Swelling after ankle surgery

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hello,

I had ankle surgery and my cast was taken off over a month a go.

I can stand on my 2 legs but can't walk.

Every time I exercise with crutches or stand to cook my foot swells and goes purple.  Does anybody know how long the swelling will last for?

I was cryptically told by a nurse that the last thing to go is the swelling.

Any ideas?

I am really fed up and frustrated.  It is all taking so long and progress is so slow.  The whole business has made me depressed and negative.

Molly

2 likes, 318 replies

318 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Early days. Elevate as often as possible and used iced ace bandages and keep ahead of the pain. It may help you to use one of those stretch stockings, it certainly helped me in the early weeks.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

You are right.  It is early days...  I have one of those stretch stockings.  I wear it during day time only. I use ice bandages too.  Although I am surprised that my foot will swell even when I am sitted.  I am fed up sitting on my bed and having my foot raised.  How long did it take you before you could walk without aid?

• Posted

Dear Molly

Yes it is boring! I think it was just about a month but not quite certain but was driving a manual car at six weeks on the road but a bit sooner in our large yard.

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

I agree with Richard. Ankles take their sweet time and this is all what many of us experienced. It's hard to be patient, but you will probably be almost as good as new in 12 months, and a heck of a lot better by month 4, and then month 6 is a big turning point. Hang in there. Many of us have walked this walk and know what you are going through. It is very frustrating!

• Posted

Oh, Patti don't say 12 months.  It is so long!

12 months starting from the operation or after you are free of the cast?

Molly

• Posted

This was the experience for me and my friends on here the broke 2-3 bones in the ankle:

4 months- you will feel alive again

6 months- you will be walking pretty well

9 months- 85-95%

12-13 months - 99% -almost perfect

Everyone is different but our healing almost matched week by week!

• Posted

It is a realistic estimate.  I was operated on the 14th of Jan and it would be next Jan when I might be walking again.  Thanks Patti
    • Posted

I had s open compound hairline fracture back in Feb and I'm walking with a boot and no crutches but I use them in public, it is a slow process healing time, my Dr told me i would be back to walkin like I was before my injury in 6-8 months.

• Posted

Im sorry Molly i havnt a clue how long it will last but i just wanted you to know your not alone in this mess...How i wish i could stand 😩 i find i too have bad days and negative thoughts and sometimes nothing will help....but then i see photos of the day i had my accident n realise ive come along way really.....i admit sometimes this doesnt help but thats why i joined here to realise im not so alone and to talk to people in similar situations...hope your walk soon luv maria

• Posted

Hi Maria,

Sure is good to know we arn't alone.  Never imagined there would be so many people suffering from fractured ankles.  It is like when one is pregnanst start seeing there are so many around biggrin

Good idea to look at the pictures and realise the progress you made.

It all takes ages and is hard to appreciate the progress made.

I keep stuffing myself with food to compensate!

Spring is here and can't even get out in the garden as there are steps

to negotiate!  Awful really!  Can you stand at all without support?  Well, that is all I can do.  Getting rid off the cast was a great relieve though.

Concentrate in getting better and remember we aren't alone.

Hug,

Molly

• Posted

I too want to get out in the garden. I am a garden designer and you can imagine how hard this must be! But I'm having my landscaper come and clean up all of my beds - something I do myself but cannot. I'm looking at it like how great it'll be to have them all look great but I don't have to do the work! By the way - I broke my ankle doing fall cleanup of my gardens!

We'll be in the garden before we know it! 🌷🌷🌷🌸🌸🌸🌺🌺🌺🌼🌼🌼🌼🌻🌻🌻

• Posted

I'm a gardening girl and it's killing me not to be out there planting and decorating. We have a wine tasting party being thrown in our backyard this month.

My husband is wonderful but not the type to take those extra steps I would to make it beautiful for the get together.

The pace of this recovery is...SLOW.

Hope you can garden soon. I get it!

🌹🌸🌺💐🌹🌸🌺💐🌹🌸🌺💐

• Posted

Molly My surgery was Dec 16 so I have another th on you and I'm in the same boat , but still have the cast on. I do a little walking with crutches gets purple a swells. I can't really stand without holding onto something and putting more weight on my good leg. I too am frustrated. Next week supposed to go to one crutch , but I don't know if I can do it yet. Still some snow to melt in our garden , it's hard to miss out on so many things.

I really hope that girl was right on her post saying walking really good by 6 months! That would be so great!

Margie

• Posted

Take courage from a video I made of me walking at twenty weeks. It goes without saying that I was walking without any sticks etc much earlier perhaps five weeks. Put the following into Google. Yogesh total hip replacement.

You will see me briskly walking up a steep slope, walking across a gravel yard and running up and down stairs. I was 71 at the time BTW. Oh yes at the time was finishing the internal woodwork of this building.

Take courage

Richard

• Posted

Thanks Richard,

Sounds like you got back on your feet rather quickly! Walking is such a basic thing we take for granted. I am much more humble now and appreciate whT the handicapped go thru. Keep climbing those hills!!!

You are great inspiration to us all!!

Margie

• Posted

Hi Margie,

I find your progress is similar to mine.  You are a month behind me so, in a month you will stand but not walk.  When I stand I put more weight on my good foot for sure.  I think Patti's estimate is realistic. I mean to copy it and stick it on my fridge. 

I am surprised you weren't taught to use crutches.  You can use them for day one as you don't have to use your bad leg if you don't want to.  But you need to be shown.  It took me a while to get confient with them.

The problem is when you use crutches you can't carry anything.  While with my wheelchair I can carry most things.

Wow, hard to believe you still have snow.  Do you think there are many people fracturing bones by falling down on the icy roads or are they used to it?  

I am not too well mood wise but will reply to your mail soon.

You are doing well but everything is so slow that is hard for us to appreciate.

Take good care of yourself,

Molly

• Posted

Janness,  I also hope we'll be soon back gardening.

I fear I am putting to much weight on sitting on my bottom most of the time.

What an exciting job you have! Did you fall from a ladder or tree?

Molly

• Posted

You bet we will be walking Molly!

I do use the crutches really well but I want to get down to only one crutch which you have to be able to bear quite a bit, 75% of your bw. My goal is to walk unaided in 4 weeks, so I'm going to do pool rehab next week . I'll let you know if it helps.

Sunny and us 15 today😎

Margie

• Posted

Thanks Margie

I've been very fortunate heath wise during my life generally and having been self employed since 1963 this has kept me motivated, so I have this annoying tendency to think YES I can over come regardless!

All the best

Richard

• Posted

Janess,

You must have had a baaad landing!

I think I will try weeding the places I can reach but my

husband doesn't want me to!

• Posted

Margie,

My present ambition is to have 1 crutch!  Can't imagine how

people do it.  Pool rehab sounds good.  Don't think we have

this option here.  I prefer it when is gloomy otherwise I get

envious biggrin We had sun yesterday, it is grey and getting ready for

a shower again.  Typical English weather and we are pretty used

to it neutral.  Keep up your efforts and wish you strength.

Talk to you soon,

Molly

• Posted

Have you been to pool rehab Margie?

How does it work? Hope is helpful.

I would be scared to go to the pool because of the wet and slippery

surfaces...  Take care,

Molly

• Posted

I just happened upon this site and am so glad. We had a snow in Madison, Miss. On Dec. 8 Which is so rare!,I had taken lots of pictures and was on a hill and fell and broke my ankle. I am 3 weeks post surgery and trying hard to remain positive. Have a removable boot but am having a hard time not being able to do much of anything. Have a walker and a knee roller walker but it is exhausting. I miss being in the great outdoors!I know everyone heals differently so good luck to all who are in the same boat!
    • Posted

Hello, I am 5 weeks post surgery and I have the removable boot cast which is an aircast select boot. Recently, I have tried walking without the boot and I have been gradually doing ankle rehab exercises and strenghtening with positive results. I could walk now with a slight limp with the help of a cane on the opposite side or unaffected leg. I was advised to not to baby my injured ankle and to get it back into action the soonest time as tolerated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.