Surgery due in 3 days and need advice

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm having my gallbladder removed in 3 days time and need it done now as I need to fly long haul in 6 weeks time.

The problem is I have developed diarrhoea and have had it for 3 days. Do I tell the surgeon on the day, do I ring the hospital tomorrow or do I keep it to myself?

I don't think it's a bug, as it's not like any bug I have ever had in my life. It developed after going away for a day, eating an extremely high fat meal, snacking and then a meal replaced by sweets, chocolate and biscuits (long story but either that or no food).  I think, or hope, it's gall bladder related but when the gallstones caused flare ups before (only had 2), it caused serious pain in my chest and vomiting, not diarrhoea.  I have no pain with this.

What should I do?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I forgot to add, I am very nervous about this op, which may also be contributing to the trots
    • Posted

I'm having my Gallbladder out on Thursday, if I had eaten what you had I would have had a very bad attack,vomiting etc.

Ive not had chocolate, red meat, cream, salad dressing, oil of any dicription for 8 months  because the attacks are a killer so I watch everything I eat.

I was 13st in Jan I lost 1and a half stone in six weeks and bingo I had developed stones and started suffering from end of February on.

I have some pain roughly 1-2 weeks, vomiting and pain sometimes lasting 9 hours.

I know some people have a few problems and some like my friend can eat anything afterwards, we are all different and find what suits us best.

Onwards and upwards.😜

• Posted

I'm no expert but you definitely don't want to increase the chance of problems or complications, so I think you should call the hospital tomorrow and speak to a nurse and ask if it's a problem. Likely they'll say it's fine as long as it clears up, but it's better to be on the safe side with surgery! And it definitely could be from anxiety/stress about the surgery itself.

• Posted

Depends if you have any other symptoms. I suffered from diarrhoea from the gallbladder problems and worsening with stress. Call the nurse if you think it could be a problem... But sounds like poor food and stress
  • Posted

Hi susan,

I had my gallbladder out about a month ago, so I empathize with you. Ok,

call your surgeon and let them know that you are having diarrhea.

The surgeon needs to know this new symptom. You will have diarrhea

After surgery for a little but that is normal. Also, you will find that anything

High in fat will cause diarrhea. The best way to avoid the upset is a low fat

Diet with soups, veggies, and fruit. I hope this helps and good luck to you.

• Posted

How long afterwards did you have diarrhea? I had mine out a week ago and it hasn't subsided, and I'm just trying to get some feedback. I realize it could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months but getting other people's experiences makes me feel better smile

• Posted

I had my gallbladder out 5 weeks ago and I still have diarrhea, though it's starting to try and harden up. Im having other complications and am going for an endoscopy on Wednesday next week.(my GI doctor thinks I could have an ulcer, sphincter oddi or a spasming muscle.) It's normal to have diarrhea for awhile, it will get better with time and clear itself up. Mainly when you reintroduce more fiber in your diet you will notice the diarrhea will clear itself up. Main thing is don't push the recovery, take it at your pace, and watch what you eat and you should feel better with time.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply - I truly appreciate it and it definitely puts my mind a bit more at ease. My doctor never warned me of what MAY happen afterwards and when you look around online without digging, they say you may have "temporary" (1-3 days) of diarrhea afterwards OR it's chronic and forever. So I sort of started panicking when it came on! I used to be very adament on having plenty of fiber in my diet before I starting having my initial symptoms so hopefully in the next week or two I will start introducing more again and that will help. It's amazing how much better I feel every morning - I was actually able to sleep on my stomach last night which is a BIG thing for me as that's how I usually sleep. Sleeping on my back/left side like I have been lately has been causing all kinds of weird dreams!

• Posted

Recovery period depends on whether you have keyhole surgery or the bigger operation. If you have the bigger operation the recovery period is 6 weeks.  They cannot be sure which operation you will have untilthey have started the op. You will have to sign a form to say if they cannot remove the gallbladder by keyhole surgery they can carry on with the bigger operation.

Try not to worry and keep off the fatty food!!

Hope allgoes OK

Keep in touch

Sarah xx

• Posted

It definitely would not hurt to let them know since it's different than it's been. It does make sense that it was caused by the types of food you ate, especially if you have a bad gallbladder. As long as you don't have a fever (to indicate you may be sick), I would doubt it would be an issue.

• Posted

I would DEFINETLY mention it..  Diffent viruses interact with anistesia.. 
  • Posted

Hi again Susan let us know how you go, I'm a bit nervous about my op on Thursday 3rd just want to get on with it now.

I will be thinking of you, take care. X

• Posted

Hi everyone. I'm back to normal now, just having my last supper before surgery in the morning.

I've put it all down to stress - firstly I think it was the high fat/sugar/load of rubbish I ate in just one day and then I worried - firstly about the diarrhoea, then about if it was a virus and it would stop them doing the op, then about the op itself ......... I think compounded together it did funny things to my body!  

It's strange though that Yesterday morning I got up and felt calm about it all and hey presto, it stopped.  I feel calm about it now too.  Mind you, reading other comments it looks like I might be worrying about diarrhoea again in a few days!!

Bye for now x

• Posted

I'm glad you're feeling better and calmed down! There really is nothing to worry about with the surgery. It is a piece of cake.

You might have diarrhea afterwards.. and you might not! Everyone I've personally talked to that had theirs out never had a problem afterwards. I didn't have a bowel movement for 2.5 days after the surgery and then it has been diarrhea ever since. BUT it's only a few times in the morning and then I'm done so as far as it goes, I feel like I've got it easy compared to some for now. I've been taking probiotics and it already seems to be helping. I also keep telling myself that if it does end up being the horrible version of it, there are OTC and prescription medicines to help if needed. I feel better every day!

Just remember to eat no/low fat for the first few weeks until your body gets used to not having a gallbladder. Then slowly introduce other foods to see what (if anything) is a trigger. I'm sure you're going to be so happy to be done with the pain! I know I am. VERY good luck tomorrow and keep us posted!!!

• Posted

Glad you're feeling better! Good luck with the surgery and let us know how it goes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.