Suffering from anxiety disorder especially health anxiety (hypochondria)

Posted , 4 users are following.

After a kind of break up and i m only 16 haha, my heartbeat gradually and my heart started pounding. At first i thought it is due to the break up but after 2 or 3 days i decided to google it. Dr google asked me strictly to go to a doctor as dr google thought i had heart disease. I went through depression after i read that all and decided to make an appoimtment with an cardiologist. He did an ecg and some blood tests and everything came back normal. Then i was happy but after some days i started worrying about every sensation in my body and always checked and searched about sensations on google which always suggested some terrifying diseases. Many times after that i went to the doctor with some new fears and everytime he said its just anxiety. I went through many fears like cancers, kidney diseases etc. The things which made me feel better was reading that all the symptoms from which I was suffering from like tingling sensations,bad breathing and many more were anxiety symptoms. But after knowing it all it was hard to believe that these all are just anxiety symptoms. Now i was feeling very better few weeks back but now again anxiety is back. I m suffering from headaches and head pressure and some weird sensations in my head like prickling and numbness and tightness in scalp and in back of the head and neck. I also feel like pressure on ear and like ear fullness. I always think about the worst possible and these symptoms puts me in fear all the time. But some times i also feel really relax and all these symptoms dissappers when i try to calm myself. Some of my family members also suffer from anxiety but we dont talk so much so i better decided to write here to get help from some people who have suffered from this type of health anxiety and want to know from u people that how u have get through this.

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It sounds to me like you are having anxiety attacks. They are very real, chemical like adrenalin are released into your blood stream and can make you feel really awful.

we all have a " flight or fight" mechanism --- if we are under attack ( either mentally or physically ) we want to either run or fight. We need energy to do both so adrenalin is released into the blood stream. Problem with anxiety is you can't run away or punch it on the nose! So all that adrenalin makes our heart race, we might sweat, feel shaky and so on. 

Lots of people get this--- so that means there's plenty of advice and help out there.

i had panic attacks after my husband was killed in an accident. I found in time you learn to control them. Sit somewhere quiet if you can, breathe in and then breathe out more than you breathed in. Slow your breathing down and just count the ins and outs. This will help disperse the chemicals and calm your mind. 

You can also imagine a safe place. Real or imaginary, doesn't matter, but it's a place where you feel happy, relaxed and safe. Close your eyes, slow your breathing and picture yourself there. Put as much detail and as much colour into the mind picture as you can. 

Google self help for panic or anxiety attacks for more ideas. They are horrible but you can learn to calm them down.

Good luck--- you sound like a really sensible person looking for solutions so you'll get this under control. 

• Posted

Thank you so much. First of all i m so sorry about the demise of ur husband. May his soul rest in peace. Well actually yeah u r right about the fight or flight response. Actually my problem is that even after knowing by the doctors that i have anxiety disorder and these are all just nothing more than anxiety symptoms, it seems difficult for me to believe this fact. I will definetely act upon the relaxed breathing technique which u suggested and i m sure it will help me. Thanks alot . are u okay now with ur panic attacks ?
    • Posted

Hi, Hollyberry,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I use to suffer from panic attacks a lot. I use to try and keep my mind busy and try not to get upset and think about few things that use to make things worse then it use to pass itself for a little while.

I hope things get better for you

Love Jane x

• Posted

Hi Ali, it's Jane, hope you are well. My XRay results came back and I was hoping it would of shown up something in my neck so at lease someone could do something about the pain in my head when I sleep but instead the doctor said no nothing but instead she said you have athristis all in my spine so that's not very good news. I got a bit up set because of this when I came out and she wasn't a very nice cover doctor and wasn't really bothered about what I had to say. I am going to see someone private on Saturday about my spine a bit more

Jane

• Posted

Hi jane, plzz try not to worry. Everything will be ok.but first u should visit a good doctor who take care of his/her patients with responsibility. It can be an issue of wrong postures or just anxiety so plz go to a sincere doctor .Dont panic. I prayed for ur health and will always pray for u. Everything will be fine
    • Posted

Hi morning, thank you Ali I will try not worry and just go and see the normal doctor and have a chat to her. My asthma was playing up again last night so feel a bit tired today
    • Posted

Good morning. Yeah u should go to her and explain each and every symptom u r feeling so that she can recognise the issue and plzz do inform me after ur visit
    • Posted

Hi Ali, I went yesterday and she was so good, she checked my back and clicked the middle of my back guess what they just do. Anyway she was feeling round my next and wondering why the back of my head hurts so much when I lay down and she touched a bit of the left side and the pain was bad but I felt with it fine as finding answers it is worth it, at the bottom of my head the muscle was so tight and she said somethings not right in one of the veterbays and she is a bit worried to carry on for now after see done some really good work on my neck. She wants me to go for a second MRI scan so I will have to go private as the NHS won't do it. She said she needs a report to show the 2 mini stokes I had 2 years ago and that's why my dizziness has never got. That new X Ray I had show there is arthrtasis at the bottom of my back and she will help me with that.

The good news is last night was the fist night no pain in over 2 years in my head, 50% pain gone. When I woke up I had a smile on my face and couldn't believe it.

• Posted

Oh my god jane, i m so happy for u. U can't imagine how much happy i am for u after reading ur reply. Now u should take full care of urself. Be strong and be confident about urself. I wish u a successful recovery and a happy life. And keep me up to date with ur recovery. Stay blessed

• Posted

I learned to control them and they've just about disappeared over the years. In fact I can't remember when one last happened. Taking control will help too. Psychologically just puts us in a better place.

thanks to you and Jane for your good wishes. X

• Posted

Hey jane i m fine now. I mean i started to watch some videos to control my hypochondria which helped me alot. I dont worry in excess like before for symptoms or sensations caused by anxiety which makes me feel better. And what about u ?

• Posted

That's really good. I am going to get a MRI done on the NHS don't see why I have to pay private thinking that would be the case. Just want to getting sorted out, I will stay positive.

I am going to sleep now so enjoy your family feast and I am glad you are feeling better.??

• Posted

Speak to you in a few days😀 Take care and have a lovely weekend.
    • Posted

Not sure if that sent, anyway have a lovely weekend Ali and speak to you soon 😀
    • Posted

Hi, Ali, I hope you are well.

My mum died on the 21st August a week together. She was my Best Friend. My mum died of Cancer.

Mum had bipolar for about 17years so in bed for six weeks and out of bed and her happy self for 6 weeks then this time was different she stayed in bed for 13weeks and stopped eating and not answering the phone. I called my every day and went up there when I could as she live quite a way away. My twin brother went there and mum had to go hospital and she didn't really talk much and eat etc. I felt a close bond all the time and new she was dieing, I said to the doctor before he told me the news after 10 days and after test, I fell my mum has days facet then weeks and mum has the last stages of Cancer and she will die here, his said everything you said is right.

It was a form of skin Cancer but was growing in her liver and eye, the liver got so big it was pushing into the lung and making it hard for my mum to breath.

I have sorted all mum important things, paper work and bills and the day for the funeral, 15th August.

I feel like if I call my mum she will answer the phone. I miss her so much ??

I know my dad will be looking after her and I feel that strong.

I was walking a long the other day and I looked in the sky on this over casted day in the morning and I said Mum if you are with dad and happy and he is looking after you can you please just give me a sign, with in seconds it's like my mum pushed the sun along and the sun was shinning on my face, I delt so happy inside and said that's good enough for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.