Suggestions for Foot-wear - post Bunion Surgery, as well as my experiences, so far -pain and recovery

Posted , 12 users are following.

For those of you who have half recent bunion surgery, I wish you all steady recoveries.

Over the past month, I have read discussions on this forum, and they all gave me great comfort and sound advice in the weeks leading up to my surgery, which took place on February 13th, and which I was very anxious about.

I had both feet done -simple bunion surgery, as opposed to the complicated surgeries that many of you have undergone. I was under general anesthetic; as well, both feet were frozen. My feet are in bandages, which will remain on until I see the surgeon again on February 28th. I can walk in a flat-footed manner around the house.

I had no pain to speak of the first day, as feet still frozen. The second day, I took 60 mgs of Tylenol 3 (codeine), and was able to manage what minimal pain I had with a couple of ibuprofen. Unfortunately, I did not keep my feet elevated enough yesterday, with the result that my feet are swollen, throbbing and I have had to take another 60mgs of Tylenol 3 to manage the pain. (Most important to keep feet elevated, for those of you about to have surgery).

Would appreciate any advice re footwear. We live in southern Ontario, and have had a lot of snow to deal with, so would have to be some shoe type that is water-proof for the purposes of getting from the walk-way to a car. As well, any tips on showering/keeping bandages dry would be most welcome!

Thank you all, in advance.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wish you a speedy recovery. I cannot stress the importance of rest and elevating your feet. I am over 4 weeks post surgery and still get swelling even for the duration of showering sat down.

I ordered a plastic protective 'shoe' from Amazon for showers. I was given a special shoe for heel walking which is great ( looks like Geisha shoes!)

When you are allowed to soak the feet, add some salt to the water. I massage some almond oil to prevent dry skin. Arnica gel is amazing for the swelling.

Still not sure what I can wear after my 6 weeks when I start weight bearing on foot.

• Posted

Thank you so much, Samia 71788. I will be much more mindful of the need to keep my feet elevated.

I will look into plastic, protective shoe from Amazon....geisha type shoes might help with my walking!

As well, I appreciate your advice on soaking feet, once I get the bandages off. I will need help with dry skin

and swelling.

Best wishes for your continued recovery - if you could keep us posted on what you find when you start

bearing weight on your foot, that would be great.

• Posted

I had my surgery last November 5th and I've been following this site since then. I cannot stress enough how important it is to elevate and apply ice/cold compression once every hour for 20 minutes. This reduces the swelling and aids in healing the tissue. A bag of frozen veggies inserted into a larger plastic baggie will do the trick. I used the Aircast Cryo Cuff. It is pricey but you can rent one also. I opted to purchase one because it is useful for all injuries, you only need to have the accompanying cuff (foot, shoulder, back, foot, etc.)

• Posted

Hi Wendy-Anne, I had straight-forward bunion surgery on both feet on 16 January, but I live in the UK. The first week and a half was extremely uncomfortable but I elevated my feet as soon as I felt the swelling start. After two weeks my casts were changed to fibreglass dressings which are still rigid but more comfortable for getting around. I have two Limbos (not sure what you call them in Canada, but like two great heavy plastic bags with tight elastic round the top) in which I shower and can take a bath. In addition I bought a shower stool which made showering much easier and also bought a bed cradle for more comfort while sleeping. I found all of these helped and wished I'd done some research before the op so I'd this equipment from day one. I think the most important thing is to elevate your feet as much as possible to avoid too much swelling. I'm feeling much better now and am able to sit normally/walk around for a good two to three hours before needing to elevate my feet. I'm looking forward to having the dressings removed completely on 27 February. Good luck with your recovery.
    • Posted

Hi 

I had both feet Bunions corrected and one middle toe ligament snipped and toe straightened. Week 7 now an dolaster casts came off two days ago. I feel I've taken a step backwards. Both feet sore to walk on swollen and reverted back to painkillers. I'm disappointed and very keen to start driving etc. But too sore . 

What shoes do you suggest? I can't seem to get something supportive and comfortable. Please help 

• Posted

I don't know whether what I just laboriously typed is on here or not. It flew away when I readjusted my position, so I will just try again. My bunion/hammertoe/ surgery was the 12th. I also was up too much the first two days. My sweet hubby is doing a remarkable job as nurse. After my doctor told us to remove the Ace bandage, I got immediate relief from the horrible burning I had from 10 -5 two nights. I had wanted to be tough & avoid the drugs. Not possible! Today is going better, but two tramadols are making me somewhat goofy, and my eye coordination is way off, but I don't plan to use the med long. We always sleep on our magnetic mattress anyway, but I beefed up our Nikken product use for my recovery. I have sports bracelets on my ankle,anda frozen water bottle under my leg held in place by the strap of a travel pillow, taking super nutritionaksetc. I keep dozing off as I type now. I weigh 105 and think TWO tramadols is too much, but it gave us both some sleep Lastnight. I have awesome books and a player to watch,so I am going to enjoy the healing time. My podiatrist will remove the inner bandages Monday. Yeah! Thanks to all who write on here. It is very helpful. Best to all, carol178187

• Posted

Hi Twinkle Toes,

Thanks for sharing you experiences with me, especially with respect to keeping feet elevated! I appreciate

you sharing your time lines with me, as the length of time for keeping my feet elevated will be longer than I

had expected.

I will look up "Limbo" and see what the equivalent might be here in Canada. (A shower would be amazing -a bath even better!). I haven't heard of a bed cradle, but will look up that too.

Continued good wishes for your recovery, and here's to having your dressings completely removed on

February 27th!

Wendy-Anne

• Posted

Hi Carol,

I'm "glad" to hear that I am not alone in doing too much on the first two days! I think it is because my feet

were still a bit frozen. I am going to be so much more careful, especially after reading everyone's responses.

I'm like you and want to avoid the prescription medications, as I feel very woozy from them, but as you found, it gave me some relief today, and I feel that the pain is now back under control.

I'm so grateful for this forum and for being able to share ideas and experiences with those who have had

similar surgery,, what works, what doesn't etc.

Good luck with the removal of your inner bandages on Monday and continued best wishes for your recovery!

Wendy-Anne

• Posted

My husband just informed me that Doc will CHANGE the bandage, not completely remove. Husband had to go. Hope no one comes while I am on the pot. We had take bathroom door off so I could get knee walker in there. Do you have one to use? Way easier than crutches. Blessings,Carol178187
  • Posted

Hi Wendy -

I had double bunionectomies six weeks ago. Regarding tips for showering, what I found worked best (and was cheap!) was to wrap each foot well with cling wrap, then put a small bin liner (bathroom wastebasket size) over the whole foot, secured above the ankle with a rubber band. A shower chair was a necessity too, as I had fiberglass bandages and couldn't stand except when wearing my post-op wedge shoes. I actually had purchased a product similar to the Limbos but ended up returning them as the cling wrap method was so easy. I never had even the tiniest leak.

I just had the fiberglass casts off earlier this week and was cleared to wear shoes at home. For now, my Crocs are my most comfortable shoes. I still have enough swelling that my other shoes - the ones that I can get on, that is - are pretty snug. We've had snow here, too. I've not been out in it yet but when I do, I'll be wearing my trusty old PAC boots, which fortunately do fit still. I'm hoping to avoid buying any oversized shoes for this interim period and save the funds for some prettier ones a few months down the road. My wish list is getting longer and longer smile

Hope that's useful information!

Patricia

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

Great tip re cling wrap and bin bags. We don't have limbos in Canada, but have something similar, I believe, called "Dry Casts." I will try your method, as I have all the material on hand!

Re -shoes-crocs might eventually work. My husband went to a discount shop and bought me size 12 (men's) moccasins. At this stage, the only shoes that can get over my banageged, swollen feet. Thanks for your

advice about buying anymore (over-sized) footwear. Probably best to wait until my bandages are off and then re-assess.

Thanks for your help, Patricia!

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Carol,

So you will have new bandages on Monday -progress still!

Re walker-I am able to walk (flat footed), with difficulty.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Carol...all the best for Monday!

Kind regards,

Wendy

• Posted

Hello wendy-anne. Snow or no snow, my opinion is that you're expecting far too much too soon in wanting to know what footwear will be best. It's only a few days since your surgery. I had my combined bunion and hammertoe surgery 27 November and didn't even think about shoes and what would or would not fit me comfortably until I'd finally had my substantial bandage removed on 20 January. I tend to wear flat shoes and like Gabor shoes of which I own many pairs. I found 3 pairs which I could comfortably wear FOR A SHORT TIME ONLY and are a G fitting. I'm pleased to tell you that I now can wear them for several hours before I need to give my foot a rest from them. I still wear my flat soled post-op shoe just to offer some support when my foot feels tired or aches. It never ceases to amaze me how many contributors to this discussion who are frustrated after only a matter of days and wanting to get their own shoes on. For goodness sake, our feet don't half take some hammering in our lives and we should learn to treat them with more respect. Having surgery on this load bearing part of our body is quite major. Please wendy-anne do not be so keen to rush back to normal life. I am doing very well and with each day can feel the improvement. Take heed of this!

• Posted

Hi Gillian,

Good advice -thank you! I'm glad to hear of your progression -post surgery. I'm coming around to the

realization that I'll wait until my bandages are removed - February 28th - and see what I am able to wear in

terms of shoes.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences post-surgery and for your wise words!

Wendy-Anne

• Posted

Gillian, you said to Wedy-Anne just what I wanted to tell her. Wendy-Anne, why are you trying to walk anyway? Someone will be expecting you to cook, was dishes, or do laundry! My podiatrist knows me very well, as his wife and nurse is one of my best friends. He insisted that 2 weeks with foot UP is a MANDATORY rule for effective healing, and FOUR WEEKS, better. I want this to go well, NOT have to be done again in a few years, as a cousin had to do.' I am 68 and have been told that younger people heal better than seniors, so I just have to follow those orders. If someone can go rent a knee walker for you, that would be so much better, I would think. You could alternate giving both feet rests when up, but I am only up to bathroom and bathe.

As for bathing, I am fortunate we rode led this 1939 bathroom a year ago. We kept the old tub as we couldn't move it out, and it was still good, but my husband and a carpenter tiled around it, making kind of a shelf beside the tub, where I can sit, with my bandaged foot on the knee seat walker so it won't get wet. No plastic needed. Then I soap and shampoo myself, & my sweet husband uses the shower wand spray hose deal to rinse me off. I get back to my "nest" inbred as soon as I can. Pillows stacked high with a magnetic seat on top. Then the ice water machine pad atop that which he uses horse wrap tape to stay on, with the coldest spot behind my knee. Podiatrist said nerve there are what effect the foot. Then I hold a frozen water bottle behind my ankle too, as I read on here that someone iced the ankle. No mess, no leaks, just aaahhhhh- type comfort when I crawl back into my spot. Beside me are books, water, my kindle, this iPad my skin care & vitamins, so I don't have to ask for much. Everyone asks why I am not on the divan, but this is perfectly great for me. & the shortest distance to bathroom. I do hope you will consider keeping your feet up all the time you possibly can. I know I will pay in pain for my time up this morning, but I couldn't help it. My tramadol is messing with my bathroom habits. I skipped my last one and may try to stop them altogether now. Do you enjoy reading, listening to music? Treat yourself. Your feet have gone through terrible trauma. Now, is that too much "mothering?" blessings, Carol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.