Superpath Hip Replacement 3 weeks post op

Posted , 21 users are following.

hello everyone

im nervous about posting on here as I never in my life thought I'd be on a forum for patients so in some ways it is good I've learnt some humility as always thought I was indestructible as I've always been very sporty playing a lot of tennis, football, rugby and cycling  as well  as regular gym sessions. 

Im 42 and last year after persistent groin pain that wasn't overly painful but nonetheless noticeable and wasn't going away after about a year I had an MRI scan, the results of which showed a FAI and laberal tear. My consultant told me the space between the ball and socket at one point was about 0.5mm and therefore I was too far gone to even attempt keyhole surgery and that I needed a THR of right hip. Being the cautious sole I am I had a couple of other opinions by consultants all of whom said same thing. 

I kind of didnt take it too seriously as i wasnt in great pain and was still very active, playing a lot of tennis running and cycling. The most noticeable thing was during sexual intercourse in missionary when I could feel a grinding sensation in the groin and clicking. Obviously that became somewhat of a passion killer. 

As time went on the pain was pain was getting more noticeable during tennis and my consultant suggested cortisone injections and sinvisc plus. The cortisone injections did great but only lasted around 3 weeks per injection. I didn't notice any great difference with the sinvisc plus. 

Still up to around april/may this year I was still playing a lot of sport and walking fine. But then in June during a very brutal game of tennis while hitting a running forehand I experienced an almighty crunch in the hip and a bit of pain,  not too much as I'd only just had last cortisone shot. This was a Saturday when the crunch happened. 

No problems on saturday evening or sunday Sunday but the Monday when at work after being seated when I went to get up I was in agony and couldn't move. Hip/groin locked. 

Since then this sensation continually happened if I bent my leg then tried to straighten it. I had an injection into a tendon that my consultant said was getting trapped and that did work but only for two weeks. I was at the stage where getting off toilet was a massive challenge. Once unlocked it wasn't too bad. I could walk ok and pretty quick. I noticed if I did no sport (or sexual relations) the locking subsided but as soon as I was more active the issue came back. My consultant told me it was a very personal choice when to have a THR but my quality of life was being affected and the aim of a THR was to improve that quality. He then told me about the Superpath technique which I loved sound of and he was one of very few surgeons who did this. I elected to have the super path and it was done on September 15. 

Im 19 days post op and can walk with one crutch pretty quick but when I try without a crutch I'm struggling as hip is stiff. I can bend leg upwards well and outwards and can squat. Obviously no locking now. 

my concern is I've seen you tube videos of people able to cross their legs and walking with no aids at all and in no pain. I have no pain when lying down or sitting down save for a bit of soreness where the wound is but my main worry is I do get a lot of groin pain when exercising or trying to lift my leg keeping it straight. Also when I walk the groin hurts and while other pain seems to be getting better the groin doesn't at all. 

I go for my first physio appointment in two days time and I'm worried that this groin pain means something isn't right. I've gone into so much detail as wanted to explain how I was before the operation. Has anyone had the superpath and if so what were your experiences at this stage. I've read somewhere that the illopsis tendon can be damaged and of course when I was locking up before the THR I wonder if that tendon took some damage. 

sorry if this is really long winded but it's all very stressful as I've never so much had a filling in my teeth let alone major surgery so I'm not sure where I should be and what I should be doing. 

Thanks in advance for any replies. 

7 likes, 395 replies

395 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Gary

Sounds as if you are doing well but do remember that this is significant surgery and time is a great healer....so is doing your exercises!   I'm sure there is nothing to be concerned about as it really is early days and everyone has a different recovery experience. 

You are obviously fit and have age on your side however I suggest that until your muscles are strong enough to properly support you and you are able to walk well with a good gait and no limping that you will be doing yourself a favour by using both crutches whatever your physio says!

All the best,

Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard

thanks for your reply. I'll definitely take it slower now. I was trying to manage without crutches but I think I'll make sure I don't put weight on the operated leg regardless of what physios say tomorrow as you say. 

Thank you you for putting my mind at rest. 

• Posted

Welcome to the friendliest group of people I have ever come across, all giving so much time and effort to help each other through the trials and tribulations of THR and recovery from it.

19 days post op is very early in your recovery.  It took mw about 18 months to feel properly recovered.  Looking on my website blog, I was just about able to walk 1 mile on nice flat pavements with one or two walking sticks as appropriate at that stage.

Many people get groin pains, it is as Renee says "a brutal operation"  that your body has been through. If you are really worried about your pains, ask the physio or ask to see the surgeon.  I had posterior, so I have no experience of superpath, lateral or anterior methods.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

hi Graham

thamks for the reality check. I was expecting way too much too soon. Everyone's replies have been invaluable as I shall now take it a lot slower. 

superpath is supposed to be a quicker recovery time in terms of post op in short term but there is no difference long term so I guess while I may be able to do a bit more in first few weeks, after that the recovery process will be the same as any other approach. 

When is it it safe to drive would you say realistically? 

• Posted

Dear Graham

I think you have summed up the situation well!   Going on what I've gleaned about you I would expect in your position to be able to comfortably and safely drive a manual car by about six weeks and an automatic in about four to five weeks.  At the end of the day it is obviously a personal and subjective choice but I'm sure you will do whatever is the safe thing to do for you.

You need to be aware that getting into and out of the car can be where you put your hip in particular danger so please think about this carefully and take care!!

Best of luck.

Richard

• Posted

Hi richard

i have not really braved going outside other than my garden but for a trip last week to have wound checked due to worry about getting and out of the car. 

Driving was was really hard before the hip replacement as when my leg bent the hip could lock so at times moving to brake pedal was challenging and reversing was a nightmare. 

Having no independence is frustrating but im learning patience is a virtue. 

• Posted

Much as RichardKen says - My surgeon said he wasn't interested so much in how hard I could push the brake as much as how quickly I could get my foot off the gas and onto the brake pedal.  I was allowed at 6 weeks in our little manual Honda, but I did it very carefully.

• Posted

Dear Gary

Whilst I can get in and out of the car quite easily the problem is with tight parking spaces that do not allow one to open the door fully making getting in and out potentially very difficult and dangerous to one's hip in the early days!

My car has long built in roof rails and what I tend to do is to grab hold of one of them and lower myself in and then out.

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

Just seen physio today and she said 4-6 weeks before driving. Im finding getting in and out quite easy of the car today but im a passenger and getting out in big spaces as no chanve id manage in a tight spot.
    • Posted

I had my r hip done as well and I'm almost five weeks out from surgery.  My doc told it would be up to six weeks before I could drive but if you do your exercises religiously you can expect to drive much sooner.  I got the OK by my PT at 32 days out and had little difficulty when I finally performed my first try.  Take it easy and do your exercises and you'll be playing tennis in no time. Not sure about that really just sounded good.

• Posted

Hi JBR,

?Welcome to this fantastic website.  Congrats on your THR surgery,  Did you have Superpath?  Where are you located? Glad to hear your driving experience went well.  When I was talking to Dr Chow about PT, I asked if they would send someone to my house, and he said, no, you will be able to drive.  I asked how soon, and the answer was as long as I was not on any narcotics, whenever I wanted.  I was really surprised... But even the PT instructions I have from them start at week 1-2..  How is your leg feeling now?  Do you have full range of motion yet? How much longer do you think you will continue with PT if you are still going?  and I LOVE the line about being on the tennis court in no time.. I'm figuring April.. just to give myself from real time.

Happy that you joined us!  xo

• Posted

Dear Gary

Yes obviously it's more difficult when there is a steering wheel to contend with!

Where I often have to park in town it is on a slope where the drivers door though gravity is closing on one plus there is very little room between cars so it feels one is having to be a bit of a contortionist so I take a lot of care! getting in and out at home is easy.

Take care, Richard

• Posted

Dear Geri

Here is the photo of the X-ray that I could not upload from my phone a few minutes ago.

Cheers, Richard

• Posted

I had a RTHR on Valentine's day if this year. I sustained some nerve damage during surgery and my progress has been slow. Not the awesome one that I had imagined but it is "my recovery". Everyone is not the same and to me it sounds like you are doing fine. I found this Forum on Facebook called "Total Hip Replacement Forum" . There are people on there from all over the world who have had all different kinds of recoveries and one of the administrators is a physical therapist and she gives wonderful advice. If you have a Facebook you should definitely join. It has a picture of the pelvic bone and hips. It's a purple color back ground and it was and still is a plethora of information!

• Posted

thanks fergie, sorry you had nerve damage, may I ask what method of replacement you had? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.