Swelling after hydrocelectomy

Posted , 86 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same experience I have had following a hydrocelectomy.  I am now 10 weeks post op and still have some swelling (egg size) I saw my doc about 5 weeks after surgery and he didnt seem concerned and doesnt want to see me again till December. I have read it can take 3-6 months for all swelling to subside but I was just curiouse if anyone has had the same problem as me as I am still kind of nervous. 

4 likes, 295 replies

295 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Im about to do a smallish type up of my 1 year + experience of the surgery if you want to read it just check the Hyrdocele forums soon.
  • Posted

I totally forgot about this post but im about 10 months post second surgery (14 from first) and nothing has really changed. I saw another doc for a second opnion and he said there is nothing he can do. He said the "buildup" behind the testicle is scar tissue which is why the testicle looks larger. You can see it through the scrotum it almost looks like the testicle is covered 3/4 of the way around and its lumpy to the touch (kinda like you would think a brain would feel). Its about 2 and a half times its original size with mild pain on occasion. It hangs real low, at a weird angle and feels like it weighs a ton as the scar tissue ia thick and heavy. The doc said im not at the final stage of the scar tissue phase and it will most likely soften up a bit but that i am stuck with what I got. Its depressing but there isn't much I can do and I have other health issue I am dealing with.
    • Posted

Hi Guys not been on her for a while, i had to go back to the Consultant 4 times in the end, my swelling went down finally after around 7 months, i ended up with an haematoma,its now been 10 months its definately more comfortable than it was pre op, although i still get discomfort around the scar from time to time. hope things settle down & improve for yourselves.

• Posted

46 year old male had hydrocele since 30 years. And the left testicle has been growing through the years. Had corrective surgery hydrocelectomy October 2015. Had spinal anesthesia since I had a heart condition and the surgeon did not want to take a risk with general anasthesia. The operation took about an hour. Stayed in hospital for 2 days but I thought it was not necessary as except for routine monitoring of BP, sugar levels, there was nothing much that was done in the hospital. I had a jock strap for a week. No bath. Only wiped the body with a wet cloth. The jock strap was uncofortable and was removed after one week along with stitches removal (6 stitches). The wound did not heal and the joint did not close fully at time of removal of stitches. So cleaned with betadine solution for 2 weeks. Now it is 4 weeks since surgery and the wound closed fully. But, there is swelling still although it is far less than before surgery. Post-surgery also there was quite a bit of swelling and it is gradually reducing. I learnt that this is due to the 3 layers of stitches one inside the other. The outside stitches are removed and the internal stitches get absorbed over a period of time. Currenty after 4 weeks the left testicle is atleast 4 times the size of the right.
  • Posted

I had my operation four weeks ago. My hydrocle had a diameter of about 1,5 inces. Afte the surgery, the lump is much larger, the diameter now is about 4 inches.

The doctor/nurse said that the area will remaim swollen for a few weeks. 

But I wonder how long it will last, and how large it will be when the swelling has disappeared.    

• Posted

Doc told me it could take 4-6 months for all swelling to go down. Unfortunately in my case (and many others from what I have read) the testicle never returned to its normal size. I had my surgery about a year ago and it is still about 2 maybe 2 and a half the size it originally was. I got a second opinion and he said it was scar tissue and there wasn't anything that could be done.
  • Posted

Thank you so much for the reply. Now I just hope that it will end up smaller than it was before the operation. But I am not optimistic.
    • Posted

Mine stayed pretty big for about 6-8 weeks but did eventually get smaller, just not as small as before the hydrocele.
    • Posted

Nice to hear that. I will let you know how mine develops, or, hopefully, shrinks. Thanks for the replies.
  • Posted

Hey guys, i'm 18 years old and had hydrocele surgery on my right testicle 4 or 5 days ago, and am very thankful that there is some discussion on this.

I do have some observations/questions and it'd be great if anyone could provide some insight. As my surgery was very recent, I understand that swelling will persist for some time. What worries me is other people have compared their swell size to "an egg", while my entire testicle sack has swelled up to a very large size, around the size of a softball.

Was anyone else's swelling very extreme in the days immediately after their surgery? How long did it take to shrink from there? Also, how often did you ice your testicles? Almost all day, in the middle, or very little? And, did you put an icepack directly onto your testicles, or only through underwear? I ask this because I have developed a very uncomfortable rash, and I do remember the Doc saying icing the skin directly will irritate the skin.

Also, I have a lot of deeply purple bruising across my testicles, I have assumed this is common but I did not see any one else mention it. Did anyone experience serious bruising following surgery? How long did it take for it to go away?

Sorry for the wall of text guys, thank you so much for taking the time to read.

• Posted

Bother times I had mine done it swelled to the size of a softball for a good week or two so that's normal my sack was also purple for some time after the surgeries as well. The egg size reference is to how big it remained after surgery and healing was complete many times it remains egg size others are lucky and it returns to somewhat normal size.
    • Posted

Alright well that's pretty reliving I suppose, I'm talking to my Doc soon so i'll update if anything changes.
    • Posted

Also I iced it pretty much all day they gave me some ice packs at the hospital I just switched them out as they thawed.
    • Posted

Ya im 14 and have just gotten a hydrocelectomy and am very derpessed it is 2 days post op and im conviced its bigger than before i just wanna say good luck guys and dont lose faith!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.