Sulfasalazine

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, can anyone else tell me what side effects they suffer with these pills? I don't know whether it is the pills or something else as I have been taking them fir almost 3 weeks now But since yesterday, and particularly today, I have been suffering with the most dreadful diarrhea. Today I actually thought I would pass out! I was in the bathroom for about half an hour in dreadful pain and the sweat was pouring off my head! My hands started with pins and needles that moved up my arms and I felt extremely ill! I never want to feel like that again and am starving myself today. Anyway, I just wonder whether this is a side effect or maybe I have picked something up. Thanks in advance for any advice x

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I have been taking sulphasalazine for about 7 weeks and have buillt up to 2000mg a day. I also take 20mg of methotrexate once a week and 13.5 mg of prednisone a day. I have had no side affects so far apart from a little nausea and my blood test results are normal so far. My pain and stiffness have decreased. I am now slowly reducing the amount of prednisone I take as I think it has the most severe side affects. Everyone seems to react differently to medication.
    • Posted

Thank you. I am pleased it seems to be going well for you! I know everyone is different, and maybe cos I take so many other blinkin medication that is why I am having severe side effects. I was told when i had an abdo scan that my liver appeared to be very fatty and I cannot take ibuprofen or asprin due to having stomach ulcers in the past, so I guess anything else I take is going to have some effect. I have to take cetirizine, lansoprasole, citalopram, amitriptylene, fenofibrate, statins, calceous vit D,  co-codamol and tramadol too so I think I really should be having those regular blood tests. I am lying in bed now, barely able to see through sweat pouring down my face again!
    • Posted

Your response to all your drugs is very similar to mine and I take similar doses. Just lower on the preds now becase my RA is in remission.

Remember to reduce your preds very very slowly.

• Posted

Sulfasalazine  i have been taking these going into week 4 now i had no side affects until the weekend feeling sick and dizzy not good at all also slight headache i started on 2 a day then week 2 i started on 3 a day feeling fine now i am on 4 a day and feeling rough i did think of cuttingthem back down to 2 or 3 a day i am not seeing the hospital doctor until march but i will see my GP tomorrow carol24346
    • Posted

Well i havent taken one since Saturday and scared to start again, so now waiting for an RA nurse to ring back with advice. No blood tests been arranged either. I woke this morning feeling absolutely dreadful, thought I was dying then was out again for about 6 hours and only woke properly just before 2pm!! I have slept almost 14 hours!! The achine everywhere is worse than ever and my toes on tight foot feel like they are broken ai cant put my foot down! Blimey what a nightmare, dont know what to do for the best! 
  • Posted

Wow, I am so sorry you are having these problems.  I've been on Sulfasalazine and have had no problems.  I take Folic Acid with it plus Methotrexate.  I just started on an infusion Remacade.  They said it would take 3 months to work, I was like a new person in 3 days!  I can't believe the difference.  Here in the States they are calling it a miracle drug.  Only problem is it is very expensive.  Good Luck!
  • Posted

I have been taking Sulfasalazine for several years due to RA

I have found I have very loose bowel motions and there are times I don't make it to the toilet at this time I start feeling very sick and  have a burning sensation in the butt

I am also taking Arava and Plaquenil all for RA

Should I mention this to mt GP or just grin and bare it

• Posted

hi Sandi

just read your post. I don't think you said how long you been on the tablets or if you're on something else as well.i was on sulfasalazine for a few years.

at first I was sweating. bit queasy now and then. nothing major. what did notice was it turned urine bright orange. after few years changed my meds. no reason. everyone different. maybe your doc can give you something for the runs. hope it helps. ivan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.