Supplements

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone had success with supplements I think i must have enough to start my own business which a lot I have never used. I have researched and it seems that obviously people are at different stages so there seems to be stages at which to take them I have had a lot of bad reactions especially probiotics but research suggest that sometimes the bad reactions are actually the immune system kicking in .its seems to be a minefield out there for us m e sufferers maybe I can be more informative as I see nutrionalist and physio what treats people with m e and will start the Perrin technique therapy she has also had m e and I am aware she is pretty much over it so I have been waiting a while for the appointment  so look forward to it and maybe put use to some of the money I have spent into the supplement I take the usual so b vitamins also I struggle with sleep anyone tried melatonin 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

5-HTP is good for sleep and feeling better in the day time.

I have a big bag of supplements. I took them for years and spent loads of money but I got fed up of taking them as they don't seem to make a difference. 5-HTP does though.

• Posted

hi yes have heard of them thanks will have a look sleep is terrible for me to be honest I get maybe 4 hours trying to get melatonin from my neurologist
    • Posted

Lack of sleep is horrible isn't it! I take Valerian, a herb too for sleep at night. It's gentle and works really well.

You could also try putting some Lavendar essential oil drops on your pillow as well.

• Posted

Ha yes I've just took some Kalms they have valerian root it helps but doesn't keep me asleep it's horrible alright after my onset of this illness I don't think I got more than 2 hours a night for about 3 months it was the headaches lot of things calmed down now but it's taking time for my body to adjust again i will try the lavender thanks
    • Posted

Might be best to take pure Valerian root; I use Valerian tincture and it's strong but gentle.
  • Posted

I've tried many supplements and vitamens, including b12 shots. Nothing has helped. Melatonin can help some with sleep, as can Valerian root. Overall, the best thing I've learned is how to manage this illness, through pacing and plenty of rest. Meditation helps me with issues of anxiety and depression. I'd be very wary of people who make claims for certain techniques or therapy. There's plenty of people looking to make money from our illness. I think if these therapies actually worked, there'd be news all over the media that an effective treatment had been found for ME/CFS. I do understand the need for hope, and thinking outside the box may be helpful. Just remember: let the buyer beware. 
    • Posted

Hi Jackie the therapy I am having is helping while it may not help others it's certainly starting to help me  and have had good advice on supplements milk thistle is helping me a lot .i hhave had boxfulls of supplements now i am finding that there is sometimes a order to take and it's a lot of trial and error I can honestly say the last couple of days I haven't crashed and have had more energy the flu head feeling has left me and through out my time with this illness it has been consistent but this is just 2 days but it's a change that I am taking hope from and will continue with the therapy best thing about it is you can take a member of your family with you show them the technique and you can do a lot yourself so they not out to take your money one of the physios has had m e a lot of people from my support group have used them one way or the other I'm not sure if it will get rid of my m e but I will take improvements 
    • Posted

Hi, Russ. That's great that you've had a 2 day respite from some of your symptoms. I hope you continue to improve. Can you explain what this technique is? I'd be very interested to hear more about it. 
    • Posted

Hi Jackie it's early days you can look more at Perrin clinic online I'm not actually at his clinic I'm at another who have been trained by him it's explain more on the site I'm sure he's trained people at other clinics in the country there's a lot of sense to what he's saying to do with lymphatic system I will keep you posted I was waiting for the crash today it didn't happen I m not getting to excited tho I know this illness to well it's worth having a look i any way maybe it's a bit to early for me to be commenting but when I have lived with this for 3 years and every day I have had symptoms maybe it's the supplements who knows I think he's on you tube at a seminar I'm sure the nhs are trailing his work too
  • Posted

This is complicated as a supplement that can help one person may be of no use to someone else.  A scientific way to approach it, which is what I do, is to try one at a time for a period of 2 months.  If it helps, keep it up.  If not, trash it.
  • Posted

For myself, regarding sleep, I have found that natural supplements are simply not strong enough.  I am on 100 mg of Seroquel and 7.5 mg of Zoplicone nightly.  It's like being hit by a truck but I sleep 10 hours a night.
  • Posted

Hi there,

for sleeping I take Amitriptyline 100mg.  Also a high strength multi vitamin, Vegepa capsules and Melatonin 1mg.  They all help.  My sleep is far from perfect but I feel I need to take em all.

Hope it helps and all the very best in finding what works for you

• Posted

Hi I have just tried the melotonin it is helping I take the valerian root herbal teas before bed mines still not perfect seems like or systems just aren't wired right for sleep maybe it will improve with time thanks for your comment
    • Posted

Will maybe need time for Melatonin to work better and for your system to appreciate it.  You can buy 3mg tablets but that does seem a lot to take.

Hope you had a better sleep last night 

• Posted

Hi jam taking 2 mg but told to increase to 4 from my neurologist I have only been taking for a couple of nights I heard you are not suppose to take them long term still sleep is essential tho it's very broken my sleep to be honest always wake up at 5 that's me can't get back then I think it will take time for my body to adjust its been through a lot with the onset of this illness Vegapa they help might try them ?
    • Posted

Yes I take Vegepa and think they do do something positive for my sleep.
    • Posted

I buy the capsules.

shop around for them as they do seem to vary in price.  I check out Amazon and eBay.  If you find them cheaper else where let me know please!

This supplement carry on is getting very expensive!  

But even if a tiny bit of improvement to feel a tiny bit better is worth it eh!

• Posted

I should say I also take Zinc to help with my sleep! 

Completely forgot about that one!!

Again a tiny amount but does something positive.

and one of the cheaper supplements:-)

• Posted

Was just reading your original post there.

How did you manage to get a referral to a neurologist for your sleep?

so you get melatonin on prescription then?

I can get nerve pain with using melatonin long term but stopping for a few days helps but my sleep is awful during that time and it takes a wee while to get back to what to what is it's best.

Will be interesting to see if you start sleeping past 5am...

Hope you slept well last night!

• Posted

Hi I am under neurologist originally for severe headaches she actually diagnosed me with m e they was part of the m e yes you can get on prescription my gp wouldn't prescribe tho had to get a letter from neurologist .

Expensive game having this illness only wish I hadn't wasted money on private doctors waste of time.

You mentioned nerve pain I sometimes take magnesium citrate it helps calm the body I also use it sometimes it also a good one to take a night might be worth a try .

People have mentioned 5htp although not sure there's so many things one can take its becomes a real problem knowing what to take .

I slept about usual 5 hours woke up at 7 30 but didn't get off until about 2 did you find it got better gradually with melotonin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.