Suffering symptoms similar to a stroke 6 weeks ago

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I don't know if anyone can advise me at all,

Before 6 weeks ago, I was happy, always alert, good concentration, good health really & I went to work one Monday morning & I felt fine I was having a laugh with my colleagues coz I'm totally opposite Monday's im wide awake & not long before lunch suddenly I got stuck with this sudden pain in my eye like stranglation feeling in my left eye (it didnt feel

Like a migraine) and then I had this funny sensation down left side of my face (didn't droop) it all went numb right down to my jaw & inside my mouth my speech went slurry & all down my left arm & leg, it was something id never felt before, I went into this attack the first 5 minutes was the worst and lasted about an hour, I was rushed to A&E & they did tests including MRI which came back normal & the neurologist diagnosed me with Hempilegic migraine, now I admit I suffer migraines but very very rare my migraines are just the ones that last upto 2 hours until I'm sick & then it disappears and then I'm full of energy like nothing happened! But this I suffered was something different nothing Id ever experienced, also since then it's 6 weeks later now, it was only that one attack that ive had (first time ever), but since then ive suffered really bad fatigue, dizziness, vertigo, like this blurry vision ( I went to eye clinic who said my eyes are normal) it's feels like I'm Tipsy, I can't concentrate, ive got no focus, increased sensitivity to light & sound, muscle spasms in my legs etc ( I haven't got a migraine present or anything) ( I didn't have any of these symptoms before I had the attack) it's getting me really down coz quality of life has gone, Im off work and been signed off for further more weeks I can't go to work like this, I want to learn to drive (seems impossible) doctors aren't very helpful, I just don't know what to do, is this a hemiplegic migraine or was this a TIA or something else? I'm same im wondering how long these symptoms are going to last it's 6 weeks now and the symptoms aren't improving, it's like I'm brain damaged!bits horrible :'( xx

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Also a reminder I had no headache present during the attack x
    • Posted

I've had migraines for 3 years now and still no resolution it seems like since the scans have all come back fine the neurologists and other consultants just don't give a damn! It's literally ruling my life and I have many similar symptoms to you! I get what feels like vertigo a dizziness and sicky feeling my vision always gets effected! Like now I have been suffering for over a week with a visual problem where my screen at work will look out of focus or my eyes can't concentrate on it and it's never happened before it just seems never ending its so depressing I really feel your pain Hun
    • Posted

This is all new to me, it really is, are u able to drive with your condition? I don't trust any of the meds either with the harsh side effects ive seen on them, with stuff we are already suffering from dizziness etc and plus messing with your blood pressure and more rolleyes & they're not really clinically proven to help with a hemiplegic migraine either sad !! do u have migraines all the time? Or do u have a hemiplegic migraine attack then these symptoms follow? U know like ive only had that one attack and then I'm stuck with these symptoms sad x yeah it is horrible isn't it it's not a good life when feeling like this x I'm same I have that with the computers also like a hazy vision when looking at cash machines, train times or at front of a bus, but yet ive been to eye clinic checked everything over and said my vision is normal 20/20 and everything else x it is it's horrible x before I had a good life but now I don't, people always say to think positive but hoe can we think positive when we can't do anything, it's not fun is it sad x
    • Posted

Yeah I still drive as it's worse if I'm a passenger! When I drive my vision makes it harder to concentrate its hard to explain I can see everything fine no issues with that but it'll feel like my eyes are straining really hard jist to focus or concentrate especially with things moving! The vertigo feeling thankfully isn't that often but my god when I have it it's horrible! I don't get paid sick pay for the first two days either so can't take the odd day off work which doesn't help! Yeah I've been to all opticians and my vision is fine apparently nothing wrong with my glasses or lenses etc so they won't help! And doctors just tell me to go to an optician it's a vicious circle sad I now take upto 75mg of amitriptyline and 1.5mg of pitozifen at the moment they aren't really helping xx
    • Posted

I have a feeling that the meds could just make things worst, coz the side effects are what we are suffering already, so is there much point & I wonder if there would be any point in me taking preventatives as I only get migraine attacks very rare & ive only had that hemiplegic attack once & it's just the after after effects x
    • Posted

Do you feel like everything is coming at you all at once and too fast for your brain to take in?
    • Posted

I've only had these issues for 6 weeks, I don't feel like I've got a migraine present, no headaches or anything & that hemiplegic attack is just the one ive had, not had another since, but just got after effects that's it really, before I had the hemiplegic attack I was fine I never had any of these issues ever, these symptoms ive got now is everyday since the attack and no improvements, it's like I'm cognitive impaired, This is not me x
    • Posted

I'm not sure if it's actually vertigo, coz I dont feel like I'm spinning, I feel really dazed, the blurryness isn't with things close up, it's like distance & everything looks a bit distorted if u know what I mean & hazy, brain fog,& feels like chronic fatigue, it's been like this everyday for 6 weeks since the attack & I can't snap out of it, my judgement is slower & everything sad, before the attack 6 weeks ago I was normal, everything was good, but doctors are also putting it down to anxiety & low mood which they are sending me for cognitive behaviour therapy, but before the attack I wasn't anxious, stressed or anything, in fact ive had a good year, but since the attack ive had All these symptoms now ive been anxious & low Moody's, which probably isn't helping, but I just don't recognise myself, I don't feel like me at all x
    • Posted

That is exactly how I felt in 2006 before any of my migraine symptoms hit. I woke up one day with real vertigo and was left with feeling disconnected, I think from the anxiety of the whole ordeal. I was scared to do anything, my vision was hazy like heat rising on the pavement but in the distance. This is called depersonalization. It took me a long time to get the courage to see a therapist. I really do think your doctor's have been spot on with everything hun. Do the cbt. It will help.
    • Posted

Yeah in a way! Sometimes I feel that my eyes are slow to catch up with what my brain is telling them to do or what I'm seeing if that makes any sense to u
    • Posted

Yup, I get that too. I also have something really weird where my peripheral vision is choppy. Migraines are just weird in general and have a whole host of strange symptoms.
    • Posted

I work with in a betting shop and the last two weeks my vision goes funny every now and again looking st the screen and I have to blink to make my eyes concentrate
    • Posted

Could be the lighting for sure. I just bought a pair of yellow tinted glasses that are supposed to block close to 100% of blue light, which is what causes migraines and dizzy for myself and others. I wore them the other night to my son's Christmas play and did great!!
  • Posted

To me it sounds like hemiplegic migraine with some sort of residue migraine which could be basilar, brain stem migraines or something called migraine associated vertigo (you don't have to have vertigo to have it) - I have this. My dizziness varies from a drunk feeling, a super tired feeling, fuzzy head feeling, pulling feeling, etc. It's always hormonal for me, when my hormones change, so does the dizziness and migraines.

I would to getting on a preventive medicine and see if that helps.

Good luck!

• Posted

Have u tried any of the medications? Did they work? Without any of the harsh side effects that can make you feel worst? I'm

Wanting to learn to drive etc but I can't whilst I'm like this sad x it could be hormones with me x

• Posted

Verapamil helped me a lot. I haven't had any side effects from it at all. It's a very benign medication. How old are you if you don't mind? My issues began at 24 and I am now 33. I am hoping that once I hit menopause that this will all go away. =)
    • Posted

I'm 30, are u able to drive with how u feel? Like I mentioned I only had that one migraine attack 6 weeks ago, my first one! What are these symptoms do u know, that's followed it?
    • Posted

I never used to have increased sensitivity to light or sound either until that attack 6 weeks ago, it wasn't during the attack, it's all these after effects 6 weeks later and nothing seems to improve sad x
    • Posted

Light sensitivity and sound sensitivity us very very common with migraine patients. You have a sensitive brain. I've had to change the way I eat, wear dark tinted glasses outside and yellow tinted ones when around fluorescent lighting. I can drive, but not far. Once you get on a preventitive, where there are loads that maybwork, some without any side effects, you will get your life back and be able to drive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.