Supplements with PMR

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm 61 and was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with PMR.  I've started on 30mg of Prednisolone.  Are there any supplements anyone can advise taking whilst on PMR?  I'm assuming you shouldn't take any immune system boosters with Pred as it works by suppressing the immune system to fight the inflammation - so by taking immune boosters would that counteract the effect of the Pred?  Any advice would be much appreciated!wink

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jacky, you should have been given vit D and calcium by your doctor to counteract steroid side effects. You may like to ask for a vit D blood test too. You should also have been offered a Dexascan, a bone density scan. Personally I tend to ensure my food has enough vitamins etc rather than taking supplements, as that seems to just give the suppliers improved profits. If I have a blood test and I am deficient in something then I would take a supplement but that has not happened yet apart from vit D. 

It is not a good idea to take immune boosters. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply and for your advice.    My doctor didn't give me anything except the Pred and I wasn't offered a Dexascan or vitamin D blood test.  I wanted to discuss diet with her but unfortunately I was shuffled out as she had three other patients waiting! sad   I have a pretty healthy diet anyway and have researched into natural anti inflammatory foods so have been out shopping, but your advice is very helpful - thanks again.

• Posted

I have found that a lot of doctors are rubbish as far as diet is concerned although I have read they are trying to get doctors to become more involved. You are probably much more knowledgable about a good diet. When I asked my rheumie his eyes glazed over and then he said cut out salt.
  • Posted

There is a dedicated PMRGCA forum on this site 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/polymyalgia-rheumatica-and-gca-1708

and in the third post listed there you will find loads of links to useful info and sites. 

There is also a very active forum at HealthUnlocked as well as support groups across the UK.

I'll just say here that you need calcium and vit D supplements for bone density while on pred but otherwise there are few supplements that are of significant use except maybe K2 too for your bones.

We generally feel that "immune system boosters" are not advisable. And if you feel you may have a weight gain problem - cutting processed carbs and possibly carbs in general is really helpful for most of us. Of course there is the odd person who loses weight on pred!!!!

• Posted

Thank you so much for this info, I've ordered a book and there is lots of other useful info on the site.  So far I haven't had any weight gain but it is early days!  I'll look into taking more calcium and Vit D.  smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.