Superpath Hip Replacement 3 weeks post op

Posted , 21 users are following.

hello everyone

im nervous about posting on here as I never in my life thought I'd be on a forum for patients so in some ways it is good I've learnt some humility as always thought I was indestructible as I've always been very sporty playing a lot of tennis, football, rugby and cycling  as well  as regular gym sessions. 

Im 42 and last year after persistent groin pain that wasn't overly painful but nonetheless noticeable and wasn't going away after about a year I had an MRI scan, the results of which showed a FAI and laberal tear. My consultant told me the space between the ball and socket at one point was about 0.5mm and therefore I was too far gone to even attempt keyhole surgery and that I needed a THR of right hip. Being the cautious sole I am I had a couple of other opinions by consultants all of whom said same thing. 

I kind of didnt take it too seriously as i wasnt in great pain and was still very active, playing a lot of tennis running and cycling. The most noticeable thing was during sexual intercourse in missionary when I could feel a grinding sensation in the groin and clicking. Obviously that became somewhat of a passion killer. 

As time went on the pain was pain was getting more noticeable during tennis and my consultant suggested cortisone injections and sinvisc plus. The cortisone injections did great but only lasted around 3 weeks per injection. I didn't notice any great difference with the sinvisc plus. 

Still up to around april/may this year I was still playing a lot of sport and walking fine. But then in June during a very brutal game of tennis while hitting a running forehand I experienced an almighty crunch in the hip and a bit of pain,  not too much as I'd only just had last cortisone shot. This was a Saturday when the crunch happened. 

No problems on saturday evening or sunday Sunday but the Monday when at work after being seated when I went to get up I was in agony and couldn't move. Hip/groin locked. 

Since then this sensation continually happened if I bent my leg then tried to straighten it. I had an injection into a tendon that my consultant said was getting trapped and that did work but only for two weeks. I was at the stage where getting off toilet was a massive challenge. Once unlocked it wasn't too bad. I could walk ok and pretty quick. I noticed if I did no sport (or sexual relations) the locking subsided but as soon as I was more active the issue came back. My consultant told me it was a very personal choice when to have a THR but my quality of life was being affected and the aim of a THR was to improve that quality. He then told me about the Superpath technique which I loved sound of and he was one of very few surgeons who did this. I elected to have the super path and it was done on September 15. 

Im 19 days post op and can walk with one crutch pretty quick but when I try without a crutch I'm struggling as hip is stiff. I can bend leg upwards well and outwards and can squat. Obviously no locking now. 

my concern is I've seen you tube videos of people able to cross their legs and walking with no aids at all and in no pain. I have no pain when lying down or sitting down save for a bit of soreness where the wound is but my main worry is I do get a lot of groin pain when exercising or trying to lift my leg keeping it straight. Also when I walk the groin hurts and while other pain seems to be getting better the groin doesn't at all. 

I go for my first physio appointment in two days time and I'm worried that this groin pain means something isn't right. I've gone into so much detail as wanted to explain how I was before the operation. Has anyone had the superpath and if so what were your experiences at this stage. I've read somewhere that the illopsis tendon can be damaged and of course when I was locking up before the THR I wonder if that tendon took some damage. 

sorry if this is really long winded but it's all very stressful as I've never so much had a filling in my teeth let alone major surgery so I'm not sure where I should be and what I should be doing. 

Thanks in advance for any replies. 

7 likes, 395 replies

395 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Gary

I'm not totally sure what Super path is but I do know that whatever method they use this is one of the most brutal operations we can have. They have to dislocate hip, remove bone and hammer a stem into the femur. Some methods have less need for cutting muscles/tendons/tissue but all methods involve stretching them to gain access.

Not surprising then that our bodies are complaining and will do for some time. You don't mention if you have restrictions but if you do stick to them and like Richard says you will do yourself a big favour and actually shorten your recovery time if you use 2 crutches until you are completely taking the full weight for quite a distance, don't limp and have a correct walking gait.

Again whatever method the stem needs time for bone in the femur to grow to get it totally secure. Crutches are there for support while it does this. They say it's around 6 weeks for this to happen.

If we overdo it before our muscles/tendons are repaired and the stem secure we can actually cause harm to the hip joint which will be doing most of the work without backup from the muscles.

I understand at your age you will be wanting to get back to normal quickly but it will all take the time it takes.

Sandra

• Posted

hi sandra

thanks for the reply that's really helpful. I didn't even think about the stem etc and realise I've been expecting way too much too soon. 

Ill stay on at at least one crutch around the house and take it a lot easier. Thanks for the reality check, hope I've not damaged anything now. Xxxxx

• Posted

Hi Gary

I am 14 days post TRHR now and an starting to feel really positive about my recovery. I am 52 and had to have hip replacement due to a motor bike crash at 18...Reading posts on here, though, have made me very cautious about dislocation of the hip (could mean another operation) menial tasks could cause this so please be careful, you don’t want to undo the good surgery. 

My method for early recovery is gentle, I have binge watched game of thrones 😂 at the end of each episode I get up, walk, drink water,/ eat ,do physio, bathroom then sit back down for more slaughter 

I have watched 52 episodes so far and my recovery, as I first said, is going great. Rest is as important as exercise at this stage! 

Good luck and take care x 

• Posted

hi carol

so we almost exactly at same stage...stay in touch. I'm bingeing on the A team ironside and Quincy at the moment! 

I think ive been overdoing it and expected too much. Some people on you tube who had superpath claim to be back playing tennis after 4 weeks and I kind of bought into that but I think I like your approach and I'll take it a lot slower.

ive been putting weight on my operated hip but perhaps I'll refrain from that now.

hope you recovery continues to go well xxx

• Posted

Hi Gary, I am assuming that superpath is the equivalent of enhanced recovery here in the UK. We al, heal at different rates. I was on one crutch by 4weeks. Totally off by 5 weeks no sticks but it wasn't easy. I would not be doing squats yet. It took me 3 months till I could cut toenails and I used my soxon aid for around the same time. I'm 2yrs post op now. It can take up to two years for muscles to heal properly. I can run around after grandson, something that was difficult before. 

I look back now now at what I thought was slow recovery to find that it wasn't. Groin pain comes and goes. It is usually tight muscles elsewhere. Good luck

• Posted

hi beannie

thanks for the reply. I'm in the UK and it's the minimally invasive procedure, I think I've been expecting miracles and fortunately I found you guys on here to give me a reality check. Haven't tried to cut my toe nails yet as I literally cut them right down before the op. 

First physio appt tomorrow 

• Posted

Hi Gary, 

I love your post !!! very well written and explained ...

Sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing after the hip replacement surgery ...

With the Superpath Approach to THR surgery no muscles, nerves, tendons etc. are cut but carefully separated so surgeon can view the area --- sometimes this manipulation might cause some discomfort due to overstretching ... your surgeon will be the person to answer your question - 

This approach apparently has hardly any restrictions (i.e. beyond 90 degree bending, low seats, leg crossing)

When is your follow up appointment with OS?  

please keep us informed okay ...

Take care

big warm hug

renee 

• Posted

Hi Renee

thanks for the reply. My appointment with the OS is 9th November. I think from reading everyone's replies I've been overdoing it really. I thought superpath was a miracle procedure but I think I was a bit naive so I'm really grateful for everyone's support. 

Today i I was walking at pace on one crutch mainly although I did try without and did squats before coming back here. I felt ok but it increases groin pain so I think I'll take it a lot slower. 

First physio session tomorrow somwill update how it goes tomorrow xx

• Posted

Hi Renee

saw the physiology today and she said groin pain was nothing to worry about given if suffered with it for 18 months before the THR. She said I had good strength in my leg but I must NOT do any flexion until groin heals. She said to walk without crutches at home and outside with two crutches, NOT one crutch. She said using one means I lean to my good side so that will give me a bad gait. 

She he told me to now try to go upstairs normally. Only exercise other than walking she said to do was mini squats against the wall. 

She also said we wont feel totally normal for SIX months. She said to ignore enthusiastic surgeons and you tube videos saying people are very active within 6 weeks. She said 4-6 weeks the target is simple day to day activities like shopping and driving and walking. Any strenuous exercise she said is months not weeks. 

So patience is the key and not not too much exercise. Walking is the key. She said weight bearing is not a problem an pd I should be putting weight through operated hip to strengthen muscles but a sense I do so to tighten the buttocks to really push that muscle group. X

• Posted

I'm 16 days post THR, and one thing I realized is that I forgot to pack some PATIENCE   for this little trip. My groin pain was almost intolerable prior to surgery, which is what ultimately made me give in to having the surgery. Every time I get any pain in my groin, I cringe, but my therapist says not to panic and that it's common.  So just slow yourself down a little bit and continue on. You'll do just fine. 

My binge for this process has been Star Trek and I'm not even a Trekkie. 😀 

• Posted

Hi susan

did you have the superpath approach? The groin pain was what made me have it done as the locking when I sat down and went to get up became intolerable although once I was moving and unlocked I was a lot more mobile than now. 

At least it seems normal to still have groin pain at our stage. Yes, Star Trek is at 6pm....wish it was the Next Generation a si like Patrick Stewart.

i forgot to pack the PATIENCE pills as well. I'm not planning on going to work until November 13th, what about you? Xx

• Posted

Mine was posterior. I have actually never heard of the Superpath. My husband had a bilateral when we lived in Virginia, and he was back to work in two weeks. I don't think it was Superpath though.  It was called JiffyHip or something like that. I think more like the anterior approach. 

Luckily, I'm retired so I don't have to worry about going back to work. I would, however, like to get back to some yard work. It's gonna be a mess by the time I get back to it. 

Thank god for Netflix!!

• Posted

I think the anterior approach is a minimally invasive technique like Superpath. 

Back to work in in two weeks, wow that's amazing. My wound yet to fully heal!! 

I have my first physio session tomorrow so hopefully ill be a bit ill be a bit clearer on my progress then. I don't have net flix so just reliant on freeview channels showing programs from when I was a kid, which seems like yesterday. 

Sounds like you are progressing very well. 

• Posted

Hi Gary, I'm 52 and day 12 after posterior left total hip replacement. I thought I was doing amazingly well from my expectations as I was so impaired prior to surgery as I was hesitant to proceed as I thought I was too young. I read your post and was surprised to see that you didn't think you were doing well enough! I have had my first outpatient physio today, and in some ways she was very pleased with where I have got to, but in other ways I was nowhere near where I thought I was! Suffice to say I have been promoted to 1 crutch indoors, but two out of doors. She advised all the exercises I am already doing, eg side / back swing when standing, slide foot up / side on the bed, and 'mini squats' only like if you were getting down to a seat and squeezing your bum at the same time, but no more other than walking. From reading this forum I have learned that unfortunately dislocations do happen and that we must be careful to protect our new joint irrespective of how good we are feeling. confused

• Posted

Hi jools

sound slike you are doing brilliantly. Have you got any groin pain! It's the groin pain that is of concern and it does seem more prevalent with those like me who had minimally invasive methods, be it SuperPath or Anterior approach. 

My movement i feel isnt bad bad at all, but the pain is worrying me but I'll update tomorrow when I've seen physiology, my first session. 

• Posted

Hi Gary, I was on an accelerated pathway and out of hospital very quickly, but I'm not entirely sure how the surgeon approached / cut the muscles. I've had groin pain to varying degrees since surgery but wasn't too concerned as I was in so much pain beforehand it actually didn't seem as bad. I've been monitoring how many steps I've been doing since coming home, and even though I've mostly been pottering about at home the total amount is steadily increasing. So, after a physio session and being good and staying within the rules it was such a lovely day yesterday I took a little walk out probably no more than 5 minutes there and back on 2 crutches ( oh, and a little nosy in the supermarket on the way hoe from physio). I have had such a bad night since with groin pain, pain at the back of the hip and down the front of the thigh and had to go back to 2 sticks to get out of bed! The shock of returning to the that horrid relentless nature of the pain after less than 2 weeks was immense! So it seems our bodies are absolutely telling us how fast we can go! 

?You sound to me like you are doing really well and will return to all your pre - surgery activities in time; it's just the pesky amount  of time that is the unknown at the moment. Let us all know how your physio goes today - I bet they will be really pleased with how you've got on so far. 

• Posted

Hi jools

Sorry to hear you had pain again. Physio said i have good strength but am imbalanced and NOT to use one crutch. She said either use none or both for longer distances.

She told me i was squatting too far and to squat against a wall but only go down halfway.

Im not to do any flexion at all as that aggravates the groin. But ahe wants me around house to not use crutches and put full weight on operated leg but squeeze my buttock as i do so. Im to go up stairs normally.

She said the idea is to not limp. Hence why one crutch is bad as i will lean to good side.

We get so many different opinions its so hard to know what to do. Today is 3 weeks exactly post op

• Posted

Sounds like you have a very good physio. Like you say they all say something a little different, but the one crutch thing makes perfect sense. Of course we would lean over frown? I've rested more today and just pottered, and think I have settled whatever I had overdone. Have a calm and comfortable weekend!

• Posted

Hi Jools

im going back on Wednesday and if my wound is fully healed she will arrange for me to have a pool session. 

Im walking around house with no crutch but it's hard. It is painful in the hip and I can still feel the groin. The groin though is a lot more problematic with any flexion so I'm trying to avoid flexion. 

Im tempted to keep using crutches but it's a tricky one as the more we use crutches the less we use our muscles so I'm trying to go through the pain. She did say walking has no risk of disclocation neither does putting weight on it so that gives confidence. 

She said she wasnt surprised by my groin as I'd struggled with the groin for 18 months so she said those muscles will be needing a lot of work. She was very clear that as long as the pain isn't continuous then it's nothing to worry about. 

Hope me that helps. The one thing that is now crystal clear is that anyone who needs a hip replacement should get it done asap and not struggle on. The more people try to struggle the harder the post op recovery is. 

I think pottering like you did today is useful if you had a hard day yesterday as it's a good way to work the muscles but allow them to recover before going again. 

• Posted

Hi Gary

Not sure if this will help you but, before my hip got really bad, I used to do a lot of Pilates so understand and benefit from a strong inner core to achieve strong muscles and good posture. My Pilates instructor has advised me to not only do the bum clenching smile but also pelvic floor exercises as this really helps with hip replacement recovery. It might be good for your groin pain too?   Just do them every time you are sitting for short periods....obviously check with your physio but it seems to be helping me so far....I am now 16 days post op, can get around with one crutch around the house but have heeded your words about this could give me a limp.

• Posted

Dear Garry

In your position I would carry on with both crutches and as your muscles progressively strengthen you can reduce your dependence on them.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi carol

when you say pelvic floor exercises, may I ask what these specifically are? Sounds like you are doing great. 

Inwas doing a lot of planking before the THR but yet to resume those and forgot to ask physio today if I could x

• Posted

Hi richard

yes, I am going to take it slowly as at the moment apart from really short distances it's painful without. Overdid it today but it was worthwhile as a test. 

I did drive today, it was my dads car and I felt ok but it is a big luxury saloon. My car is a low slung coupe and no chance I'll be using that for a while. But it was good just to keep the alertness up but won't be driving again for at least a week. Today was sort of a test day as it were. 

• Posted

“Sit, stand or lie down with your legs slightly apart and relax your thighs, buttocks and abdomen muscles. Tighten the ring of muscle around your front and back passages drawing the pelvic floor muscles up inside. Try to complete up to 10 slow squeezes and 10 fast squeezing exercises”

They are usually recommended for women after giving birth but great for men too. 

Planking is the best for abdominal muscles isn’t it? 

I couldn’t get down to the floor or up again at the moment though 😂 keep up the good work and share any physio advice please! I got very little in hospital x

• Posted

I can't get down as far as floor either lol. I haven't really been on my front at all since the op wo will leave planking until after Wednesday when I see physio next. 

One thing surprised me was when she got the step out. Until today I was good going upstairs but always good leg first method. I was really sceptical about putting operated leg on first but she said nothing will happen give it a go. When I did it was really easy and I think the stairs is good exercise going up. I would say brave it and walk normally up them even if you hold the bannister for support. It's a good way of putting weight onto the operated leg but with a natural (bannister rail) support there. 

She did tell me not to sit for more than 30 mins at a time but I'm being naughty as I found sitting on a soft sofa that reclines and has a foot rest really helped me. That is against all the advice but I've had no swelling at all and I'm sure having my legs raised when sat down as helped and the soft sofa helped all the bruising. 

So my method is is when I do some exercise do it in very short but intense bursts then a lot of rest. So far I'm not having any pain when at rest. From what I gather that seems the yardstick, level of pain at rest. If the only pain you get is when exercising then it seems they are not too worried as that's just tired or under used muscles needing to be re trained. But pain at rest seems to be a warning sign so that's what I'm keeping an eye on. 

Ill go for a walk tomorrow outside but will use two crutches. I think the key is to slowly build. Xx

• Posted

Yes, my physio thought I would take slightly longer to recover than someone who had not lost muscle mass in the thigh / groin, which I think accelerated rapidly over the final 3 - 4 months. I couldn't lift my leg at all without pulling up on my trouser leg, so always had to wear trousers! Do you think you could use your crutches but only partially weight bear through them, taking the majority  of weight equally through each leg? I can feel how strong the joint is compared to before, when I was worried that it would just give way and leave me in a heap on the floor. I am finding night time pain a bit unpleasant, I guess it's when the joint hasn't moved for a while and you are stuck flat on your back in bed! Maybe a mixture of more and less intense daily activities may be the way to go too.

I can't believe you are nearly at the point for swimming though - that's good!

• Posted

Hi Jools

its a strange one really. My muscle strength was really good before the op a s I was doing a lot of cycling and sort of going through pain barrier. But my worry is that doing that may have hurt the tendon in the groin and kind of ripped it as it was rubbing the inflamed joint and catching it. 

I am now walking more confidently around around the house with no crutches and the pain in buttock and hip area is a bit less, but isn't getting worse even after weight bearing. But the groin is making no progress which despite what physio is saying is worrying me. 

I will use both crutches still outside and not fully weight bear for long distances. In bed I have no pain at all so sorry to hear you are but of course you were worse than me before the op and I think post op pain and stiffness is directly related to how bad someone was pre op. Which makes sense as my groin was worse part pre op and that's the worse but now. 

As for swimming i think forst it will be walking walking in the pool before swimming as I'm no good at front crawl and breast stroke I think would be risky at the moment xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.