SuperPath experiences good or bad

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

I'm scheduled for THR on the 22nd. My surgeon does the SuperPath method. It seems reasonable and I trust my surgeon but would like to know what I'm in for post op and beyond.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

what is the super path method I've never heard of that before

• Posted

nicole

superpath is just the fancy name for a smaller incision , less trauma and quicker recovery or so they say from what I have read along with more surety of the length of leg . Personally I had the posterior approach and cannot see how I could have recovered any faster . I was out of bed walking around the evening of the surgery . out the next afternoon and using a walking stick from day 2 to day 10 when I ditched it altogether . There are hybrids of the surgey from what I can see

• Posted

It's a hip replacement surgery where you lie on your side. The surgeon makes 2 incisions one bigger than the other on the rear side and separates the muscle and tendon to get to the hip instead of cutting the muscle and tendons to get to the hip. The bone isn't dislocated in surgery. It's cut off and removed through the hole. The idea is it should be a little less painful if the muscle, tendons and nerves are not disturbed. I think the recovery time is the same though. That's all I know. I'm hoping to read some posts post surgery.

• Posted

Hi KeithMcC,

I'm so encouraged to hear your successful story. I don't think there's a one size fits all when it comes to hip surgery.

• Posted

Kelly,

I had the posterior approach, the surgeon did not cut any muscle plus I had no pain at all after the op.

• Posted

there is no one size fits all everyones different I've had 2 hip replacements in 2 yrs one in 2017 then a revision to change the ball and socket to the smallest one they had and now I'm going for a smaller stem I had the anterior approch done which is in the front which is way better then the posterior as the front they can just move ur muscles over to the side to accsess ur hip rather then go through the back or side where they have to cut the muscles

• Posted

I am not sure that is true any more. i had lateral posterior, my surgeon stopped doing anterior because he said it caused muscle problems moving them about and can also cause nerve damage, which is the main reason I did not want that approach.

• Posted

Did you have the surgery via Superpath method?

• Posted

Nicole,

I had a posterior, the surgeon did not cut any muscle, they just move them now. I think cutting muscle was in the past.

• Posted

No i just had the posterior method which has a larger incision. It does mean the surgeon has lots of room to move about though!! I came home with crutches, abandoned them at the front door and have not used them since. I furniture surfed in the house and used a stick outside.I was hopeless with crutches, but I think it is recommended we should use them, particularly to ensure we don't get a limp and build our leg up properly. I was really careful bending etc for four weeks until I saw the physio, who said "oh you could have touched your toes if you had wanted to!" I think it was sensible being careful on the other hand and I was told not to cross my legs. I am sure you should not listen to what I did!!

• Posted

Not quite in the past. I had a consult with a surgeon who does posterior and cuts muscle & tendons. It's what compelled me to seek out different methods and post here..

• Posted

Kelly

You will find the surgeons will all give the pros but never the cons what ever the method. I had posterior and much like the superpath trussed into the jig . I definitely didnt have any tendons or muscle cut and was cycling on the road from day 12 and back running at week 4 . The experiences will vary greatly . Fitness going into surgery and speed of recovery seems to be a common theme though.

• Posted

surgeons certainly do not go out of their way to cut anything, they move stuff about, if tendons do get damaged, it's more likely from the anterior approach as they have less 'sight' of the procedure due to the smaller incision. Super path appears to come with it's hazards due to bone sawing rather than dislocation of the hip to be replaced, making revision much more difficult if issues occur later down the line.

• Posted

I just had mine 10/30 all I can say is be patient get lots of rest and take your pain meds way before you start to move around so that the pain want be so bad with movement

• Posted

The most important thing is to get a top notch surgeon and go with whatever approach they offer. The other things that can affect the op is your fitness beforehand, your attitude and your age, although you may have difficulty getting younger!!

• Posted

I have a yr or more off work so I have the time to heal properly but scared to sit or move an Inch as I dont want to dislocate my hip again I dislocated my left hip in a resturant while eating lunch with my 10 yr old we both suffer from ptsd now and stayed in the emergency room for 30 hrs before they rushed me to the city hospital

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.