Surgery and Overnight Stay

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been scheduled for surgery on Friday afternoon to have my gallblader removed through keyhole where I'll have to stay in hospital overnight.

I've got all these different leaflets about what I need to do before coming in and what I need to bring etc. but I just want to be sure I've got everything in order and that I won't find myself in an awkward position when I'm at the hospital. I just have the feeling that there must be something I should know/do which they won't tell you in the leaflet. This is my first time that I have to stay in a hospital for such a long period of time, and I'm really very nervous.

I really hope to hear from some of you about your experiences in hospital, and whether there is something you wish someone would have told you about before going in!

One of my big concerns is whether I'll be able to see my boyfriend after I wake up, or if I will have to wait to see him until visiting hours in the evening. Will he be allowed to see me at all after the surgery?

What happens to my personal belongings while I'm in surgery? From what I can understand, I will get moved around alot and I'm worried my things might get lost.

Should I bring a spare set of clothes, or should I wear the clothes that I wore going in to the hospital? Am I okay to wear a sports bra or should I wear something looser? The leaflet says to bring a pyjamas and a dressing gown, and I'm wondering how much privacy you get in regards to changing?

What is it like staying overnight? Should I bring something to entertain myself while staying, or will I be too drugged up on painkillers anyway?

I'm so nervous, and I just want to be well prepared!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've had my stitches removed, and I'm healing really well. The belly button is still a bit sore and it's a little bruised, but apart from that it's fine.

I've yet to experience this diarrhoea that everyone talks about. I have had bowel moments, but it's pretty much the same from before the surgery. I do suffer from IBS and I am therefore frequently constipated.

I think the only thing that was bad about my hospital visit was that I had a bit of an 'episode' when I was in the waiting room before surgery. They'd put a needle into my hand for the anesthesia, but when I got back into the waiting room and looked at it, everything started going black. There was a loud ringing in my ears, and everyone sounded really far away. I was still fully awake, but I cardly see or hear, although I did manage to ask one of the other patiens to get a nurse. I wouldn't say that I'm scared of needles. I've only ever passed out when having blood tests done while sitting. I'm not quite sure why it happened, but it was very embarrassing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.