Suicide

Posted , 13 users are following.

In light of the news that Kate Spade was found hanging in her Park Avenue apartment this morning, at 55 years old, I just want to encourage anyone who is feeling suicidal to get help, and get it quick. Saw a quote about suicide that said something like "a permanent solution to a temporary problem". Kate leaves behind a 13 year old daughter. Please, please, please if you are feeling this way, know that it's hormones, find someone who will help you, if they don't, find someone else who will. 

Love you all my meno sisters! XOXO

8 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Extremely SAD!

Thank you Suzanne. We are here to help&support each other. TAKE GOOD CARE ladies.

• Posted

Please ask for help, women have so much stress and we do our best to handle it, and be that super woman but it plays a toll on our bodies, please reach out to help lines in your neighborhood ❤
  • Posted

Hi Suzanne!

Believe it or not, my first thought was, "Is she going through menopause?" Because I have bad thoughts and deep depression along with severe hot flashes, night sweats and dryness that is terribly uncomfortable.

Very sad to hear about Ms. Spade. I hate to think she felt so bad and in so much pain that this was her only way out. Very, very sad. Thank you for posting.

• Posted

Menopause was the first thing I thought also. What a tragedy! I don't have suicidal thoughts but I am depressed and have never felt like this in my life. It can be so isolating, that's why I appreciate all you ladies in here! Hugs to all! RIP Kate💕

• Posted

Hi Kazjo, are you getting help for the dark thoughts and depression?
    • Posted

Kaz, I wondered the same when I heard her age.  So horribly sad.
    • Posted

Kaz, hope you are finding the support you need.  Keep reaching out.
  • Posted

oh no thats devastating news i do agree with you Suzanne get help if you feel this way there just isnt enough help around ,Im am greatfull to you all on this website though it feels as if you have someone whose experiencing these feelings to know your not alone x 
  • Posted

I am so saddened to hear about this.  You know the first thing I thought was if she was struggling hormonally as we all are.  Seeing her age, I am sure she was in the throes of it as well.  

I think it is a wake up call for all us women to not feel like what we ARE feeling 'isn't real' or 'it's just your hormones'.  It is very real and very painful - physically and emotionally.  And to add insult to injury, I truly feel it is somewhat taboo to talk about openly.  I think that is why these forums are so popular.  It is a safe and accepting place to go to share. I know I feel a sense of shame to a degree that I am suffering so badly at this phase of my life

because of 'just hormones'.  

My heart breaks for her and her family and I wish them all (and us) peace.

• Posted

I understand what you are saying, but I think if women knew it was “just hormones” making them feel this way, they may take a different approach to the depression. I think we here on this forum are fortunate enough to realize that our hormones are making us feel all sorts of physical and psychological things. And I think there are many women out there that haven’t made that connection.  For me personally, I used to think people were very selfish for threatening or committing suicide, and it wasn’t until I had my own experience with ill health and depression that I was shown how people can get to that point. I know longer have that cavalier attitude towards it all. I get it. But I think if people can hang on there will be a better day coming. My favorite quote I have hanging in my house is have faith, tides change. 

• Posted

Well said, Kim... there is no such thing as "just hormones"... it is sad that we are made to feel shameful about it.

• Posted

Knowing it us hormons doesn't always guide you in the right approach. It is more complex then that. I cannot take HRT and have been offered AD many times. But I refused to take it since I don't beleive that the correct answer. But then it may make me look selfish since I suffer people/my family around me suffer too. I am trying to manage without AD but who knows perhaps one day I will totally loose it and end up who knows what... it is complex... Take good care ladies physically & mentally

• Posted

It is very nice of you to address that issue.

I believe that society is in a very bad place- selfish, self absorbed, egocentric....and very digital!

It is very very hard to find good friends that actually care. We live with everyday judgment, labels, fear of litigation, and what not but not careing if someone might be feeling isolated, sad, or have tough time in life.  How does a person share private and innermost fears and hardship, with all that judgment around?! It also really hurts when people ignore and hardly remember a conversation you had! Some of us will manage and others will not! 

With the freedom and self sufficiency we strive for and are proud of, we forget to be human, to be nice!rolleyes 

I am very sorry Kate Spade felt such a pain that it lead to this. Hormones can be cruel. And the worst part is that a daughter is left behind to suffer. Hope the kid finds strenght. 

I would also say- search for help if your thoughts go in a dark place, but I believe help is hard to find! Even the one searching it, is too wrapped up in the self. Try not to stay in your own head by yourself. Search to talk with no expectations of outside reaction. Be your own healer by not being trapped in your own brain, and fight until you find help, solution, hope! There are truly good, careing, selfless prople out there. It takes time to find themsmile Everyone..... I wish luck and strenght. 

• Posted

Yes, so sad to hear this especially for her 13yr old daughter at home.  I had heard that she was very fascinated with Robin Williams suicide as well. Again very heartbreaking.  Her sister had tried to get her help and into rehab but she wouldn't due to the stigma it had on her 'brand'.  This is troubling because I don't see it that way at all.  As long as they get the help they need is the most important thing.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.