Surgery due in 3 days and need advice

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm having my gallbladder removed in 3 days time and need it done now as I need to fly long haul in 6 weeks time.

The problem is I have developed diarrhoea and have had it for 3 days. Do I tell the surgeon on the day, do I ring the hospital tomorrow or do I keep it to myself?

I don't think it's a bug, as it's not like any bug I have ever had in my life. It developed after going away for a day, eating an extremely high fat meal, snacking and then a meal replaced by sweets, chocolate and biscuits (long story but either that or no food).  I think, or hope, it's gall bladder related but when the gallstones caused flare ups before (only had 2), it caused serious pain in my chest and vomiting, not diarrhoea.  I have no pain with this.

What should I do?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think you need to let your doctor/hospital know - you may have something like food poisoning - or just a bug which will need to be treated.  The sooner it's sorted out the better for you.  

I had to go on a pre op diet for my gallbladder surgery - milk, milk and more milk.  I had a very close relationship with the toilet!!!!

Hope you manage to go on your trip.

• Posted

Hi guys. Two days after surgery - all went well (keyhole) and ok but feeling very battered and sore today.  Up last night with diarheao and I thought this is the start ... but fingers crossed I've been ok today.

• Posted

So glad to hear your surgery went well! It sounds like you are through the worst part and will continue to feel better.
    • Posted

Hi Susan glad to hears alls well, Thursday is coming up fast now for mine I just want to get on with it hate this hanging around makes you nervous.

• Posted

First 2-3 days are the worst! It's all uphill from here. I started with diarrhea too - it seems to be dissipating so don't fret there!! Keep low fat, walk around a bit to help the gasses come out but most importantly - rest up!! Glad to hear from you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.