Surgery for prolapsed bladder and rectum, along with vaginal repair for rectocele in the morning

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey everybody!!!

I have been waiting for 5 years to have the damage that happened during the birth of my son to be repaired, and tomorrow is the day. When I was in labor with my son, he got stuck pretty bad in my pelvis and my doctor cut me from front to back (skin, tissue, muscle, everything!) and only stitched back the skin. (I don't know if it's possible to stitch up everything else). anyways, I am having a posterior vaginal repair, rectocele, and prolapsed bladder and rectum. I am only 20 years old. My mom is a nurse and so is my boyfriend's mom and they will be taking care of me. After the surgery, will it be as painful as it was after giving birth or worse? Even with everything that happened during my birth, I really wasn't in pain after. I seem to have a high vaginal pain tolerance but a very low pain tolerance for abdominal cramps. Is there any last minute advice? I have arrangements for my son, I have a ste thing for going to the bathroom after. Anything else I should do to prepare? I am on stool softeners and I have been having the easiest bowel movements since I had my son. Anything else? Thank you all for the support and help!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Chey,

Glad to hear that you've managed to get your bowels sorted out. I know that was one of the things i struggled with the most initially. Took 3 enemas before i left the hospital and wasnt till i got home that it all finally came out. Now I'm taking psyllium husk and slippery elm twice a day and its working wonders. Whew!!

I'm nearly 3 weeks post op and like you doing a little bit of driving. Sometimes I'll feel ok and be like ok i just pop down the road and grab a few things from the supermarket and by the time i get from the car to the shop i can 'just' manage to grab a few necessities and get out. I'll feel so heavy and aching i can barely stand. When i get home i have to lie down for 5 mins before i put the handful of items away. It's so strange how you think your doing better than you really are. I'm also now on antibiotics so not sure if the infection is slowing me down a bit. And yes, sleep.is a killer for me also. I mainly can't sleep because that's when I'm most uncomfortable and seem to feel everything.

It's a slow journey I'm learning and focusing on the positives is the key. But yeah sleep would be nice! LOL

• Posted

When I shop, I don't walk. I find that is too much and causes pain later so I ride in the automated wheelchair. I think the infection probably did slow you down, I am only a little over a week and I just started an antibiotic and feel so much better already. I went about 5 days without my first bowel movement and I was taking 2 sometimes 3 stool softeners per day. It hurt but what made it so bad was my vaginal muscles. I think my muscle had to be put back in place during the surgery, but when I had my bowel movements, the vaginal muscles would start flexing and squeezing which hurts really bad, but I couldn't control it. It was like a really bad muscle spasm that happened every bowel movement. It finally stopped doing that. I was afraid every time I had to go. I'm in the states in Indiana. Where are you?
  • Posted

Wow, like the sound of the wheelchair, that could be kind of fun! Haha

This is day 3 of the antibiotics but not much improvement really if any. I see the doctor again tomorrow so will be interesting to see what happens. I do suffer autoimmune conditions though, so not sure if that's impacting on all this but suspect it is.

Unfortunately with my first child my right lavata muscle was completely severed so no re attaching as it just doesnt exist. Once i heal up I'll need to really focus on getting that left muscle strong to compensate for the missing muscle on the right. I do or i should say did a lot of gym work prior to this and my PT completely changed my program to be 'pelvic floor friendly'once we knew i had a problem and she did a great job. I desperately miss the work outs i used to do like the chin ups etc and still get angry and feel a little cheated that i can no longer do those and never will be able to again. But i just need to focus on what i can do and go from there. I know it sounds really petty but the last 4 years have been hell to put it mildly (job loss from 16 years, marriage break down from 23 years and bankruptcy filing all in the space of one month -dec 2010) and the gym along with meditation has been the only thing that's been able to get me focused again and lift me out of a really dark place. Cardio type exercise is out for me due to alot of factors (struggle to maintain weight so definitely cannot go loosing it, autoimmune kicks in when body temp raises too much etc..) So weight training was perfect and i loved it... anyway.. im rambling.. sorry.. bad day...

So... I'm in Queensland, Australia, but i did live in Maryland, USA for 3 years back in the 80's. Did my jnr high school years there and loved it! Also used to travel alot to Ft Lauderdale for work alot but like the north more. Never been to Indiana sorry. Do you like it there?

• Posted

Hi Chey

Just wondering how you are doing after your op and hoping all going well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.