Sudden rise in BP

Posted , 30 users are following.

Last Thursday  I had my blood pressure checked at GPS and it was 143/93 which was great as it was the lowest it has been since the beginning of the year. Friday morning it was 171/114,Sat 175/115. Sun 180/123' so getting really worried. Also very bad right sided headache. Phoned GP who asked me to come in ASAP and then admitted me to hospital. Whilst in hospital BP went up to 210/145 at its worst, Enalapril dosage doubled and BP eventually settled. My question is why would it have suddenly shot up like that. Also is headache normal with very high BP (I rarely suffer from headaches). Hasanything similar happened to other people?

0 likes, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My experience with high BP. Nasty all day headaches when BP was up.

Just spent five months on different pills and the worst side effects possible. Honestly I was so sick of it. And I was so so sick. But I stuck with Hyperdix , half in the morning, half at night. Two weeks later.... Perfect. Plus no more salt which means salted butter. A banana a day for potassium. Chia , quinoa and raw oats for breakfast. Broccoli galore, veggies and fruit galore. A avocado every third day and again no salt... I did have salt one day , took my BP and it had shot up. Now I do 15 mins of exercises every evening, have raw pure cocoa with honey, hot water and a drop of milk and I have never ever ever felt so good as I do now. The difference between what I suffered for five months to how I feel now is incredible. The side effects do go. The less medication the less side effects. My Dr told me to take a full tablet in the morning but I watched my BP and noticed it went tooooo low so I put myself on half a tablet. Now my BP sits around 110/75. To 135/ 80

It's not just medication, it's what u eat, how much fat on u especially belly fat which is the worst to have. It's combined stuff and remember NO SALT, no soya sauce and anything containing salt. Quinoa, chia, raw oats all lower BP along with cholesterol. Salmon, bananas, avocado, broccoli..... A good healthy diet with some walking and exercises in front of the Telly.....

• Posted

Many people find that beetroot juice also heps to lower it. I found it really disgusting to drink. Even my wife would not finish off the carton!
    • Posted

Block your nose and drink it like medicine...Lololol it's beneficial. I have Beetroot slices on bread.......yummy. 
    • Posted

I hate it in any way shape or form. My Granny used to boil her own in a big cauldron.
  • Posted

Okay, so I have a very close friend who has had the strangest thing happen to her. She would do check ups and be fine. How ever there were 4 occassions where she had no symptoms, feeling normal like she does every other day but her pressure was 200+/135+ it varied each time. Each time she was rushed to the hospital and kept for observation. They never found out how or why but after the day it would happen she would go back to normal for months until it happens again. To be clear, these 4 occassions happened in the space of you can say 3.5 - 4 years & she never has any pain or headache or anything, she's just normal as if nothing happened. Can anyone explain this or give some insight because the doctors are no help & this is very serious.

• Posted

I have been getting frequent fluctuations like that for 17 years
    • Posted

I have been reading the posts here and thought I'd add my two cents worth--even though I'm a bit dismayed that no one seems to get any answers regarding their blood pressure spikes from the docs.  I am suddenly having them, too, although I have had hypertension for years. I am hovering around the seventh decade and neither smoke nor drink.  I usually exercise more [walk] but it's so bleeping hot here lately--about 100 Fahrenheit every day.  A few days ago I was just playing solitaire on my laptop when I felt a headache getting worse.  I have a blood pressure monitor here and found my pressure was something like 180 over 110!  The next time I took it, it had gone up to 220 over 120!  Pulse  was 130. This was so much higher than my normal hypertensive pressure that I thought the monitor might be broken and so asked my neighbor across the hall if I could take hers to check.  It registered her normal pressure.  She has a monitor, as well, and I tested myself on that.  Same horrible reading.  Not feeling well enough to drive myself to the hospital, I called 911.  The responders got the same reading and urged me to come with them.  At the ER I had a CT scan of the brain and blood tests. Evidently, the extra doses of Amlodipine and Propranolol I had taken when I got the first high reading at home kicked in and my BP went down quite quickly in the hospital.  All that was found from the tests was a slightly low level of potassium and I was given some of that--and sent home.

?Just prior to this, I had started to feel cold--even in this extreme heat, so much so that I left the AC off. It's continued off and on ever since, this cold feeling.  These chills came on me for awhile about six years ago and lasted for some weeks.  Nobody could figure that out, either.  I thought I had cured myself by starting to take daily vitamins but I've never stopped taking them and now the chills are back.

?Last night I woke up from a sound sleep because my whole body was shaking or throbbing.  When I touched my arm I could feel it throbbing in a strange way and my pulse was going so fast I couldn't even take it manually.  I also felt cold.  I put on the BP monitor and got 180/110 with a pulse of 130.  Why would ones pressure rise so high at night?  I don't even recall dreaming and seldom do.  It was the trembling of my body that woke me.  So I took those same two meds--one for my pressure and the other for my pulse--and just waited for things to return to more normal.  When the pressure and the pulse went down, the throbbing in all my limbs also stopped.  Then I managed to go back to sleep.  It;s pretty weird but now, reading here, I wonder if it's even worthwhile visiting my GP!

• Posted

I have had the same problem and after loads of tests the doctors at the hospital down to paroxysmal tachcardia ie very fast pulse rate which affected the blood pressure ut without any specific cause. Because it only happens every now and then I have stopped worrying about and just regard it as one of those things. I have too many other serious things wrong with me to panic about it - I have a rare genetic liver disease called Carolis  amongst other things
    • Posted

Yes, I have had tachycardia for years.   I take Propranolol​  as  needed for it.  A very annoying and sometimes frightening condition.  It can be affected by low potassium so I try to  watch that.
    • Posted

That is really helpful. Do you take potassium on prescription or is it something you can get pharmacy or health food stores? Thanks. I already take propanolol for another condition so that probably explains why I have had no episodes for a year now.
    • Posted

I also suffer from dysphagia [difficulty swallowing] and have to have my esophagus stretched occasionally.  Regardless, I have to chew carefully and take small bites.  I also have problems swallowing large tablets or capsules and the potassium ones are big.  So I try to get my potassium from bananas and other foods.  You must be on regular doses of the Propranolol.  I just take it per needed as being on it all the time makes me feel too tired.  I am used to those attacks of tachycardia, for sure, but have not had such high blood pressure spikes before.
    • Posted

Greetings Archer. First time to this site and no surprise it was after a visit to my GP today. And as usual my BP screamed and hollered at 110/120. As it was a new GP he immediately asked what medication I was on, Atenolol, and he told me I needed to think about changing my BP medication as it obviously wasn’t working. What I told the GP was that I needed to get the heck out of his office because my blood pressure only bolted like a wild horse whenever I entered a GP office. To get to your point. In 2007 I had an episode where my BP exploded and I had to be hospitalised. The docs ask the same questions, was there headaches, no, was there chest pains, no.... ultimately they said they couldn’t detect what was my problem and closed my case saying it was a Tachycardia attack. So for the past ten years my blood pressure jumps and dives like a dolphin whenever it chooses but seems to max out whenever I visit the office to have my pressure checked and their only answer seems to be, let’s try another medication. The moral to that tale? None my friend, or maybe, monitor, monitor and monitor your own numbers and if you see a steady and consistent number that is outside your average, then get back to your doctor. In the meantime try to learn and understand your body’s changes. And if it helps, I have experienced some of your concerns.

Paul

Blessings.

• Posted

How is everyone doing? Can you give an update?
    • Posted

Since my original post, I have been i hospital twice - firstly with a very fast heart rate which after many tests was diagnosd a paroxyzmal tachycardia complicated by Type 2 diabetes which had gone completely out of control, and more recently I have been diagnosed with a rare genetic liver disease called Carolis 
    • Posted

Sorry to hear this.

Can they do anything for Carolis?

• Posted

Caroli's can't be cured but when you have symptoms it can be treated with antibiotics and/or surgery. I am waiting for an operation to remove part of my liver

• Posted

🎬had the operation Septeber 28th and was a lot bigger than I had expected but I am recovering slowly. Just less than half the liver was removed but thankfully the liver is one of the few organs that regenerates and the surgeon believes rthat by next Spring it should be back to normal but without the stones and tumours.

• Posted

This is great news! Hope it continues to go well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.