SVT advice please :)

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there

I was diagnosed with SVT in October last year so I am pretty new to this.  I was just wondering what the funny heart beats are I keep getting?  It's like my heart flip flops (like when you trip over or miss the last step).  My actual SVTs come on and last for hours.  Are these funny blips part of the condition?  I have been taking a low dose of bioprolol for nearly 3 weeks now and have not had an actual SVT but the blips are happening every now and then (I have had 3 or 4 today).  I also have anxiety so they worry me!  Any advise would be received gratefully smile

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sonia,

i personally have little flutter like things you describe sometimes randomly aswell.

then if i have a big episode its like full blown palpations where it beats really fast and last for upto 10 mins at a time. I get anxiety myself and sometimes i think that can make me get the little flip flop feeling more lol. But ive had every type of heart scan going and assured its normal to get them so i wouldnt stress yourself out. Maybe if your having a day when they are alot more lay of caffiene a bit more x

• Posted

Thanks Hannah.  I think I just need to know it's normal.  I hate having SVT it's really holding me back.  I think if the funny flip flop thing happens once then I am on high alert for it to happen again so almost set it ogg maybe. x
  • Posted

I have had SVT for many years and used to get little blips all the time sometimes they would turn into the long lasting symptoms other times they would just last a couple of seconds, I had an ablation last October as I was taking a lot of medication for it, the ablation has stopped all of the long lasting symptoms but I still get some of the blips, I was told by the Cardiologist that it was probably these small blips that could have triggered the main problem so I am still getting these but to be honest it doesn't worry me as it is nothing like the long episodes of SVT and the Cardiologist is quite happy

• Posted

Thank you.  What kind of medication did you take and did it help before you had the ablation?
    • Posted

I took Flecainide,  I was on it for around 14 years it did keep it in check but I still had a few episodes and could not miss any or I knew about it the SVT soon started up I have to admit the ablation has worked wonders

• Posted

Hi Sonia

I meant to say I re-iterate Hannah's comment on the caffine stay clear where you can , I drank de-caf coffee & herbal tea's and wine also affects it

• Posted

Thanks.  I do try and avoid caffeine and I don't drink.  My major problem is smoking but I am going to a stop smoking clinic tomorrow so fingers crossed!
  • Posted

im lucky enough to not take medication as they have become less frequent as i have got older so after all my scans ive been told to come back if it starts to bother me to the point i want the ablation done but i can go months without but often just get the little flutters which for me is bareable. You will find maybe when your getting yourself worked up and anxious you are subconsciously worrying about it and triggering it more thats what i find coz anxiousness in itself can cause palpitations. Smoking can also trigger it more. Im an avid gym goer which helps keep my anxiousness at bay and therefore makes it more manageable ive found x
  • Posted

Wow you sound just like me I have anxiety too.what the flutters are is if you have wow..you will get them all the time..before I had the ablation done I would get them like you sometimes 3 or 4 or more a day and some days not at all....OK what it is ..is your heart has an extra pathway. Or circuit... Wow...when it happeneds your heart is trying to take the bad path your heart is stuck between the two..try coughing real hard it should help it go back to the right path..you need to get the extra pathway burned.. Aka ablation.. Or freeze it..if none of them can work sometimes you may need a pacemaker... Try and stay calm..I know its hard with anxiety.. I had real bad panic attacks too..God bless..if you have any more questions feel free to ask I been in your shoes
  • Posted

The little flutter or flip flop you feel is most likely a skipped heartbeat, also known as PVC, or PAC.   These are normal and happen to everyone although some people are more aware of them and can feel them while others don't.  Sometimes with SVT people these extra beats can trigger an svt, but they are two different things.  I think you guys have to find a doctor you really trust..  I could have sworn up and down I had some kind of SVT or heart arrythmia and I wore a monitor and the heart doctor told me it was a panic attack.. It didn't feel like one.. I would get them out of the blue and my heart would race and pound like it was in its own mode.  I could imagine some people get misdiagnosed out there or baltantly lied to by some doctors sometimes.  Hopefully my doctor isn't one of them and i didn't get misdiagnosed either lol.  I wouldn't worry about skipped beats.. the more you worry about them the more they seem to happen.. I have gotten those a lot and they scared the hell out of me.. 
  • Posted

Hello Sonia,

I suffered svt for about five years, although it was intermittant as were the heart 'flip flops' as you describe them.  I also took a low strength bisoprolol dose.  On the 23rd December last year I had my ablation and touch wood, I have not had an episode since.  Even the 'flip flops' or PVCs appear to have gone.  My advice is not to worry,but if you are worried, do all you can to see an expert in this field of medicine.  General practitioners cannot be expected to be expert at everything, so a visit to a physiologist plus the normal examinations may be the start of you sorting your problems out.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Hello,

The key here is to catch the svt on an ecg so that you can be diagnosed.  Otherwise, when you go to your doctors to tell him what has happened, he examines you and your heart may be perfectly normal in correct sinus rythym.  In my case, I got out of bed one morning and my heart started racing.  I drove to the doctor's surgery, walked straight into the nurses's room and demanded an ecg there and then.  They said, "Have you booked in?"  I said, "No my heart is racing so I need an ecg now."

They informed a doctor who was having a coffee break and he came down and diagnosed svt in a few seconds.  Unless you manage to catch the episode then it may be difficult to convince your doctor you have svt.

• Posted

I got mine recorded on a holter they said my heart is ok and i had an anxiety attack.. Is it possible the leads were connected wrong?  I found the setup of the wires to be a little bit odd. .I had none on the upper part of my chest.. they were all kind of in a row going across the lower left side of my chest
  • Posted

Hello Paladinx,

Obviously I am not qualified to comment on your Holter test, but I strongly suggest it was done accurately by professionals.  You must be guided by the result of your  test as they recorded your suspect episode.

• Posted

Yeah.. I am trying to.  I want to have faith in people and the medical estalishment but when I get these attacks, I feel like wth.. How is this an anxiety attack.. and than i think about how they set up the device and how I don't see any holter monitors set up that way and the question creeps back into my mind... Did they screw up and misdiagnose me?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.