Swelling after hydrocelectomy

Posted , 86 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same experience I have had following a hydrocelectomy.  I am now 10 weeks post op and still have some swelling (egg size) I saw my doc about 5 weeks after surgery and he didnt seem concerned and doesnt want to see me again till December. I have read it can take 3-6 months for all swelling to subside but I was just curiouse if anyone has had the same problem as me as I am still kind of nervous. 

4 likes, 295 replies

295 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I saw the Urologist and he ordered an ultrasound.  But he says that things are coming back to normal.  He said that it is normal for things to take 6 months...Its only 3 months now.  I think age may be a factor even though I am healthy.  If you have a sence of humour...I was out about a month after surgery and the wife of a friend insisted I tell her what the operation was.  Her husband chirped up and said in the hockey world damage to these areas is quite common and yje operation is referred to a "nut tuck" !
  • Posted

I saw the Urologist and he ordered an ultrasound.  But he says that things are coming back to normal.  He said that it is normal for things to take 6 months...Its only 3 months now.  I think age may be a factor even though I am healthy.  If you have a sence of humour...I was out about a month after surgery and the wife of a friend insisted I tell her what the operation was.  Her husband chirped up and said in the hockey world damage to these areas is quite common and the operation is referred to a "nut tuck" !
  • Posted

Hi Just doing some research & came across this site, i had a Hydrocele op 3 weeks ago. I have lots of swelling, its bigger than the original swelling. The wound has healed up & the stiches have disolved, so the pain has almost gone, its just uncomfotable with a pulling feeling & every now & then i get a sudden wave of pain which disipates fairly quickly. I was sent on my way from hospital with the consultant saying the op was successful with no followup needed. I went to see my GP after 2 weeks because of the excessive swelling & the discomfort walking around, i'm usually on my feet at work for 6 - 8 hours a day. My Gp has referred me back to the consultant as he thinks it has come back, Deep joy! Just wondered how long the swelling lasted as i'm getting a bit cheesed off swinging this boulder around1
    • Posted

My swelling never really went away after 4 months i saw my doc again and he scheduled an ultrasound. He said some fluid came back and he would do another slightly different procedure this time so I had surgery 2 days ago. When I awoke from surgery he said he was expecting the size of my testicle be due to about 40-50% fluid but it was only about 10-15% so all the "swelling" was actually my testicle which had some how grown to about the size of a small egg. He had no explanation for me and said wait to see what happens when the swelling goes down from this last procedure(in about 2-3 months). I don't want to freak you out he initially told me it would take 2-3 months for swelling to go down so I wouldn't start worrying at this point and I had the pulling feeling as well it went away after about 5-6 weeks its from where the attach the testicle to the scrotum. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will answer the best I can,  happy holidays and good luck.
  • Edited

I am now 3 1/2 months since the hydrocele repair.  Had an ultrasound a couple of weeks ago.  Urologist is happy with progess even though there is still some enlargement...now the size of a small hen egg.  The good news is that the scrotum is not as stretched out.  That was my primary focus was was stretched before...to actually touch toilet water in high water toilets.   My only complaint was that I was not told of the swelling to be expected after surgery.  If Urologists are reading this blog, please tell your customers what to expect.  That would help with the depression people are feeling on this blog.
  • Posted

Thanks for getting back guys, I knew there would be some swelling afterwards, but not as much as this. Your comments are reassuring in the fact the amount of swelling seems normal, but i wish i was made aware of the time it takes before the swelling goes down. I'm not getting the pain as such just a stinging sensation around where the stiches were. I'm back to see my consultant soon so hopefully i will get some positive news.

The information being posted certainly has helped me so thanks for everyone input. For me its frustrating as at the moment i feel i'm back to square one. Lets hope it works out for us all in the end. I'm looking forward to a better New Year! & wishing the same to all on this blog

• Posted

Hey, son the 4th or 6th f this month it would have been 5 months since my operation. To be honest, i feel like it is still bigger than it was before, its defintiley harder and swollen, mine was only tiny, and even on the day i considered not having the operation done. So I plan to book and appointment with my docotor and hopefull they will issue and ultrasound. Whatever he says, i will post here, so you can see whn you reach the 5 month mark, if you are in the same postion. Good Luck.
    • Posted

Good luck with your appointment, 5 months is not good!, mine is definately bigger now, but i will see how it goes over the nexy couple of months. I  should be seeing the consultant again soon so hopefully will have some news.
  • Posted

Hi, my name's Daniel and I'm a 15 year old high school student. I discovered that I had a left hydrocele 1 year ago a few weeks before my sports physical in June. Immediately I wanted to know what I had to do for it to go away. I had to wait for three months for the doctor to see it the size of the testicle was increasing to decide where to go from there. Once the surgery was scheduled for December 22 I researched like crazy to see what was going to happen. This website helped me to realize that it wasn't that big of a deal so, now that the operation is over, I decided to write a review. My first surgery went according to planned and the urologist decided that the absence of a drain would help me to heal faster. That ended up being the wrong decision and, a month later, he said that the surgery was unsuccessful and that I would have to have it again. My second surgery was May 11, just 3 weeks ago. My new urologist told me that everything was fine but that they put a drain in. It came as a huge surprise to me that the so-called 30-60 minute operation took 3 hours so I asked: this time around they made multiple incisions and trimmed off every millimeter of excess skin they could find. I was forced to take school of for two weeks and, yes, the drain was still in. After developing a "tumor" on the underside behind my left testicle I had an appointment scheduled and the urologist squeezed me in to see what was so bad. My testicle was completely healed but the stitches they used were silk and my scrotum swelled up to the size of a tennis ball "tumor" that was as hard as a rock. The urologist immediately took out the drain and said I was good to go. That was today and, so far, I am well on my was to recovery.

This will probably not happen to you since the chance of even the first procedure not working is 1 in a 100. My advice to you is to ask for nylon stitches and not silk and to also not get worked up over the drain being removed. I promise that you won't feel a thing when it is removed.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply unfortunately I am 5 months post 2nd surgery and my testicle is still the size of a golf ball. I am going to see a different Dr. when I get a chance as I lost all faith in the one who did the previous 2 surgeries(unsuccessfully in my opinion). Like I said its still the size of a golf ball and feels quite heavy but its the testicle itself (and epidytimis) not the scrotum or "hydrocele". Everything seems larger I have read the testicle may be always be slightly larger after this type of surgery but not 2-3x the size like mine is.
    • Posted

Oh and both times I never got a drain put in I wonder if that could be a reason as mine swelled to the size of a baseball after each operation.
    • Posted

Good morning. I am post 2nd surgery as well and wondered if you found different results with a different doctor.u hydrocele literally came back a month after my first surgery. I'm losing confidence in my doctor as well. This 2nd time the area is more swollen and has areas that are hard that I didn't have the first time. Having a post op appt tomorrow but called the dr and he said it may be the sutures. I don't think I would have gotten this done the first time had I known the pain in the ass this would be
    • Posted

I went with the same doc for the second surgery as he said some fluid had returned which is why the swelling didnt go down after the first surgery (it was about the size of a large chicken egg). He has 35 years experience and said he had done thousands of hydrocelectomy's so I had no reason to doubt him. I am almost 7 months post second surgery and my testicle is about the size of a golf ball still and feels very "meaty". I am trying to get an appointment with another urologist but im doing my do diligence in finding one I think is competent. I was really taken a back upon waking from my second surgery only to have the doc say the testicle was bigger than he thought and he couldnt perform the second procedure he only drained some fluid (it was only about 10-15% of the total volume) not sure how that could be as I had an ultrasound before hand so he should have been able to see what he was dealing with. When I asked him how at the age of 38 my testicle could grow he had no answer for me he just said I dont know. Depending on what procedure you had done and how far post op you are the hard things you are feeling might be wher they peeled up the sac around the testicle I still have that as well but it got a lot softer as time when on but my testicle still feels lumpy.
    • Posted

Oh and the backside of the testicle (epididytimis I think) and veins look swollen you can see them through the sack
    • Posted

Funny I had the exact same scenario where the dr told me that's why mine came back so quickly saying that I had fluid return. I actually had it aspirated about 2 months after the 1st surgery
    • Posted

I have that lumpy feeling as well but will wait a couple of months to see if it subsides.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.