suggestions please! low fiber diet

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been on low fiber diet now since mid April and I am really needing suggestions on what to eat.... breakfast is the hardest.... do any of u eat yogurt or drink milk?.... and if so any particular kind?..... my meals are so limited and I am finding I am having to force myself to eat! any suggestions on foods would really b apreciated

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I can feel your pain. I never know what to eat. Sometimes I eat fiber and sometimes I don't. I'm finding that no matter what I eat it all depends on my system on that particular day. Sometimes fiber is good... sometimes it's not. My doc told me to eat anything I want... that I will figure out what not to eat.

I eat egg beaters or eggs cooked any way for breakfast. I do eat yogurt and milk. Like I said, how it affects me depends on my system that day. I never know.

• Posted

lucy.... my nutrtionist said we will b adding fiber very slowly and I am same as u..... some days oatmeal goes well, some days eggs go well.... other days not so much!
  • Posted

I eat soya yogurts and albran on a morning I am finding it's hard to know what to eat I have started to eat wheat free bread I can manage chicken fish some veg and mash. But I don't drink milk

• Posted

Have you had surgery or just trying manage with diet?
    • Posted

no surgery... diagnosed with divertic mid April.. stomach ulcer too...... awaiting nutitional counselling to begin increasing fiber..... terrified of another flare as cipro and flagyll were absolutely horrible...... just so frustrated trying to figure out what to eat!
    • Posted

Not had surgery they don't do it in the UK unless you are really bad. I will see what consultant says next week. Have you had surgery?

• Posted

Are you in the USA or U.K. I live in U.K. And would love an appointment with a nutritionist thats what I am going to ask GP on Friday
    • Posted

i am in USA ... my nutritionist is a well known chiropractor who had treated several celebrities.... started going to her for a slipped disc... I am putting alot of faith in her.... hope it works out!
    • Posted

I was diagnosed in April of 2014. Only a couple of flares over a year then all hell broke loose. I had one right after another until I was in the Er several times. Was accused of being a drug seeker twice but finally the second time they did a CT scan with contrast. Ended up back in the Er yet again and there was a surgeon there who ordered several more tests. I was admitted and put on IV antibiotics. 4 days later I came home and a week later they found a fistula between my colon and my bladder. Automatic surgery. It was scheduled for December 28, 2015. All of this from April to December. It was nasty trip but by April 2016 the last surgery and I was released to go back to work by May. Still have issues with what to eat and pretty much like a baby, everytime I eat I poop. All of it is slowly getting better and I'm almost back to normal. It's been a tough journey and I'm still having issues but with time I'll be back to as close to normal as I can.

• Posted

oh my goodness Lucy... u have been through alot!... so very glad to hear things r improving... best of luck to you!
  • Posted

I'm not an expert on diverticulosis but I know a little about antibiotics, Cipro in particular.  You say it was absolutely horrible, along with the flagyl, but I just wanted to warn you that you aint seen nuthin yet, as the song goes.  Cipro's got a reputation of being nasty that is well deserved.  It damages various systems e.g.causing joint and muscle pain, CNS problems such as anxiety and insomnia, peripheral neuropathy and, of course, gut problems. The damage may not be noticeable at first but it accumulates, so if you have another course or maybe a third it will finally hit you.  Some describe it as a time bomb waiting to happen.  Look at the discussions on here under the heading 'fluoroquinolones' (these are Ciprofloxacin, Levofloxacin and other -floxacins).

It's prescribed for divertic because it kills pretty much everything - including your good gut flora which I would think you kind of need.  One study showed your gut is compromised for up to a year after Cipro.  I suggest, if you can tolerate it, to have good live yoghurt daily - I don't think you can have too much but someone may correct me on this.  Also drink yaccult or similar drinks as you need a good variety of friendly bacteria in there to help get things working. 

If the worst happens and you do get another flare I strongly advise you to tell your doctor you don't want Cipro or any other fluoroquinolone.  I sincerely hope that you wont have to have this conversation though as I know most doctors will try and persuade you that nothing else will do.  Hopefully you can manage to get your diet sorted out successfully.

Good luck!

• Posted

miriam.... just saw my pa( physician assistant ) today and told him no to cipro/ flagyll... i was short of breath, trouble swallowing, shaking uncontrollably so I said" allergic"?... he said " maybe"! ... he says the only thing else i could use would b penicillin so I will b having same conversation with my digestive doc... I have read the horror stories.... terrible stuff.... what else is available to take?... ty for ur response... so appreciate the support here

• Posted

I agree Miriam..I call these 2 antibiotics my poison pills..they make you feel sicker than you are..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.