Surgery hip replacement

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi again any advice and support as in a previous post I have stated I am having a rt hip replacement on 18th August. In my letter its saying i am having a Gereral Anesthetic any thoughts around this I thought that I would be having an Epidural.......

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Are you sure about epidural?  with and Epidural, they can 'top up' the sedation, it is more usual to have a 'spinal block' as they can determine the expected length of the operation before hand (unlike childbirth).   

Spinal block with sedation is the preferred method as we are told it is generally safer than a full general anaesthetic.

See my website for more info on anaesthetics and other tips from fellow hippies on this forum, the website address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and at the bottom of the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

• Posted

I had epidural

and sedated I did not hear nothing just wake up in recovery room and than they took me to my room. It was OK

Madla

• Posted

Hi I had epidural with sedation, didn't feel or hear a thing! Was woken up at the end, and the surgeon was telling me that I'd done very well, to which I said, No you've done very well, I've just been lying here..." Had my lunch an hour later.

• Posted

Hi Julie , I had my operation 10 days ago.  I'm in the uk . I was never asked at my pre op assessment about what I wanted re General anaesthetic or epidural and sedation. However , on the day of my operation the Anesthetist came and spoke to me and gave me the option of both .  He also did this with others on my ward.  So you perhaps will still get the opportunity to chose.  If they don't mention it then ask if you can have the choice .  I was all set in my mind for a GA but once discussed with the anesthetist changed ny mind and went for an epidural with sedation . Best of luck to you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.