Sudden Bicep pain after rotator cuff and bicep repair

Posted , 62 users are following.

I am 6 weeks post rotator cuff/SAD/bicep tenodesis. Everything was going normal until today at 6 weeks when I was allowed to remove my sling. I slept fine and woke up with no pain. I got up, happily removed sling, went to bathroom, pulled up my pants and went to adjust pants by slightly reaching behind and got a stabbing, knifelike, cramping in my biceps. I went to lie in bed, struggled to put the sling back on...started walking to kitchen and the bicep started stabbing and cramping again. I almost passed out from the pain. I have called my Ortho (he was in surgery today) and sent e mail to my PT for advice and have not heard from either of them. I can do pendulums without pain and the shoulder flexion exercise carefully, but any bicep movement and it starts to cramp and stab at me. I am now scared that my arm will never get better and don't know how this good go from good to bad so quickly. Has this ever happened to anyone? I hope I hear back from my Dr tomorrow. I am really worried. 

8 likes, 151 replies

151 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i had the stabbing pain start at 10 weeks.  Doctor says it is expected.  I trust him. Take PT slower. Allow rest in between sessions.

OK to take meds if real bad.

But no reason to panic.

• Posted

I just saw my Dr 2 weeks ago (4 months post). He also had same surgery 10 years ago. He confided that he had very bad biceps cramping and spasming until about 4 months and was very pleased that mine had resolved (for the most part) by about 10 weeks. Of course when I went to him at 6 weeks with the complaint of cramping/spasming and nerve pain he didn't tell me his experience and I assume he did not want me to think that i too would suffer that sort of pain for another 14 weeks like he did. In hindsight I'm glad he didn't share that because I would have felt doomed when in fact I only suffered for another week or more. Just to prove that everyone's journey is going to be different and just keep the faith that things will improve with time. 

• Posted

I tend to panic and I'm very concerned my stab pain is here for life but my doctor who is absolutely the best in NYC dismissed it as normal in the sense that it is the way I am healing.  So glad you answered. Thank you.

• Posted

I am at 8 weeks post-op following rotator cuff repair (high-grade full tear).  I have been worried now and then about re-tearing the tendon and which pains are normal and what sort of pain would indicate a possible problem.  Any input on this would be appreciated.  It has been reassuring to read replies that indicate that after many weeks, pain is still there and normal.  I am finally sleeping well (the past several days) and do not want to go through that nightmare of trying to sleep on the recliner, 1 or 2 hours at a time, or hurting so much that sleep was very difficult or impossible.)  I too was off painkillers by about the 4th or 5th day and use Tylenol extra strength when needed.  I have been out of the sling (for the most part, except in public) since 6 weeks. My surgeon (who is in his 70's, very active and has done many thousands of these surgeries) told me that I can do exercises at home beginning at 6 weeks and PT will start at 9 weeks.  He has changed his protocol from early PT to waiting for sufficient healing before vigorously working the shoulder muscles - citing a great reduction in the number of re-tears.  I have no pain while sleeping, but stiffness and some pain in the bicep upon waking and beginning to move the arm.  After my exercises to increase range of motion, there is pain in bicep and sometimes tingling down to the hand.  I guess this is normal.  I am a very active, intense and focused 61-year-old male and I find that I am impatient to get back to activity, lifting, and returning to work.  I work in a job that requires a lot of lifting twisting, reaching, and sudden movements.  Therefore I have told myself to be patient, don't lift anything until cleared by the doctor, and give this time to heal before stressing about how long I have been gone from work.  I have to stay busy, so I have been sorting nails and bolts and screws with my left arm and hand, organizing my garage, and planning a few projects for when I can start to use my right shoulder as well.  I just last week had enough bravery and range of motion to gently push a small piece of wood through the table saw with both hands!  Slow and easy does it - I don't want to have to repeat this ordeal.  Others told me how difficult and painful it would be, but I just sort of brushed them off thinking I was pretty tough.  I relate and sympathise to everyone's pain and fear of sleeping (in the first 2 weeks there were nights I didn't sleep - I sorted books, organized office supplies, paid bills, read, etc. - anything to keep busy).  Thank you all for sharing and making me feel not so alone.  You can't fully understand shoulder surgery and recovery unless you've experienced it!  Best to everyone.

• Posted

It sounds like you are doing things right for you.I also experimented with different activities little by little. If something caused an unusual pain, I backed off. I think the general rule of thumb for activities is to stay out of the pain zone. It's normal for a new activity to cause some degree of pain. I think most people can discern the difference between therapeutic vs injurious pain. If you don't have pain during the activity but have soreness afterward which goes away after about 30 min and some use of cold, then you're fine. that refers to tendon pain. Muscle pain can take 24-48 hours to resolve. I still will get some weird,out of the blue type stabbing pains. The are transient and I just brush them off. I think keeping up with the stretching is the most important thing until your range is in the normal zone. then working on strengthening of the shoulder stabilizers to prevent reinjury is important. you PT will guide you with exercises for that. Healing is a tightrope walk. It is a long slow process and the visible gains are minimal at first. It's important to stay conscious and aware of movement while introducing new movements and activities. The further you are away from surgery date, the less likely you are to re tear. Keep up the good work. By 4 months is when I was lifting light dumbells rather than just therabands and I feel my strength gaining more rapidly...but muscle soreness more frequently also. I will be back to work in two more months and will probably have more input after that. Wish you the best!

• Posted

Thank you. I saw my doctor today and he confirms everything you said. Healing is the most important task and being patient with the seemingly slow gains in the range of motion and dissipation of pain.   He said waiting to regain strength in my shoulder and arm muscles is worth it - at this point, don't be afraid to stretch and move but remember not to lift. To everyone else out there, it does get slowly better and more comfortable to do such things as getting dressed and reaching the buttons on the car radio!  Hang in there and know that everyone's experience will be a little bit different.  Do as your doctor advises.

• Posted

Thank you for your post. I am sitting here 4weeks 4 days after surgery crying thinking I've had something go wrong. This description of lightning bolt spasms is dead on. Sounds like it's an unfriendly part of the process of healing for some of us. I thought I was tough as I'd had significant neck surgery that was brutal but this is the winner of all surgeries in the painful recovery department.  I am glad (and sorry for each of us ) that I am not alone. I was feeling pretty discouraged until I read these posts. No one can know until you've had shoulder surgery. 

• Posted

This group is awesome! It's good to see that people with the same issues and come together to encourage one another. Without this group I think I would lose my mind, I am 4 months post op I had a labral and bicep repair and I had some inflammation in my rotator cuff but I did not tear it. My surgery was 11/28/17, I have fallen 3 times since my surgery 01-15 01-25 and 02-14. My Dr. doesn't think I reinjured myself, and I don't either. My bicep is still really sore and tender to the touch, my forearm and elbow is very sore as well, but the Dr. doesn't seemed concerned. I just started light strengthening in therapy, that's going ok but my bicep seems to be the problem during and after my PT sessions by the time I get home I am in some serious pain, I was wondering if that was normal but after reading other posts and comments that some many others are concerned about their bicep pain after PT. I see that this is normal and very relieved to hear this, it's just so irritating to still not have full range of motion, not being able and that it still hurts with every movement. I know it's a long healing process and it takes patience, at times it's just frustrating feeling like I'm going backwards instead of forward. Thanks for taking the time to read and replying #GodBlessyouall

• Posted

Hi Iashanda 35558,

like you I feel like I'm going backwards instead of forward !   I was 11 weeks post surgery this past Friday , it's now Sunday . They have cut back my days at physical therapy to once a week since at my 12th week I will be introduced to strengthening exercises , I don't feel like I'm ready but according to my p t that doesn't matter ! They can take it slow but my surgeon feels 12 weeks post is when I should start . I had a rigorous workout this past Friday and my arm / shoulder is still so sore I can hardly move it without wincing ! I see my surgeon this coming week . I too get worried maybe I have somehow reinjured my shoulder , so tired of the pain , which I also feel into the side of the neck area . 

• Posted

The workouts at 12 weeks should not necessarily be rigorous. The should be gentle to your tolerance and progress is based on how your body is ready to progress. You do need to be diligent in your exercises at home. That was the hard part, pushing myself to do something (at least the basics) 3 times a day. I felt that one therapy session a week was not enough and I was able to pay to have a second session at another clinic where I knew a couple of the therapists who were skilled at manual therapy. That was key to steady improvement. No therapist should ever push beyond your tolerance to pain, it's counterproductive. the neck is connected to the shoulder. see if you can get them to address the neck pain as well.  When you do exercises at home, make sure you don't do too much close to bedtime as it may increase your pain and make it difficult to sleep. slow and steady wins the race. Wishing you the best. 

• Posted

Hi Patricia 11378 I am sorry to hear that you're in so much pain, I truly understand but no one understands what you're going except for people that's going through it too, that is why I like talking to the people in this group. Those workouts may be to much for your shoulder, 12 weeks is not that long, it takes 6 months for partial healing and a year for full healing, so you have to be very careful, I'm going to keep you in my prayers. I am now 31 weeks post op and I'll say just 2 weeks ago my pain has eased down so much, I still have pain but not like it was and my bicep is still healing but not quite there yet and I am still pretty weak. My therapist took is easy on me for the past few months because of possible reinjure. They just started a little strengthening, I see doctor tomorrow since I have last fallen. I'm pretty sure he will let me continue therapy, I am still unable to put any pressure on my shoulder and I can't lay on it yet either. How are you with sleeping are you able to sleep on your yet?

• Posted

Hi. I am 8 weeks in from having a bicep tendonosis and bone spurs removed from my shoulder....started physio 2 weeks afeter surgery and was out of my sling after a week. Had been sleeping relatively well after surgery but now I cant lay on my shoulder due to pain again. I am getting sharp shooting pains leading into my elbow....sometimes its so bad it almost takes my breathe away......Surgeon didnt see worried....said it could be nerve pain. I seem to have taken several steps back in my recovery and due back at work in 2 weeks on a checkout at a supermarket......
    • Posted

My surgeon says very normal but i know that's hard to accept. Same here. Give it time. The pain to u and me means "trouble" but not to the doctors. It's part of the heal. Deep breaths. It doesn't mean anything bad. The PT will aggravate the muscles, tendons, and nerves. Patience. Think good thoughts.

• Posted

I also had pains into my elbow when stretching my biceps and shoulder overhead with elbow straight. It also has largely subsided. If I overhead stretch the shoulder with elbow straight and really push it, I still feel discomfort into the elbow but not as severe. I believe it is probably nerve stretch pain. I remember things started feeling and getting a lot easier at 10 weeks vs 8 weeks and 8 weeks vs 6 weeks. two weeks can make a significant improvement in the situation. You may have occasional days where you feel you have taken more steps back than forward...but it usually rebounds fairly quickly. Hang in there!

• Posted

I am now at 9 weeks post surgery and I can also confirm that each week shows noticeable improvement. Especially after the the first six weeks.  Take it slow.  I also work as a cashier at a very busy store with lots of large items and much lifting and transferring of merchandise.  I check in with my building manager every two weeks and keep them updated with my progress.  I thought I would be back to work by now, but they have been very understanding and cooperative in keeping my job for me and encouraging me not to worry about coming back too soon. Better to let it heal than re-injure.  I had a full thickness tear of the supraspinatus tendon, which was frayed into 4 or 5 strands. When it hurts too much, pull back for a day or two and then gradually resume.  My doctor is having me wait until the 3-month mark to begin physical therapy.  I am doing several exercises at home with his direction.  It can't be repeated enough - patience is the most helpful therapy.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.