Swallowing Difficulty - Desperate

Posted , 31 users are following.

God this is really getting me down, to point I have been wondering if I am ever going to eat again and I am frightening myself with the thoughts I am having.

I just cannot swallow solid foods, it started 4 weeks ago. i was happily eating some chicken and all of a sudden my throat 'closed' and I choked. I managed to cough it back up and carried on eating after.

Next day, for love nor money could I swallow, each time I tried i choked.

4 weeks later and I still keep trying the odd bit of food here and there and it just won't go down.

I have had an endoscope - that was a highly unpleasant experience but it found nothing. I was told to go home and eat and to stop being so stressed.

I have been to seen a sports therapist and she has found that I have very very tight neck and jaw muscles. But it still feels like food won't go down, although I did feel better once I had seen her.

Trying to get another appointment with the doctor is like golddust.

I am normally a fit and healthy 37yr old woman, mum of three. I love my food and I want to eat. Thing is, this has gone on so long now I have gone past being hungy. I think this is probably a bit physcologial now as well but the tightening really does happen.

The back of my neck, round to the front and up under the jaw is so tight.

Please someone tell me I am not going nuts and that I will be able to eat again.

5 likes, 96 replies

96 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello everyone, this is my first post. 

I have no peristalsis, a lower oesophageal sphinctre that doesn't close, hiatus hernia and gastric reflux.

Surgery to repair hernia and sphinctre has been advised against because I could end up a lot worse due to lack of peristalsis. My lungs have deteriorated as I constantly aspirate. Gastric tube feeding has been recommended but I cannot contemplate this yet. Constant coughing and regurgitation is embarrassing and exhausting. Wedge pillow  and bed elevation don't work. I slide down! Six small meals a day pureed or not don't always stay with me. I don't have Achalasia.

Is anyone else in this predicament with medication and surgery not an option?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice. I don't feel alone anymore!

Regards,

flowergarden

• Posted

You might think about a memory foam mattress / mattres topper that might help with the sliding down?  (Try Dunelm)  or a bed that can be adjusted also to raise your knees (Try Ikea).   Experiment with cheap options first!

I can see the logic of the decision against the surgery.   The only thing I can suggest is that it might be worth thinking about the linx device, a magnetic bracelet that creates a gentle pressure around the lower oesophageal sphincter.  But the application of this is very restricted and very few surgeons fit them.  You do have to look after your lungs, but I suspect that anything you so will always involve a compromise of some sort.

• Posted

Thank you for the suggestions. Have tried thin memory foam pillows on top of wedge when larger piece not available. Currently using a memory foam pillow under my knees. Will try a few other avenues. From my research the linx device surgery is not yet available in Australia. Training in this area is currently being undertaken. I think it seems to be a safer option. I appreciate your input.

Best wishes

flowergarden

• Posted

I have had achalasia for a few years, getting worse, especially nocturnal regurgitation.

I have just had my fourth Acupuncture treatment, with excellent results( I can't believe I' m writing this, but I was getting desperate) and have no trouble at night,, much better swallowing and less chest pain.

I would recommend a medical lay qualified acupuncturist as he/she would know what you are talking abour

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your success.   This may well be of great interest to others.
    • Posted

I have been suffering too!  I have a neurological evaluation in 2 weeks but need relief now!  I debated going to an acupuncturist.  I had gone to one years ago for migraines with great success.  I was wondering what is a medical lay acupunctunrist? What the difference from a "regular" acupuncturist and a medical lay acupuncturist? You mentioned it in your comment and how successful it was for you and I would love to give it a try.

• Posted

Could also be crycopharengeal bar, or crycopharengeal spasms. The Upper esophageal sphincter controls the muscle in this area. Feels like someone has there hands aroud your neck, trying to strangle you. I definately think a motility test is in order, it will definately answer some questions. Diffuse esophageal spasms, achlasia - all are esophageal sphincter issues. Silent acid reflux disease (no burning, but definately acid coming up the throat can trigger spasms in the throat)
  • Posted

This works for me every time, I drink milk .  After a couple of swallows my throats opens up.  Also if I'm going to eat the trigger foods (French fries, tater tots, rice or anything deep fried I will drink the milk with the food and before it.  Also taking a acid pill like the oc heartburn pill before I eat helps as well. 

• Posted

Also the doctors think the cause is my Lupus, an autoimmune disease I've had for thirty years.  Any autoimmune disease could cause it.

• Posted

Hay my name is melissa iam on my mum email iam 31 this yr and it's my 5th year blending food I choked 5 years ago on food and wish I could eat i think it's in my head as i had endoscopy to and it was all good but wish someone could help me with this as its affecting my life but is it real or is it in our heads I know it's really happening to me as I have proof if u have any ideas would be great as all my food is liquid like water thanks

• Posted

It is not just 'in your head'.   Ahalasia is normally associated with the nerve endings that drive the muscles of the swallowing function.   There is a booklet 'A Patinet's guide to Achalasia' that you can download from te website of nthe oesophageal patients Association or from Free e-books.

?Whatever you do, some form of relaxation technique is worth trying to reduce tension and stress, because that does make it worse.   Some people get misdiagnosed as if they had an eating disorder like bulimia.

The tests that indciate what is wirng are a barium swallow, and endoscopy, and manometry.

• Posted

Melissa, you sound just like me. At this very moment, I am eating my soup that I put in my nutribullet. I am so devestating having this and I miss eating terribly. Melissa, talk to me anytime. Support is life changing, as this is very hard living with everyday.

Take care, mary

• Posted

I'm replying to you Pipsqueak and everyone on here. I am living the same exact hell as everyone else on here and often have to fight my will to live every day.. Having said that I have two suggestions, one is for anyone having tightness maybe look into TMJ? Secondly and lastly there is an operation to help and that involves getting Botox into your esophageal muscles, but you would first have to have a monometry test to determine . Only reason I haven't had that operation is because I'm wayyyyyyyyy to chicken to go through the monometry test. To summarize I believe the dysphasia is 90% a side effect of GERD. Good luck everyone.

• Posted

I'd go to different doctor for this you need to see a Castro doc get that scope up your nose down your throat. Good luck I been dealing with it for years now I had had symptoms of gall bladder attach and they took it out now like 20 yes later I'm having acute symptoms and had barium test that showed it. But my MD and gastro doc didnt look more into it so I did called up at OHSU in Portland Oregon and they did test NOW waiting on surgeons to contact me been waiting 3wks now !!! Gonna make calls tomorrow crack the whip. I have bad bad muscle spams that send me to er and well they dont help just a shot and aggravation with million questions. Good luck !😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.