Susan COPD

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my mum had been told she has copd she had it for a few years now and trying to watch her take a breath is very upsetting now we just found out she has now got lung cancer I think it time the company that make cigarette do something about this even our MP need to ban cigarette for life there are worse the some of the drugs that are illegal if these companies can go and see people with this condition and how hard it is for them to take a breath that we all take for granted am pleading with anyone who smokes to

please please stop now before its to late for you

5 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan,

My heart goes out to you and your mum. My mom died from lung cancer and she was a life long smoker. I never smoked but breathed her and my dad's smoke, plus all of their friend's. I have COPD.

The cigarette companies have already been sued and they lost and they were forced to do certain things and pay money. But no one told the companies that they had to stop producing and selling cigarettes.

I am sorry our mum's chose to smoke. All we can do is choose differently for ourselves.

I am with you in spirit Susan.

Hugs,

💛 Dawn, USA

• Posted

Thank you Dawn am glad I don't smoke the company s need

to STOP selling them as they are killing people how that can live with them self as i couldn't I think its the money these

companies are thinking of xx

• Posted

Agreed!!! You are soooo right! Thank you susan07204. I am an x smoker and can empathize. ..but not sympathize. Unless you just want die..you must stop smoking! People say oh I understand how hard it is bc I smoked too so don't push them. Listen, they need to get real and stop smoking around a Person with COPD and definitely if they have it themselves. I noticed when I was diagnosed my Dr talked about my future as tho it would be very short and this upset me so much more importantly it confused me alot bc I missed the information about how I could improve. I found out later it was bc he knew I was a smoker and so many of his pts continue to smoke, after being diagnosed, that he had no faith that I would be any different and he just told me the worst, even tho I told him I would not be smoking anymore. But that was really wrong of him and he needs to stop that bc it's not supportive, it's not necessarily true, and it's a horrible prognosis for the pt to hear. On the day I was admitted to the hosp..Sept 3rd 2014

and was diagnosed I gave up smoking bc of the fear in my husband's face and the panic in my son and daughters face. They were crying and it killed me inside. I haven't even slipped once...I do do the vapor and highly recommend that. Hell I smoked over 35 years so I am very grateful to God, I just wish I had stopped alot earlier. Ladyjack51

• Posted

Hi ladyjack51 I don't smoke but do understand my dad smoked as well but had to go into hospital about 30 years ago

it was something to do with the veins in his legs he had to get

something done to widen then he was put in a word with

people who had there legs cut off due to smoking and as soon as he got home he put his figs in the fire and every time he

wanted a CIG he would eat a polo mint and that how he

stopped but I know it isn't as easy for others but if you see

someone with COPD trying to get a breath then I think they

wouldn think again before smoking again

• Posted

Hey be grateful to yourself too!  Kicking the nicotine addicition is the hardest one ...

If the dr's attitude shocked you into stopping then maybe he was using tough love, or maybe he was just sick & tired of trying to help patients who wouldn't help themselves.  A close friend and I were shocked when her son in his 20's was in a coma with liver damage from extremely excessive drinking, and the doctors said they don't give liver transplants to young men with drinking problems because the vast majority of them start drinking heavily again.

We saw their point totally, but it was heartbreaking for his family, I was with them until he died a couple of days after they turned off the life support.

Sorry I got totally off the track there .....

And yeah, don't we all wish we hadn't started smoking or had stopped decades ago ... I still beat myself up about this occasionally, but it's pointless ... I do however casually let the smokers I know what my symptoms and life restrictions are ..... two of them have stopped smoking!

• Posted

I dont think you're totally off track at all....it's the same thing but my point is that it's not very supportive for a newly diagnosed pt to get such negativity from her Dr about their future. Do you see what I mean? I get why he said it....I think it is wrong to show the negativity to me and sad that he has lost faith but that's a bedside manner he needs to work on. Kinda goes against the Hypocratic Oath.
    • Posted

PS...you said..."if the Dr's attitude shocked me into stopping then maybe he was just using tough love or maybe he was sick of helping pts who wouldn't help themselves" First of all, he didn't shock me into stopping at all...as I said it was the fear in my husband's face and my children crying that made me vow right then that I would not smoke another cigarette. But I believe you are right about him being sick and tired for sure. I think he needs a vacation maybe. I am grateful to myself too tho....even if it is almost too little too late.
  • Posted

More people with lung cancer and COPD from smoking should sue tobacco companies, because they knew for decades it was dangerous and kept selling it.   Now western countries have woken up to them they're concentrating on selling heir poison in third world countries.   They wouldn't give a stuff about your mother's illness or anyone else's, as they only care about profits:  I think it's called Capitalism????

Banning is NOT the answer:  have a think about it, did it work with alcohol prohibition in the US?  Does it work now with illegal drugs?    

Your last plea is the answer, not banning smoking.   At least here in Australia there are fewer and fewer public places people can smoke and even when I was a smoker I was glad of that.     Cigarettes and tobacco are now so expensive here that I don't understand how anyone on benefits can afford to smoke, but then I did when I was really poor and gave up other healthier things to do so.

I'm so sorry about your mum and wish you all the best in dealing with this situation.

• Posted

Hi I am so sorry to hear about your mum,  this must be awful for her and you.  The cigarette manufacturers know the damage it causes and care even less.  The Govt. should ban cigarettes completely but we all know they won't because of the huge revenus it generates!  x

• Posted

They might end up banning them hypercat,Here in the States it's almost a crime to smoke...every time they need money they Tax cigarettes, alot of store chains..1 by 1 are beginning to stop selling them. You can't smoke inside anywhere and outside in some places, you can't even smoke in your car depending on where you are parked. I'm so glad I quit. I loved smoking and thought I would never be able to quit bc how will you really stop something if you truly like it? But the COPD diagnosis did it for me...the fear and panic in my family's faces...that's what did it. Ladyjack51
    • Posted

And because it'd work about as well as alcohol prohibition worked in the US.   They might get a lot of revenue from tobacco, but smokers cost the government a lot too in medical treatment, subsidised medication  and benefit payments.   I know, I'm in that category as an ex smoker.myself

• Posted

I didn't realise th US had adopted the sort of stringent measures we have in Australia, that's real news to me.   

We now have pretty ugly plain packaging and cigarettes & tobacco can't be displayed in shops any more.   I think it's great:  I'm old enough to remember when there were ashtrays in doctors' waiting rooms, patients and visitors could smoke in hospitals, there were smoking carriages on trains and people would walk around the supermarket smoking - imagine anyone doing any of that now, the mind boggles!

• Posted

I miss eating a good meal and sitting there smoking afterward. Yeah, The States have cracked down but then state by state we are slowly legalizing weed. I guess that's ok if you smoke it in a pipe but not rolled in paper bc of the carcinogens in the burning paper. Who knows? I never asked about weed. I think I could use some medical Marijuana for my cellulitis and lymphodema pain *sigh*

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.