Surgery on shoulder

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm having shoulder surgery in 3 weeks. Any advice for showers? Girls any advice on how to get rid of armpit hair? Repair rotator cuff.

0 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I shaved 2 days before surgery then didnt care for the longest time. Personally I didnt care what other people could see. I mean you just had your shoulder majorly messed with... they can get over it and the only person really up in there is either your doctor or your physical therapist. You are not the first hairy armpit they have encountered nor will you be the last. just have deoderant on.... I would recommend spray deoderant...just easier than shoving the normal up under the painful arm. I took showers, just be careful no falling smile They will go over all the do's and don'ts so relax. oh and dont forget to take you pain pills....you will regret that if you do it.

Good Luck!!!

• Posted

oh and i forgot, I got really chaffed with being in my immobilizor so i ended up using of all things diaper rash cream....worked like a dream smile

• Posted

I am having right done beginning of February...where, perhaps how, does this immobilizer work? Do you sleep in it...how does it come off.

thank you

judith

• Posted

you will wake up from surgery in the immobilizer so you and whoever you have helping you need to pay attention how it comes off of you so you can put it back on. Once you get used to it, its really easy. The attached photos are the immobilizer i woke up in my first time. Probably depends on what the doctor ends up doing on the severity of the immobilizer. I had 2 anchors placed for my labral tear my first time and woke up in the DonJoy Ultrasling. Watch out for losing your red stress ball that comes with the immobilizer....I lost mine within 3 days, it falls out easliy and being on the pain meds didnt help me keep track of it.

You will do everything in the immobilizer which includes sleeping. Pillows are you friend cause the first time you actually make it into a bed to attempt to sleep you will be pretty much sitting up. I'd stay in a recliner as long as you can then after a week or so graduate to the bed. Sleeping sucks!!!! I used a small dose of benedryl to help with getting to sleep, the pain meds help too but you have to be careful and watch out for constipation. You dont want to get clogged up!!! Use metamucil or something like it to keep yourself regular. I used the tasteless stuff. It worked for me.

Only time you are out of the immobilizer is when you finally get to take a shower and at Physical therapy. Just be careful cause it will hurt if you jerk to much. PT can help you understand your immobilizer if you dont figure it out. Most of the time you start PT 1 wk post surgery. If you havent already...go to my discussion about what happened with me. I went over alot of things that for a first timer I would like you to know.

Good Luck!!!

• Posted

Before I left the hospital my physical therapist took pictures of how the immobilizer is supposed to be on so my husband would know how to do it.  10 days after my total reverse shoulder replacement I went back to my doctor to have staples removed and was allowed to take a shower.  Showering is the only time I was allowed to be out of the immobilizer.  The physical therapist recommended to either use a shower chair or one of the resin lawn chairs for showering.  You still are not allowed to use your arm.  You can use the arm from elbow down but upper part must remain stationary.  I had a nurse come to my home 3 x the first week I was home and a physical therapist come 6 x before my doctors appt.  after that I did the exercises on my own until I go back to the doctors on Nov.15,2016.  I had the other shoulder done on May 3,2016 so by now I have the routine down.  Once I see the doctor on Nov. 15,2016 the immobilizer will come off then I will go for therapy 3x a week for 4 weeks then back to the doctors.  At that time he will probably discontinue therapy, he will have me continue exercises at home and have me come back to him 
    • Posted

Muriel, thank you so very much ..I have a shower seat, and a gal that comes to help me...

The photo is awesome idea. . but that means you take the immobilizer off. Why do you take it off or do you mean after the 10 days?

• Posted

you can remove the immobilizer to get dressed but are not supposed to move the arm of the surgery side.  After 10 days I saw the dr and was then allowed to take a shower but you still are not allowed to move the arm of the side you had your surgery.   I would also suggest getting bigger tops than you would normally wear, with snaps, zippers or buttons so they will be easier to get off and on.  My physical therapist that came to my house preferred I wear xtra big shirts that she showed me how to get off and on.  I found some with v necks that were better than the round necked ones. 
    • Posted

My immobilizer will come will come off on November 15,2016 which will be 6 weeks since my total reverse replacement surgery. Hope this helps. 

• Posted

i am counting the days for sure and can't wait for the immobilizer to come off but thank goodness the weather is not so hot right now.  I live in Florida and when I had my left total reverse shoulder replacement done in May it was horrible because it was so hot and wearing this immobilizer made me even hotter that is why I waited until October to have my right shoulder done.  If you have any other questions I can answer feel free to ask and good luck with your surgery

• Posted

Thank you...I am Colorado Springs...just had right total ekbow, January is right DRUJ replacement and February is the right shoulder...August will be right hand total revision!

I will be all new and shiny and drive the TSA batty...chuckle chuckle

• Posted

One other thing that is good to have is something to wear over your immobilizer while eating, especially spaghetti with sauce. I bought an apron because it is hard to put anything over the immobilizer.   
    • Posted

I had rotary cuff surgery. My arm stiffened up so much from not moving it within a day. My Dr wants me to move my elbow down to my wrist to prevent it freezing on me. I was icing my arm instead of shoulder. All surgerirs are different but ask your dr if you can move ur elbow down to your wrist.

I wear button shirts, nothing overhead. Light zipper jacket may be the best to wear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.