Swelling after ankle surgery

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hello,

I had ankle surgery and my cast was taken off over a month a go.

I can stand on my 2 legs but can't walk.

Every time I exercise with crutches or stand to cook my foot swells and goes purple.  Does anybody know how long the swelling will last for?

I was cryptically told by a nurse that the last thing to go is the swelling.

Any ideas?

I am really fed up and frustrated.  It is all taking so long and progress is so slow.  The whole business has made me depressed and negative.

Molly

2 likes, 318 replies

318 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hang in there...I know this is a frustratedly long process. I had surgery for a bimallelor fracture on Jan 3. I still have swelling and that awful purple colored foot/calf. My doc and physical therapist said that can take up to a year to go away unfortunately. Just yesterday was the first time I've walked with out my crutches so you are still very early in your recovery. Keep in mind that everyone heals at different rates but it will get better. I know its hard but be patient and make sure to elevate and ice your ankle.

Good luck :-)

• Posted

Well done Alissa.  You are doing really well.  I had my surgery on Jan 14 but can no way walk without crutches.  Maybe you have been exercising and had physio already.  I am still waiting to have a physiotherapist.

All the best to you too :-)

Molly

• Posted

Yeah Ive been going to physical therapy 2-3 times a week for almost a month. I've really been pushing myself and it is very painful but I'm seeing benefits. Get into pt as soon as you can. It helped significantly. Your about 2 weeks behind me and at your stage I was still using 2 crutches also. I would suspect you'll see great improvement in the next couple weeks.

• Posted

You are having physio quite frequently.  Are you on private care?

Here it would be only once a week (UK nhs). I went upstairs using one crutch and the banister of course which is a big improvement. 

Sure physio is painful but do you stop when it hurts?

What is the attitude of your therapist?

My threshold of pain must be one of the lowest and when it hurts

I can't carry on.

• Posted

I'm in the US and actually have state insurance (Medicaid). My therapist is great about pushing me but not too much and I do stop when it gets too painful. There been a few time he wanted me to do like 30 of a particular exercise but I could only manage 15 or 20. There have also been 2 days I came in and told him I was in a lot of pain so we focused more on stretches.

Do you have a hard sided brace? I can't walk without mine or my shoes on. It gives me a lot more stability and cushion. You have to listen to your body and stop when you've got too much pain. Like I said these last two weeks, especially this week, I've seen great improvement. I still haven't been able to make it up the stairs though. 😔 Way to go! That's something I really want to do.

• Posted

Alissa, I am impressed with your therapist.  He takes in account how you feel without pushing you too hard.  

I fear getting a bossy one.  I am still on a waiting list here!

I only had cast for 7 weeks and then was left to manage with crutches and wheelchair.

True, way to go but we will eventually get there! lol

• Posted

Hi molly!

I think we all know how you feel. Progress is very slow & requires a lot of patience. It is depressing. However, I've handled that by realizing that what I accomplished this week I could not have done last week.

Are you in PT? My great PT has gotten me through these bumps in the road. Had to teach me how to go down the steps this week.

I broke my ankle on 11/13, surgery 11/18 & 1/11. NWB for 3 months. It's tiring too. Once I accepted that recovery would be slow, it has been easier to handle. Also I wrote everything down - PT exercises , pain levels, meds. I look back & I see I'm progressing even tho it doesn't feel like it especially on gloomy rainy March days.

Hang in there!

• Posted

Janesse,

I am still waiting to get a PT.  That is national health for us :-(

Good idea to keep a diary to see your progress.  I can't

stick to it.  These days I can see there is some progress.

It is all too slow but at least we know it is happening. :-)

Molly

• Posted

Hi Molly,

My surgeon told me it will take up to 12 months for the swelling to stop. I am 10 weeks post surgery could weight bear for 4 weeks however now back in the wheelchair and another op on 27th to remove the screws. Two steps forward one step back. fingers crossed for both of us. You have to stay positive.

• Posted

Marian,

That is what they say about swelling.  I was told it will be the last thing to go by a nurse.  Not entirely true though.  I had my surgery on Jan 14 and the swelling is not as bad as it used to be unless if I spend long time standing.  Still is nothing like it was the first weeks.

In England they don't seem to remove the screws.  Never met anyone in the hospital who said that.  Asked the doc he said no, they don't do that.  Anyhow, removing the screws and recovering from it won't be nothing like having the surgery we had.  In a few days you will probably feeling just like before the removal.  It is a weird thing having to keep the screws inside you.  We will make it but it is easy to forget it when in pain or frustrated.  Let us know how the removal goes. Wishing you strength.

Molly

• Posted

Hi again molly

I can move around with crutches but im nwb week 13 now!!!! So annoying!!! Going hospital next week so fingers crossed im all good to start feeling the pain of trying to walk and wake up my ankle😅 shouldnt laugh...i had an open fracture so thats why mine has taken so long i think... i prefer it when its bad weather outside as i feel like im not missing much😊 and we should be walking fine for summer (im in england so more rain😅wink..keep trying luv and stay strong more peolpe here with broken bones just hiding in our homes

Luv maria

• Posted

Maria,

Gloomy days definitely suit me better now that I became a grumpy woman.  On sunny days  get envious.  This surgery got the worse out of me :-)  I am in S-E England and never loved the rain more than I do now.  I enjoy my soaps, especially Cori even more too!

The news from the hospital are bound to be much better, not to worry.

We expect the worse but we make progress.  I only wish it all went a bit faster. Have a good day biggrin

• Posted

To all

Its hospital day today and i feel so emotionl...im such i wreck im praying for good news as with 2 kids life has been getting worst slowly...the first 8 weeks i felt ok but seriously need a boost now😢

• Posted

Dear Maria

Best of luck for you today. The sun is shinning here and I hope it is for you!

All the very best

Richard

• Posted

Hello RichardKen

Well their is no sun near me ken but i think an angel is looking after me I can start to walk!!!! Thank u sooo much for your response in total 13 weeks nwb is a lifetime....i just cried all day n even now i think it must be pure relief...i had an open fracture with external fixators on for the 1st 6 weeks...soo glad to be moving on and probably be back here moaning soon but todays a great day in my story

With love maria

• Posted

Dear Maria

Excellent news, what a relief for you. Onwards and upwards!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Great news Maria!

Welcome to the walking club. Do you have a walking boot? Do you use crutches to walk with?

I was 13 weeks nwb also so I know how you feel. I'm still in the walking boot and walk along with my crutches. Take it slow and easy the first little bit. Use be incredibly hard with two kids!

Good luck!

Margie

• Posted

Hello margie

What a highly emotional day ive truly had must of cried a river today....(but so much relief) yes i was put straight into a walking boot at 6 weeks as soon as they took the external fixator out also i taught myself to use crutches to get around better still nwb...i start physio soon but ive just tried to show my kids 8 and 6 years old what i can do n they were not impressed slower than a snail n snails dont have crutches😂😂😂they said!!! I dont think i heard much of what the doctor said coz i cried the minuet he said my name n didnt stop crying much all day even though it was good news....i know he said i can weight bear as much as i like or can tollerate...just glad i can put my foot down 😇 how long have you been weight bearing for???

I wish you well love maria xxx

• Posted

I've been weight bearing for 21/2 weeks. I walk along with the crutches. I try to put more weight on it but it swells and hurts. I'm going to try a walker next week cause one crutch is too hard for me to balance and hurts. Take it easy , do little bursts of walking . At night Ice and elevate, and by the morning the swelling goes down again. It is an emotional time some days I'm crying and others pretty good.

Good luck!

Margie 🤗

• Posted

How did the hospital visit go Maria?

I keep my fingers crossed for you  :-)

• Posted

Hey Molly

I can now start to walk🎉🎉 sooo happy i had been getting more and more stressed about the hospital visit n more n more sadder....i cried nearly all day...thanks for thinking about me 😘 today is a great day...doctor said i can weight bear as much as i like..so will probably be back here for tips soon...as for now its good just to put my foot on the floor and not worry never mind move it? how are you doing??? I do hope your ok if not im here luv maria

• Posted

Maria,

That's great news !! :-)  

Can't find as pretty emoticons as you do to add on.

Don't know why but the range I am offered is pretty dreadful...

Doc gave you good advice.  

Weight bear as much as you can.  You will know when to stop.

I made progress since the surgery of Jan 14.  

I can stand and swirl around but need my crutches or wheelchair to do more than that.  I did go upstairs and downstairs with my crutches.  But bad foot still swells and gets pretty purple if I overdo it. Tomorrow I plan to get out and start weeding (on my knees or bottom, whatever it takes!!!). Will park the wheelchair next to me.

How are you koping with young kids and a bad leg?

Can't be easy ...

Enjoy your weekend, keep it up and share any time !

Molly  

• Posted

Hi Molly

Im truly just loving putting my foot on the floor (small thing are the best) and as long as i see improvement however small its a gain...really the last couple of weeks just waiting aroud for my appointment was bad your just stuck in limbo....I hope you do get out in england where i am its suppost to be a great weekend and boy my garden needs doing....my kids are ok i did my accident taking them out so as much as i wanna go out with them thats what got me in this mess...my good friends take them school n collect them...It truly is the little things that get me through as life can always be soo much worst...but i seem to have developed a thing for ankles😂😂 just watching people move n truly being amazed how much 1 bone can change your world n how lucky we are..its nice being here with others in the same boat as im always a could of been worst person but this has truly taken it out of me but hopefully my path is going upwards now n just 1 little step at a time...with love maria....

• Posted

Maria,

Glad you feel positive and have a good friend to help out with your little ones. They are a bundle of joy but energy too at that age!  So, you have to watch out when they are running around!

It is funny but I have the same 'deep' thoughts looking at people's ankles.

We definitely have a different view of life after this darn accident!

It was a sunny day.  In the afternoon, I just set on my bottom, red my crime thriller and enjoyed the lovely weather.  Can't go out. On the top of everything else, we live on a hill !! Do you live in England too?

The worse days are long gone.  Enjoy your Sunday,

Molly

• Posted

Bless u Molly sat on your bum outside...we do find ways in the end to get through....yes im in manchester i sometimes imagine people like you are actually on my street and how funny that would be as you never know how close someone can be and what bonds people...Ive been outside trying to practice walking while my kids play...Im truly on cloud 9???about being able to put my foot down you would think i could run hahaha😂 I know its a long way and very bumpy but hopefully i/we will get their...all the best Maria xxx

• Posted

Happy Easter Maria!

Well done for practising walking!  It feels good when we can sense the progress.  The problem though it is all soooo slow and patience is not my forte...  

We live down in Surrey. My husband is from Liverpool.  We used to spend lots of time up there when kids were young.  One day will visit Manchester to The Coronation Street!!  

I can now go up and down with my crutches.  So much better sleeping in my bad again. I did some spring cleaning these days and my ankle wasn't happy at all.

It seems this swelling will stay long time with us...

Anyway have good fun with your kids and egg hunting!

Talk to you again and remeber to put your bad foot up biggrin  Molly

• Posted

Happy Easter to you too🐣

Hope everything is going well for you, i went to physio and they are going to refer me to hydrotherapy as my foot ROM is that bad.....but no sadness as i told the physio my foot has got more movement than a month ago😉 he laughed 😂 ... Now i have the choice of shaving my legs for the 1st time in ages or buying an all-in -one costume hahaha 😕(the costume seems the easiest choice😉wink I do hope you get to coronation street them cobbles will be like a final challange to you and a treat🎉 I hope you have an amazing day take care Molly luv Maria🐥🐣🐥

• Posted

Hello Molly and other kind helpfull ankle people👣

As you know i can start to try and walk now and even though im trying im now douhting if im doing it right...I dont have much ROM i try and walk barefoot inside and if i do go out my big airboot comes too..Im not complaining/sad just confused really dont get any pain/swelling so does that mean im not putting enough weight on it??? Im on 2 crutches i have tried 1 but it hurts alittle too much..only had 1 physio 2 weeks ago and dont go back to him untill 2 more weeks...

• Posted

It takes a lot of time and work to get ROM. I just got to one crutch , but only do it in the house as it is slower and yes much harder. I have a walker and it seems to put more weight on then two crutches. Do you ABC with your toes , drawing out the letters I. The air with your toes to I

Prove ROM. I can't go to no crutches yet as it hurts too, much so I feel your frustration. It is such a slow process and we just want to get walking!!!

Good luck you'll get there soon!

Margie

• Posted

Thanks Margie

I do practise the alphabet and at the begining nearly 3 weeks ago it seemed pointless as my foot didnt look like it was moving at all😯 but now i can see improvement....Im happy with any small new thing i can do..everyone seems to have different help/physio...i was crying constantly when i saw the doctor last so i didnt ask any questions....also 1 physio at week 14 and then nothing now till week 18??? Maybe this is because their waiting for hydrotherapy as they said i need this...but i keep reading the more physio you have the better you recover?? Do you think this is so??? Or is it more practise what i have been shown as little as it was??? Its the waiting i hate the most

Take care Mariaxxx

• Posted

Hello RichardKen

Watched your video last night well done you...you must be so proud and happy🎉🎉🎉 and your right theirs not enough good inspiring things out their so thanks💋 maria...

• Posted

Hello Maria

Glad you found the time to watch it.  Hope you enjoyed hearing the birds and seeing my two dogs neither of which sadly are no longer alive. 

All the best

Richard

• Posted

I have not gone to physio as my doctor is not a fan. He said just walk and do the ABC's. Walking is all you need. However my son broke his tib/fib a couple of years ago and I went with him to all his PT and we have all the stretchy bands and I know all the excercises and we have an excersise bike so I've basically been doing it all. I think it helps strengthen muscles so you can walk faster. I had my Achilles done as well, so I have that Achilles stretcher thing they have you use at physio. I think hydrotherapy would be great they don't have that here. I've been to the pool with my husband and it is nice to be able to walk in the water and move freely!

Good luck!

Margie

• Posted

Hello Molly

How are u doing now?😊 better i hope 😀

I dont use any crutches no more but am in pain walking along without them sometimes and also in pain when i first get up off the sofa from resting espesialy if its a soft sofa the harder the chair the less pain!!! My walk is strange but hopefully that will get better and my steps are small a toddler is faster than me😯

Let me know how u are doing as its nearly 6 months now for both of us luv maria😘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.