Sulfasalazine

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, can anyone else tell me what side effects they suffer with these pills? I don't know whether it is the pills or something else as I have been taking them fir almost 3 weeks now But since yesterday, and particularly today, I have been suffering with the most dreadful diarrhea. Today I actually thought I would pass out! I was in the bathroom for about half an hour in dreadful pain and the sweat was pouring off my head! My hands started with pins and needles that moved up my arms and I felt extremely ill! I never want to feel like that again and am starving myself today. Anyway, I just wonder whether this is a side effect or maybe I have picked something up. Thanks in advance for any advice x

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,I was on Sulphasalazine when originally diagnosed 13 years ago,I am now 65 after a few weeks of taking the drug I had a phone call from thehospital asking me how I felt, as I'd just sent my routine bloods in, I told them I felt I'll and the doctor said if I got any worse to go immediately to hospital and tell them my neutraphils (type of white cell) were down to 0.8 the following day I felt worse and had diarrhoea so I ended up in hospital seriously ill with a blood infection I couldn't fight, luckily I was caught in time, if you don't improve go to hospital and tell them you're on Suphasalazine, I'm not going to say you may have the same as me but in my case time was crucial, take care. John.
    • Posted

Wow that is scary John! I nearly got my partner to call an ambulance this morning as I really have never felt so ill in my life! I have been in bed all day sleeping since this happened and have a headache now. My partner keeps waking me to drink water. I havent had blood tests yet, only been on them 2 weeks. When will I have my first blood test?  I am glad they caught you in time!
    • Posted

Blood test usually every two weeks when you start on this type of medication, hope you improve soon but be vigilant any deterioration seek help, best wishes. John.
    • Posted

Thank you! I wonder why doctor has not arranged a blood test yet?!
  • Posted

I've been taking it almost continuosly for 8 years with never a peep!

I do sometimes get diarrhoea though, but never with the accompanying symptoms you desribe.

I'd give it a day or two more, but really you shouldn't be sweating and tingling with a simple diarrhoea

• Posted

I know, the sweating was just unbelievable and I went cold and clammy. It was literally pouring off my head and all down my body! My hands were tingling really bad and that was scary too. I have not dared eat anything today,but have had some water.
    • Posted

I'm a bit of an expert on diarrhoea actually.

Double your drinking and be sure to add electrals to your drinking water if it goes on beyond today. Especially if you're sweating too!

Electrals are minerals salts and they replace these vital nutrients that get flushed away when you lose too much liquid.

• Posted

Thank you! I will try to get some x
  • Posted

I just wanted to say thank you all for taking the time to write back to me and for your advice! I am drifting in and out of sleep all day so sorry for the delay in replying.

i do hope everyone else gets some relief xx

• Posted

Hi Sandy.  I was taking Sulphazalazine tablets for approximately 2 weeks and felt good with them...then my feet began itching like mad.  Then in the morning I woke up and was covered in a rash - I mean plastered!! I went to the hospital and they reassured me that it wasn't the tablets.  I continued to take them and spent most of the next couple of days with no energy, sleeping, fever, the rash was worsening and developed a headache like I have never had in my life! I got my husband to ring the hospital and could barely speak to them as they wanted to talk to me.  I was admitted to hospital and they said it WAS the tablets.  I had a low blood count and was given antihystamines for a few days and they managed to bring my temperature down.  I was in hospital for 3 days and literally slept for that time.  It took about 2 weeks before I recovered and was sleeping for whole mornings/afternoons.  Obviously they have said I will never be able to take them again.  I would definately be wary as I just kept thinking "ah, it's not the tablets" and blaming it on other things.  I'd go to your doctor as a matter of urgency and get a blood test.  Hope all goes ok for you.  Anna
    • Posted

Thank you Anna, yes I do think I need to see a doctor. My head is aching terribly and i, too, have been itching all over. I am sleeping so so much these last few days and yet none of these symptoms at the start of taking the pills. I feel so weak too and I am scared to eat anything now. How awful that they said it wasn't the pills and told you not to worry and you ended up much worse! I don't understand how some so called professionals get it so wrong! It is just so unfair to put you through all that! Do you take anything else now for RA? X
    • Posted

I only take paracetamol as my husband and I are trying for a baby. Sulphazalazine and Hydroxychloriquine was the only things possible for me to take and the latter is too weak and does nothing for me.  Definatley stay vigilant and don't be scared of going straight to the hospital.  You shouldn't be sleeping so much.  Just think about what you are normally like and compare it to now.  It may be just a coincidence but best to get checked out.  I always thought that if I was going to have a reaction to them, it would happen quickly but it can take a while to build up  A blood test will see what's going on!  Good luck x
    • Posted

Thank you! Well my partner just phoned the health line to see whether I should still take the sulfasalazine and a doctor phoned back and said to stop for a couple of days to see if the symptoms go. He said it is one of the main side effects but it could also be a bug. I will definitely need to have a blood test asap, don't know why doctors haven't arranged one as per the rheumatologists request. Good luck to you and your husband! X
    • Posted

I'm really glad youve spoken to someone about it.  Hope you get sorted soon.  Just keep drinking plenty - hopefully it will help the headache x
    • Posted

Hi Sandy.  How are you feeling today?
    • Posted

Hi, I am not too bad at the moment but was awful this morning, even lost a bit of blood which scared me, but things settled down soon afte. I ate breakfast but it went straight through me so didnt eat again for the rest of the day, just had drinks. 

Thank you for asking! I hope you are ok too xx

• Posted

Hi Sandy.  Sorry to hear you are still really ill.  I would ask if you should be taking some anti-hystamine tablets as you have an allergic reaction by the sound of it.  I may be wrong but it's worth a try.  I took them for about a week after my reaction and they started to reverse the effect.  It's worth asking the doctor.
    • Posted

Hi Anna, all seems to have calmed down now thank goodness! I spoke to an RA nurse yesterday who said it is very likely that the tablets caused this so not to take anymore and she will let my rheumy know and i am to have a blood test. I already take antihistermines daily for another condition so they could already have helped. Yesterday j still felt awful and I had slept almost 14 hours! I managed a proper meal last night and it stayed, no after effects so I think that is it now! First meal for a few days. Just wondering what will happen now?! I am wary about taking anything tobe honest but i really have to get back to work, I just cant pay my mortgage on the sick. Euromillions tonight! Lol x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.