surgery tomorrow, I have a few questions about the day/recovery

Posted , 7 users are following.

So unless hospital cancels again I'm having my gallbladder out tomorrow. I have a few questions some probably quite silly!

1. Can you wear deodorant on the day and brush teeth in the morning?

2. Can you wear underwear during the surgery (obviously not bra!)

3. How will I feel when I wake? Eg could you breathe ok did you have oxygen on you, did you feel dizzy/drunk (I have anxiety so want to prepare myself for what's normal so I don't panic)

4. How long after you woke did you go home? How did you feel going home still groggy? Sick in pain?

5. What painkillers did you take? I was told I wont be provided with any painkillers to take home and to just buy paracetamol and ibuprofen! I do have some tramadol left at home and codydramol but have read its not good to take codeine after gallbladder removal as it can cause the same pain as a gallbladder attack.

6. Did you get any sleep that night how did you get comfortable?

7. When did you feel able to walk to the shops and go on a train journey. (I would like to go to an open day for a school where we are moving too but it is a 2.5 hr train journey,I would stay at my mils house this is 6 days after operation?

Thankyou sorry so many questions I'm so nervous.

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

1) Yes

2) They will give you a pair of disposable panties. No bra tho.

3) I just woke up, didn't feel sick. Bit sore but not bad. Did have oxygen for a while.

4) I was in hospital for 1 night only

5) I was given paracetamol and codeine and later co codamol.

6) After the op I didn't sleep a lot as I was hooked up to all kinds of machines due to BMI and BP.

I had op on Monday. By Friday I was going out for the day - someone else drove. Was very tired and a little sore but not bad. After 2 weeks  went back to work.

• Edited

Hi everyone im 23 years old i have schedule surgery for Wednesday the 14 im really scared i anxiety so this makes it worst im so afraid to die lol the only thing i think about is my daughter and wishing everything will be ok.. I'm glad your doing well michelle hope you keep getting better.!
    • Posted

Hi shayla,

I suffer with anxiety too I was convinced I wouldn't wake up from the operation or something major would go wrong. But a week on and I'm still here! When you meet the anaesthetist let them know how nervous you are, mine told me he had lined up a few pina coladas to go in my veins! That really helped I don't even remember being put to sleep. Next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. They give you lots of good pain relief after surgery. I was given codeine to take at home but I've only needed paracetamol and ibuprofen. Only needed them up to day 5. Of course everyone is different some peoples need more and that's fine too.

The thing I'm finding annoying is not being able to sleep on my side. Also have back pain mid back right side.

Yesterday I had a few stomach cramps after dinner (Quorn spag vol and garlic bread) and had to rush to the loo had very slight loose stool. Hope it was just a one off. Feeling a bit nauseous from time to time too.

• Edited

Hi Shayla, I was exactly the same.... Petrified! I remember bursting into tears whilst the aneathatist was taking me through it... He reassured me, mentiined a large glass of red wine then the next thing i knew i was in recovery!! I had my op at 8.30am this morning and I am now in my own comfy bed with a cuppa, my hubbie and little girl looking after me and feeling well considering! I am on some painkillers .... They sent me home with paracetamol, ibuprofen and codeine. They made 4 incisions and they are tender but not as bad as I expected.

You will be fine. Try not to worry... I know easier said than done. And let us know how you get on xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.