Sudden random pulsating dizziness

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, I have had a few spells lately that have me a bit concerned and haven't found any discussions online that sound similar. About 3 months or so ago, I was riding in a car with my friend and out of nowhere had just a sudden feeling only in my head of dizziness. It took my breath away it was so sudden. And I also felt a sort of weird pulsating sensation. Many people have mentioned a pulsating that they tend to describe as electrical. What mine felt like made me think of something from a movie, like a deep body (although only in my head) throbbing. I know this sounds silly but it always brings to mind some movie or book that I can't place my finger on where there was a spaceship that was emitting like a low throbbing/pulsating energy -- not an electrical feeling as I have heard others describe...I'm not crazy, I swear, I don't think that aliens are invading or anything. That is just always what it makes me think of. Anyway, it is so sudden and overwhelming that I just can't even talk or do what I was doing seconds before. It only ever lasts for about 3 or 4 seconds, and has only happened maybe 5 times in the past 3 months. One time happened right as a big dump truck was starting up and the low rumbling sound/feeling of that was similar to what it felt like in my head, and I wondered if it wasn't somehow related, but just 2 days ago at the mall with my daughter, right in the middle of a store where I was just looking at some earrings, it happened. It took my breath, and I just had to stop and stand there for a few seconds. Anyway, each time it happens, as soon as it's over (just a few seconds) I have no ill after-effects, no nothing. I take no medications, have barely any medical history (2 deliveries --13 and 8 years ago, and a ruptured appendix 10 years ago that required exploratory surgery and a chest tube). I am overweight, obese actually. I am 5'3" and 265lbs. I eat a typical American diet, fairly crappy, some healthy stuff. I am 33, work on a computer all day...I can't think of anything else that may be relevant. Anyone at all have any idea what this is? It's not had any lasting effect, but it is rather unsettling when it happens. sad

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

yOu might want to,go on line and Google Pulsatile Tinnitus.  the website Tinnitus Talk describes different kinds of tinnitus and you could well be getting the beginnings of that ? 
  • Posted

I have had pulsative tinnitus and it definitely sounds like it is from the ear. My blood pressure pulsing is in my head. Does that make sense? 
    • Posted

Certainly does, that's exactly what I've got ! A heartbeat in my ear !
    • Posted

I think he was just kinda being silly.

I don't hear/feel it in my ear either, it's my whole head, all on the inside and so very briefly. Only 3-5 seconds

• Posted

Thats what I thought........lol..........Well anyway I hope you do feel better.......lol
    • Posted

Thanks! And thanks to everyone else, this was my first post here and you guys responded big! I appreciate all of thehelpful info and advice!
  • Posted

Sounds like you need to go to your doctors my mum as same thing don't want to go in to it but ps go speak with your doctor they can sort your problem

• Posted

Just to mention it's probably just blood pressure ps do not Google too much it's easy to read information that's not relevant to what you have making you worry unnessacary

• Posted

I realize that you posted this a long time ago, and may not see this response, but I figured I'd try anyway. I searched online because this same exact thing has been happening to me. I wasn't even sure how to describe it, then I found this post, and you described it perfectly! I'm just wondering if you ever got an answer as to what it was, and if it stopped happening? It's a little unnerving when it happens.

• Posted

Hi I hope this helps.  

I first noticed this exact feeling almost a year back.  I was going through a court case at the time and suffering from stress and anxiety as a result.  I was out running one evening, something I done to relieve the stress and still do.  During my run I came to a bridge which requires you to clim three flight of stairs to reach the top.  I ran up the stairs and as I proceeded to cross the bridge the feeling came over me.  I describe it as a slowing heartbeat sensation in your head that overwhelms you with a feeling that you are about to drop flat out on your face.  The feeling lasted for only a few seconds and went but was followed by a panic attack as I had no clue what it was.  I remained dizzy and weak at the legs, so much so I decided to get a taxi home.  I had MRI, heart checks, blood tests, you name it......all came back ok.  I could never get over the feeling, I always wondered what it was.  The experience of the first time was so frightening that it was sometime before I got myself back to exercising.  A few months past and one night I decided to return to that bridge and try to bring the feeling on again.  Same thing, as I rang up the stair, bang it just hit me out of nowhere.  People around me began to convince me the feeling was the result of panic attacks and anxiety.  I still exercise daily and only recently returned to that same bridge, this time I didn't run up or climb the stairs.  I jogged the opposite route that would lead me to the opposite side of the bridge, same thing as I crossed the bridge except nowhere as severe a head pulsing.  Still enough to stop me in my tracks and think....what the hell is that.  

Here is what I was wondering......Do you suffer from panic/anxiety/stress.  People tell me the feeling can be a side effect of this.  

To describe that feeling once again.   

A sudden slowing heartbeat/pulsing feeling that makes you feel like you are about to drop flat on your face.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.