Sudden rise in BP

Posted , 30 users are following.

Last Thursday  I had my blood pressure checked at GPS and it was 143/93 which was great as it was the lowest it has been since the beginning of the year. Friday morning it was 171/114,Sat 175/115. Sun 180/123' so getting really worried. Also very bad right sided headache. Phoned GP who asked me to come in ASAP and then admitted me to hospital. Whilst in hospital BP went up to 210/145 at its worst, Enalapril dosage doubled and BP eventually settled. My question is why would it have suddenly shot up like that. Also is headache normal with very high BP (I rarely suffer from headaches). Hasanything similar happened to other people?

0 likes, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Iam going through the same thing.all this blood pressure meds and no change. My head is banging.
  • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply i went yesterday to friends house and they took it is was a little lower although still

higher than it should be it was 95 on bottom and about 180 on top i do suffer from anxiety so that could raise it

somewhat  anyway thanks

• Posted

I met a woman who goes round doing health checks on workers in industry and construction. Her instructions for BP checks are to advise those with diastolic over 90 to see their doctor. A past GP I had took the same view 
  • Posted

Hi iv just joined this site and it gives me comfort to know other people are having similar problems to me with their  high blood pressure which iv just found out this week from attending A&E!have a herniated disc and now sciatica symptoms in both legs!!excruciating and debilitating pain..my BP 179/82..i wasnt aware i had as i always had low BP, now im panicking..dont want to take med as im already on Gabapentin &Co-Codamol-coedine 30/500..im a bit of a worrier and now have my self takg a stroke or heart attack!!!thanks for listening Guys xx i sympathise with you Gill and hope you get sorted soon xx

• Posted

Last night BP 220/110 at 3 am. Heart rate was 122. I laid down and it started to go down and right now at 12 noon it is 122/78 and pulse 64. I am going to the doctor at 3:15 today to see if I need to raise my medication. Right now I take 25 mg of metropolol and 25 mg of hctz due to orthostatic hypertension. I guess the medication has gotten too weak.
  • Posted

• yes im only 27 and im experencing same thing but numb feet hands finger tips and blood pressure of 180/122 my legs hurt so bad but my bf wont take me to hospital cause roads are really bad but this is freaking me ouy bad wat should i do
    • Posted

well he is an idiot. with a BP like that you can have a serious stroke..

• Posted

I heard on Radio4 other day that one should sit for 5 mins and take then wait 1 min and take then average ideally am/pm over three days. I have the same monitor as the Drs. so a good reference.

How are you guys taking your BP?

• Posted

yes its totally normal to get a headache... i get them at the slightest rise in BP. in fact i get migraines.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.