Sulfasalazine

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, can anyone else tell me what side effects they suffer with these pills? I don't know whether it is the pills or something else as I have been taking them fir almost 3 weeks now But since yesterday, and particularly today, I have been suffering with the most dreadful diarrhea. Today I actually thought I would pass out! I was in the bathroom for about half an hour in dreadful pain and the sweat was pouring off my head! My hands started with pins and needles that moved up my arms and I felt extremely ill! I never want to feel like that again and am starving myself today. Anyway, I just wonder whether this is a side effect or maybe I have picked something up. Thanks in advance for any advice x

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello sandy. These are unfortunately side effects of Sulfasalazine and they tend to occur in the first 3 months of taking the drug. I have never taken it and hope my Rheumatologist doesn't want me to. I would speak to your doctor if it continues. you can't carry on like that. Take care.
    • Posted

When is your rheumatologist appointment matron? I remember you saying it was soon, will this be your first one?  Do you know of other people that have had this dreadful side effect? I just dont know whether it is these pills or something else, as I felt fine until yesterday x
    • Posted

My appointment is in just under 3 weeks time thank goodness. I do know someone who has taken Sulfasalazine and she had such severe side effects she had to stay off work, she's a school nurse. Anyway after putting up with it for 4 weeks she rang the Rheumatologist (coincidentally it's the same one that I'm supposed to be seeing) explaining that she just couldn't function, so she was changed to Methotrexate as far as I can remember.
  • Posted

Hi Sandy. Me too. I had horrible nausea too and passed out twice on the train to work. I was so relieved when my doctor called to say my last blood test showed my white cell count was very low so stop taking the tablets. This was over a year ago. I'm on Methotrexate now and doing well. Good luck Angela
    • Posted

Oh wow, so you think it could be the pills causing this!? There is no way I can keep going through what I did this morning! I havent taken my morning pill either, supposed to start on 2 am 1 pm today but havent taken any as yet! Glad you got yours sorted! X

• Posted

Hi Sandy.sorry you are suffering.I have been on sulfasalazine for about a year but not had any side effects you describe.I take 2000 mg day.
    • Posted

Major side effects are supposed to be rare but reading about sandy,Angela and also my friend I think it's more common than they are letting on. Are you getting much relief from Sulfasalazine frances?
    • Posted

Hi Sandy. If I remember rightly, nausea and stomach problems are common side effects. I've heard some people say it wears off in time, but that depends on the individual and how miserable they are with it. In my case I didn't get to see if it did or not. The drug caused a bad reaction for me and lowered my blood count.
    • Posted

Dont think helps at all but I had to go on this after was taken off methotrexate before I was allowed to try biological drugs which have been useless.just waiting for brain scan to see if last one is culprit for my leg weakness tripping,speech problems n dizzy spaced head
    • Posted

Oh that's a shame frances. I suppose with a lot of these drugs it's trial and error. I'm waiting to see what the Rheumatologist suggests when I go for my first appointment next month. Think I will need to do my research.
    • Posted

I havent felt nauseous except whilst on the loo! I remember thinking " blimey I'm gonna be sick too!" But wasnt and that stopped after a while. I cant believe how much I have slept! It has been pretty much the whole of yesterday and today! And even when someone wakes me I carry on dreaming, its so strange. I have this bad headache now too but have been drinking water. I just cant  stress how dreadfully ill I felt. I really thought I would pass out and an ambulance would be needed. If it happens again I think I should go to a and e especially after what John said!
  • Posted

Hello again sandy. Are you having blood tests every 2 weeks? I know they are recommended for the first 3 months
    • Posted

I havent been asked to go for any yet! Not sure when they are supposed to start 
    • Posted

You should have blood tests every two weeks. Speak to your GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.