Sudden Bicep pain after rotator cuff and bicep repair

Posted , 62 users are following.

I am 6 weeks post rotator cuff/SAD/bicep tenodesis. Everything was going normal until today at 6 weeks when I was allowed to remove my sling. I slept fine and woke up with no pain. I got up, happily removed sling, went to bathroom, pulled up my pants and went to adjust pants by slightly reaching behind and got a stabbing, knifelike, cramping in my biceps. I went to lie in bed, struggled to put the sling back on...started walking to kitchen and the bicep started stabbing and cramping again. I almost passed out from the pain. I have called my Ortho (he was in surgery today) and sent e mail to my PT for advice and have not heard from either of them. I can do pendulums without pain and the shoulder flexion exercise carefully, but any bicep movement and it starts to cramp and stab at me. I am now scared that my arm will never get better and don't know how this good go from good to bad so quickly. Has this ever happened to anyone? I hope I hear back from my Dr tomorrow. I am really worried. 

8 likes, 151 replies

151 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i am experiencing very similar pain.  Mine started after a bad move while sleeping...wake up with a sceam and excruciating pain in my bicep. I am 6 weeks 2 days post op. I too am calling the OS this week and I am also going for my consultation with physio.  let us know how you make out.  good luck!
    • Posted

I hope your bicep is feeling better. It's been 5 days since the initial lightening bolt pain and cramp that set off the pain.  Things seem to have settled down over the past 2 days.  The biceps are still tender but not as irritable. I am feeling more confident to remove the sling during the day and just cradle my arm in pillows at night.  I saw the PT this morning and he did not think I injured the surgery. Tomorrow I see the Dr. He had been away at a conference which explains his not calling back. I am just being careful with how I move . Good luck to you too!

• Posted

thank you same to you.  mine has subsided too ...but now my arm has large bumps.  i had a few a couple weeks ago, went to the dr...has no idea what it is.  not bites, or pimples. the size of a dime, red and some times itchy.  Everyone that has looked at them is confused.  they are only on the arm i had surgergy on. ?????  besides that i did make a new appointment with the surgeon because of all the other pain and still have swelling. sad
    • Posted

Hang in there!  Glad that you and ricochetred are doing better!  Call the doctor's office tomorrow-speak to a nurse if possible.  If no nurse ask that the doctor gives you a quick call.  My ortho surgeon gave me his direct cell phone number.  I had only used it once the night of the surgery when the saline was gushing out soaking everything.   They forget to warn me about that.  Anyhow back to you rashes?  Spider bites? Did the doctor ace bandage your arm after surgery?  Adhesive irritation?  Hopefully, it is something simple.  Does ice relieve the itch?  Cold compresses?  Hang in there!!  It will get better.  Post again after you find out what is causing the bumps.  

• Posted

It's been 3 1/2 weeks since my operation, I started PT last week and today I had my 4th session. I tell you my shoulder hurts after therapy especially after today's session. I'm beginning to wonder if I started PT too soon? I started therapy cause my doc said I could begin. My PT said my shoulder is more stiff then she'd like it to be in other words she thought my shoulder would be less loose more flexible. I try my best to do my exercises st home they gave me to do. But at today's session she had me use this pulley that attaches to the door so I can stretch my arm more. Well she did a number on me stretched me ect.. I was almost in tears. Had to take meds as soon as I got home. I'm now feeling a tightness in my bicep hurts when I try to stretch. I wonder if the PT did too much? I'm afraid now what if she did something that will make my surgery area worse or something. Anybody experienced this? Any advice

• Posted

Hi Claudia, What procedures did you have done? Some Drs allow therapy to begin sooner than others and it depends on what you had done. Do you let your therapist know when she is putting you in pain?  Usually the rule is to work in a "relatively" tolerable range of motion. Some PT's have more refined technique then others. I had one PT for my first 2 sessions and a different PT for my third session. I preferred how he handled my shoulder than the first one so asked to be changed to his schedule. I think it's important for therapist to honor patient's pain limits and important for patient to speak up if something feels like too much and tell them you need to be able to have some control. I have a hard time with the door pulleys. I didn't start them till 5 1/2 weeks.  I told my therapist today that I have a hard time with the pulleys and he said all the exercises he gives me just gives me options to do a motion in more than one way. But I already knew that so I don't force myself to do something that really hurts. I don't believe in "no pain no gain." I prefer "no strain, no gain."  I think range of motion can be finessed out of a joint rather than force. In fact, the body does not respond well to force. Gently massage or put pressure into your bicep. try to find a resting position that is comfortable and gradually increase the amount of extension to your comfort level while applying gentle pressure to the bicep to help it relax. It did take about 5 days for my bicep pain to subside. Sometimes a nerve will get stretched or scar tissue disturbed and it causes sorenesss after the session. But communicate with both the therapist and the Dr how you are feeling. I hope you  start to feel better soon.

• Posted

Ricochetred I go to therapy 3 x a week, two different therapist I don't care too much for the one I have on Mondays I tell her when in pain she just smiles I'm like I guess it supposed to hurt she says nothing. Stupid me I keep going to her thinking well she's the therapist she must know what she's doing. I mean she seems nice and all but she is a bit rough when she's "massaging" my shoulder. I have another session on Thursday with a different therapist I'll find out the days she's in and I'll adjust my schedule to her. As for what I had done it was thought that I had a tear in my rotator cuff at least that's what the MRI indicated but turned out it was calsification which was scraping my tendon that was causing my pain. So he cleared that out. As for my bicep I'm not sure of the name of the procedure can't remember but he said he had to work on the tendon in the bicep. I'm going to play it by ear I'm supposed to hear from the doc today I'll ask him as well. Thanks for the advice much appreciated. Oh one thing the PT told me is that I should take my med before going to therapy being that I was telling her how much it hurts I can't do that because the meds practically puts me to sleep. This is all new to me I've never had to do physical therapy.

• Posted

In my opinion it's critical to have a PT you trust and are comfortable with. Don't be afraid to go to someone else. Thai is such an important part of recovery you need someone you can work with who is understanding and listens. That being said, in my experience it does hurt. I've cried during sessions, it's normal for many and part of the recovery. I'm usually in pain for a day after but it is helping me gain strength and ROM back. Good luck and hope you find a therapist you are comfortable with!

• Posted

I saw the Ortho today. The biceps are still sore but tolerable and have not actually spasmed in 3 days. He said the repair seems to be intact. He said that the tenodesis I had, where the tendon goes through the groove still, sometimes has irritation and soreness for a while. There are 2 types of common techniques for bicep tenodesis and one routes the bicep through the bicipital groove and the other is a subpectoral tenodesis where the bicep is pinned below the groove but requires an additional incision. I have also been able to get some additional PT outside of my provider which I will have to pay out of pocket. I am in the U.S. and have Kaiser and they only allow 1 PT visit a week. I feel that more is helpful, especially to have a PT work on releasing any scapular restrictions and other nearby problems that may interfere with regaining range of motion and strength including neck and back issues. I am definitely sore after 2 days of PT in a row, but i know in the long run it will be worth the discomfort. 
    • Posted

I also have some numbness in the hand a another strange thing that hand sweats when my good hand is dry have you experienced this too??
  • Posted

I'm 7 weeks post surgery I had to wear my sling 6 weeks 24/7 I have the same problem sharp pain just below the shoulder at the top of my bicep I was so concerned I injured myself I had them do an MRI and no one has called me with results so I guess no news is good news I'm very pain tolerant but this has kicked my butt so sick of pain pain pain hard to walk the line - do to little bad for you do too much bad for you ... how are you doing now?

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear you are having issues....but I totally get it.  I am now 3 mths post.  The pain was really bad too...but once I started physio it got alot better.  I have had other issues, reaction to the tape, unexpected lumps that NO one could tell me what they were.  I just decided that my body went "WTF" just happened and reacted...lol

At least I gave myself an answer.  They all went away within 3 weeks. 

Have you started physio?

• Posted

Hi Stephanie, Things have gotten better. I think the more I used it gently, the better it got. The PT has helped...what little I get of it. The biceps is still the problem child, hurts after activity, exercises, end of day, middle of night...just below the shoulder where the tendon runs. I use cold packs. I am still hiking and have started very short easy road bike rides (sore afterward). The PT says I'm doing well and don't see the Dr for 3 more weeks. . How have you been doing over the past few weeks?

• Posted

I am 6weeks post op having had the same op as you with bicep Tendenosis.......I was out of my sling within a couple of days only using it when out the house and for sleeping (surgeon initially said 4 weeks).  PT started 2 weeks after surgery...and the PT gave me unassisted raising of arm above head, and side arm raises and hand behind back exercises ....which I tried with difficulty and pain....on my second visit a week later she reviewed them and said that the exercises were too advanced.  3rd visit she has introduced strengthening exercises using bungy cord and weights....and my shoulder is so painful and achy. I saw the  Surgeon after 1 week seems happy with results and said that I could stop using sling even though I have told him i am still in pain especially at night (.  I am due back to work on checkout at a supermarket in 3 weeks and totally terrified. I really dont know how i am going to cope with all the lifting.
    • Posted

Hi Jill

I am not surprised you are in pain. Your initial recovery seems rushed. Out of sling within a few days, doing strengthening exercises so soon!

I very much doubt if you are able to go back to work so soon. 

Some surgeons do not like overuse of sling as it can produce frozen shoulder but even out of a sling you have to be very cautious what you do with your arm. I did not start strengthening exercises until about week 10 and my physio said I was ahead of the game!

As for the pain alternate with ice and heat,that should help. Only other advice is take it easy, your arm is in the early stages of recovery it needs care and rest as well as exercise.

Good luck

• Posted

Wow riding a bike. What type of bike are you riding?? Glad it's going well for you!

• Posted

Hi Jill I have shoulder problems after a breaking it I have posted about it

I noticed you work in a supermarket like me I am due back next week a still have pain, I was wondering how you got on as I too am very concerned

sue

• Posted

Hi Sue.....I had 10 weeks off work after bicep tendinosis op and spur removal........then went back to work for 12hours a week....(4 hour shifts).  Have to say it was rather painful......and eventually had to get another steriod injection  into the biceptal groove.......which has helped.  But I have now increased my shifts to 27hrs a week....and this is taking its toll again.......shoulder is getting tender again.....and i am back on pain relief when I am at work.
    • Posted

Hi Jill   thanks for you replie  I got another sick not and I am due back the middle of December. I work 19.5 hour witch is long enough for me on the checkouts. Sorry you pain is increasing maybe you could decrease your hours again? I know if it gets too bad for me I will ask if they can get me off the check outs at leased part of my shifts or I may have to find another job if the worse comes to the worse . Take care sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.