Swelling after op and cannot do the exercises given me because of swelling

Posted , 12 users are following.

i only have paracetamol for pain relief and the knee is so swollen i cannot do exercises given me - i wish i not had the op

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi

how long ago did you have the op? I would expect you to have more than paracetamol. You are quite right, you cant exercise with a painful swollen knee, get some more pain meds and try iceing your knee.

GOOD LUCK,its a very hard op to recover from.

• Posted

I would have thought you would have more than paracetamol. celebrex will help the swelling, i agree you cant excercise when swollen and in pain. I only excercise when swelling is down. No one can really prepare you for the amount of pain we endure.

• Posted

i am unfortunately unable to take any other pain relief and the swelling is unbearable as i cannot walk very well and do the exercises

• Posted

ICE is your friend. It helps with swelling and pain. You will see such difference if you can ice often. I borrowed an "Active Ice" machine from a neighbor and had that running while i slept. It helped so much, BEST OF LUCK

• Posted

I went downstairs at 3.00am this morning to get the ice pack out of the freezer. I dropped off to sleep with it still on my knee.

• Posted

Thats great as long as you have a small cloth between your knee and the ice bag. I do the same now, even at 9 weeks po. I overdo and it swells. Doing great tho

• Posted

good morning maureen x swelling is hard because when it swells up you are very restricted with movements x you need to get a cool gel mat and put it infreezer x wrap it around your knee at least four times a day x it really works with keeping sweliing down x hope this helps x purchase it from home bargains x

• Posted

If you really can't take any other pain relief my thought would be to use ice and elevation for 30 mins to help the swelling, then do the exercise as best you can after icing. Repeat the icing after exercise. Try to build up the exercises gradually. Start with just a few heel slides ( even if you only manage to bend your knee the tiniest bit) and repeat that at least 3 times throughout the day. With walking, get on your walker or crutches and do a length of your hallway and living room then build it up to more lengths, making sure you use ice for the swelling afterwards. The exercise is absolutely essential to your recovery so you'll need to dedicate your whole day to your rehabilitation for a while. In the early weeks my mantra was 'pain meds / exercise / ice and rest / repeat' and that's what I dedicated my day to really. Just aim for small improvements - adding just one more heel slide to your reps or managing just a few more steps. You have to do it and you can! GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

thank you - i am doing the slides but with difficulty as the swelling restricts mei have ice coolers in freezer and replace one with anotherso i do know i am doing the right thingmany thanks

• Posted

Then it will improve with time. I felt the first 4/5 weeks were horrendous and I would never make progress and be able to bend my knee again. Now after ten weeks I have 135 degrees bend. You'll get there.

• Posted

how long ago did you have your op? you must keep using the ice pack it will help with the swelling.

• Posted

10 days ago now - using ice packs too back at hospital for review tomorrow but my pain is horrendous and not under control with just paracetamol hopefully ill be addressed tomorrow

• Posted

thats early days. i had mine done 17 weeks ago. pain has subsided and just take paracetamol at night. whole leg is still bigger than the other but apparently it takes a good year for it all to get back to normal.

stick with it and you will be pain free soon.

good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.