Swelling

Posted , 4 users are following.

i know this is a marathon and I am beginning to fully embrace this however I am feeling like getting range of motion is coming slowly & I believe it’s because of excess swelling. Talking with PT I am really not over doing it but my knee does swell. I had this problem with this knee even before surgery.  If I keep swelling how am I going to ever get ahead with ROM one day 120 next day 112 this is discouraging. I finally see doc on Wed for first time since staples were removed 9/1/17.  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You are very early in. Your knee will have swelling for months. I am 7 months out and still have swelling. The knee functions ok but after exercise it still swells and gives me some discomfort. Use ice and anti inflammatory meds if you have them. It will get better over time. Hang in there
    • Posted

I wouldn’t be ok with the swelling it’s just making it hard to get measurement I think that PT wants. The stiffness when swollen is so frustrating. I am super appreciative of your insight. I am trying to keep that in mind. So you almost 11 weeks early and I can still get better is so reassuring. I remind myself from others it’s a marathon. I guess I just thought I could run a little faster lol
  • Posted

I thought I would be up and running at 6 weeks. No way, so I have learned to work with whatever I get with this thing. Just keep gently pushing your self, you will get there.
    • Posted

Thank so for your encouragement I so need it. I wish you too continued success. So nice to have ppl to share with who know this process
  • Posted

Hi Robin, and congratulations on your successful knee replacement. I had both of my knees replaced. The right one in January of 2016 and the left one two months later in March. And yes, you are very early on in this long and difficult journey.

But hope and good healing are always coming in the days and weeks ahead. We just all reach our goals and overcome discomfort at different paces.

Unfortunately swelling is one of those things that you will have to probably deal with for a long time to come. Just think of how your bones muscles and ligaments are conforming to work, and bond with your new titanium and plastic joint.

How amazingly resilient our bodies are!

At your stage I remember dealing with the discomfort of swelling which was terribly debilitating.

Ice, elevating, medications (both pain and anti-inflammatory depending on the degree of discomfort) we're all used to get out of pain and discomfort. Sometimes you just need to get off your feet if you've overdone it. I also found was that the stationary bike I have here in my home was an absolute necessity in rehabilitating my knees. Something about that pedaling motion and having all of your weight off of your knees while you did it was so therapeutic. Even just a couple of minutes of cycling was wonderfully loosening, and it even seemed to guide all those muscles and ligaments where they needed to be.

Sleeping with a pillow between your knees also helps. I do that to this day.

Robin I hope you know that it's so normal to feel what you are experiencing. And I assure you that in time, everything DOES get better. Week-by-week you will notice your body healing, and you'll be reaching goals that just a few before might have seemed nearly impossible. Again it's amazing.

I hope this helps, keep the faith, and I know that it's a slow process but know in your heart it gets better.

I hope you are going through this with dear ones near for you to be able to talk to through all of this. Their love and comfort to you are priceless gifts.

Remember you're strong. Hang in there.

Love, blessings, and healing.

Deb

• Posted

deborah thank you so much for your encouragement and visualization of everything healing around new knee. That makes the swelling a bit more doable when I think they need to bond with knew man made knee. And yes it’s remarkable what the body is able to do to make us whole again. 

I can bike at gym. I just started doing this. My physical therapist said do it anywhere from 10-30min depending what I can do. She emphasized most important thing is getting seat as close as possible to allow full rotation. I will do this tomorrow but I know it will require icing and elevation afterwards. But before I ice I am thinking I should do heel slides then ice since knee might be warmed up more. 

Anyways thank you so very very much. I am glad you understand and have managed very well through your recovery as well! I like your upbeat attitude. So many good strong ppl here. I feel truly blessed to have found this site

• Posted

Everyone in this forum is so sympathetic to what people who have had knee replacement are going through. Their experiences and the way they have dealt with overcoming different obstacles is a great way to learn from what other people have been through. I have to admit that I love to read the replies from Chico Marx and Old Fat Guy... both are awesome in their humor and great information!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.