SUDD Symptomatic Uncomplicated Diverticular Disease

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am beginning to wonder if I have SUDD as I don't spike a fever, I have long term lower left quadrant pain, my WBC has been reasonable and all the symptoms of IBS. One surgeon has said I have had diverticulitis several times stating thickening of my sigmoid colon and another surgeon has said I show no signs of diverticulitis. I wish someone will finally diagnose me correctly. My research is pointing towards SUDD. Does anyone else have SUDD aka Symptomatic Uncomplicated Diverticular Disease?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This makes so much sense to me. I had an attack nine weeks ago confirmed by ct scan and blood tests took dual antibiotics for two weeks. Very little improvement. My main symptoms were diarrhea and left sided lower abdominal pain, both of which I still have. Never had any fever or nausea.  Did fluids and low residue diet which did not help. All blood and stool tests are now normal but am left with pain and diarrhea. I have another dr appointment next week so will ask about SUUD as it sounds like there is a protocol in place for treatment 
  • Posted

Wow sounds just like me, I was diagnosed with diverticulitis with abcess in Feb, healed to just diverticulosis. Now I feel like I am having a flare up, diarrhea, burning lower left pain. All labs, catscan, bowel tests,and endoscopy normal. Sceduled for colonoscopy soon. But I never run a fever. And it doesnt matter how good i eat and stick to my diet, I still have the diarrhea with ab pain. The Dr say possibly just developed IBS . I see my Dr this week and will ask about SUDD.
  • Posted

You have SUDD. That’s what I have. Probiotic fiber and xifaxin mesalamine have been shown to help symptoms. 
    • Posted

Hi Robert

Has anyone ever suggested surgery to you? Also, does the medicine make life more tolerable? Most days I am beside myself with pain for at least an hour. I never know when the bad cramps are going to hit but I will need the bathroom for 30 minutes when they do come.

Julie

• Posted

I was "diagnosed" DD a year ago last January and since then I have had 6 flare ups. Two I was not offered antibiotic. It take at least 2 months for the left side pain to go down to where I don't notice it all the time. I have had left side pain constantly since the beginning of March. Some days the pain is more then other days but it has been intensifying over this last month. Before that I would say I had as many days with pain as without in the last 17 months.

• Posted

It sure does sound like you may have hit the nail on the head for me. I see my dr on Wednesday, will keep you posted!
    • Posted

Please do keep us posted. It is the only way we can get informed it seems.
    • Posted

Wow this is all so informative, I see my Dr today and will for sure bring this up to her and persue the test for SUDD or IBS . I finally took Imodium cuz 12 days of just diarrhea was exhausted, And still have burning in lower AB and left side back pain and AB pain. No matter what I eat or take its just there daily.
    • Posted

Good luck Vickie!

I know what you mean about the foods though I did figure out personally eggs give me bad cramps. Other then that I can't tell any difference. I hope your doctor tells you what to eat or if eating changes anything. I also hope you can get the poo test. So you can get some answers.

• Posted

For now I am just sticking with low fiber soft diet, smoothies, till all my poo samples come back and I have my colonoscopy in 2weeks. I have kept a food journal so know what’s worked and will stick to it. Just don’t get why all labs and cat scan , Endoscopy are all normal but I’m in diarrhea, pain discomfort mode. Freaks me out. 

🙏 

• Posted

What did the doctor think or did he/she not say anything?
    • Posted

They are clueless no help, I advocate for myself and tell her what tests I need done. And I now have a consult with new GI Dr in 2weeks to go over all stool sample and cat scan results, then colonoscopy. So frustrating 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.