SVT catheter ablation operation

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am having an operation to stop SVT in a couple of months.  I am really scared and have to stay awake.  Can anyone reassure me that it isn't as bad as it sounds please!

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I had ablation totally without sedative or anaesthetic, I'm not going to say it was a pleasant experience but neither was it awful! They were able to trigger an attack very easily and if you're not too squeamish you can watch the whole thing as they do it on a TV monitor. My first one wasn't a success so I had it done a second time about 14years ago. You will be fine and just think of the end result, good luck X 
  • Posted

Your fear is normal and understandable.  That said, and with competent medical care, your chances of doing well are very high.  Odds makers would bet on you and strongly expect to win.  For me, the ablation itself was unpleasant, but way past acceptable.  Please try to be confident. I am confident for you.  We all wish you well.  
  • Posted

Thanks everyone, its only 4 weeks now until my op, so I'm just trying to keep busy and think of life without SVT! 
  • Posted

Hi again everyone,  Thought I get back on this forum to let you know that I had my second attempted ablation on Wednesday.  The first one was 6 months ago and failed because an attack couldn't be triggered and I was really disappointed.  However this one was successful.  My consultant said he managed to trigger it twice before ablating and was then unable to trigger it again, so I am hopeful that it has really been sorted out this time!  So to those in the same situation don't despair; in fact if an attack hadn't been triggered the consultant was going to ablate along the whole area and was confident of sorting it anyway.  To new user, I wasn't given much sedation, maybe because they wanted me alert this time and I must be honest it was a bit uncomfortable at times but so worth it in the long run.  I was unlucky enough to have a heavy bleed from my wound when I tried to stand up too and was kept in overnight lying flat but I think that's unusual.  Even after all that I would do it again in a flash for the same outcome.  Good luck and I hope yours goes really well. 

• Posted

I'm so happy to hear this! My first attempt didn't work either and I'm due to hsve my second attempt late July. I'm so scared of it not working again as this is ruining my daily life. Congratulations! I can only imagine how happy you must be x

• Posted

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Sarah.  Maybe your consultant could do the kind of thing mine was considering if he is unable to trigger an attack for you.  It might be worth mentioning it to him.  Take care and good luck!

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Just checking in to see how you are doing. Hope all is well

• Posted

Hi Lolasmum,  Thanks for your message.  Yes I'm doing well thanks.  Still feeling tired and haven't got much energy but I think that's to be expected for a while.  I'm getting a tight feeling in my chest sometimes, like indigestion but no palpitations so far. don't think I'll really believe I'm cured for  a few months yet though.  wink

• Posted

Good to hear you are doing well. Did you have to wear a monitor a week or so after your ablation? 
    • Posted

No nothing at all.  The consultant just said I shouldn't need to take propanalol any more either

• Posted

Well good for you. Lovely to hear successful stories. Wished mine had been........
    • Posted

Don't give up!  They couldn't trigger mine the first time either.  Thinking of you and Sarah and keeping my fingers crossed for you both.  xx

• Posted

Thank you Mary. I had a lovely chat with Sarah a couple of days ago. Her big day is the 25 the i think. Let's remember to send out positive vibes that day for her.

• Posted

I'm really happy for you that the operation worked the second time. I didn't even realise that the failure rate first time was so high x

• Posted

Definitely!  Lots of good vibes and prayers!  x
    • Posted

It's seems to be something they don't mention but I have come across many others it's happened to - including my Pilates teacher's husband at a different hospital too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.