will do this till I feel strong enough to try to lower again. Feeling a bit better in myself having read all of the posts on here and realising how difficult it is for everyone else too. Wishing you all luck in trying to become drug free! Will continue to read and post on here regularly to see how we are all coping. Xxx

• Posted

Rox have you thought about taking a bead from each capsule in a daily basis rather than alternate days? It's what I'm doing and I think it's taken me a week to have a clearer head. I say think because it could change but I'm almost certain my brain has adjusted to the decrease this week. ??

Xx

• Posted

Dear oz , thx for sharing your experience , this is my story

I have been on venlafaxine for 9 years now , it indeed helped with depression at the start but I gained weight I am always tired and sleeping , not to mention the sexual dysfunction , premature ejaculation and retrograde ejaculation , I was on the 75 mg xl dose , the day I would miss a dose I would feel very bad , headache , nausea , diarrhoea , dizziness , until I take the tablet and sleep through the symptoms .... I asked the GP to give me the 37.5 xl Dose for 27 days then I split the last tablet into two , then stopped , I am feeling sick , dizzy , having diarrhoea , but will never go back on this drug , not to mention that since reducing the dose no more retrograde/premature ejaculations , with noticeable improvement in erectile function , wish me good luck guys

• Posted

Day 2 of venlafaxine, if I dont move am ok, the minute I turn my head or move I get very dizzy and sick...not giving up, just chicked all the stock of effexor in the BIN....
    • Posted

Im thinking you aught to retrieve them from the bin. You may go cold turkey...

As much as we want rid of this poison in our system. The only way is to reduce the dose as slowly as youre able.

Re-introducing a small amount will immediately make you feel better.

I'm trying too. X

• Posted

Hello Sara

Day three of venlafaxine , I feel horrible , the nausea and dizziness not responding to stemetil, the tearfulness and anxiety are back .... I gave up and took 18.75 mg of the drug hoping to feel a bit better and planning to stay a bit longer on a similar dose until I have another go , I need to have a balance as I still need to work , study and look after my family .....

• Posted

Hello All and thank you for your support

Day three of venlafaxine , I feel horrible , the nausea and dizziness not responding to stemetil, the tearfulness and anxiety are back .... I gave up and took 18.75 mg of the drug hoping to feel a bit better and planning to stay a bit longer on a similar dose until I have another go , I need to have a balance as I still need to work , study and look after my family .....

• Posted

Hi there.

It's a good thing you taking a small amount again. I'm sure you will feel better for doing so. Lots of water and vitamin tablets.

Remember it's not a race. Slow and steady.

We are all here supporting one another. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.